Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    We're looking into this as a research area. We do a lot of stuff with EEG, but I think that on its own is only about 70% reliable
    What makes you say that? I'm doing some research with EEG at the minute and it's entirely reliable, so long as you use it when asking the right questions. That's the same problem as exists with any other technology though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    What makes you say that? I'm doing some research with EEG at the minute and it's entirely reliable, so long as you use it when asking the right questions. That's the same problem as exists with any other technology though.
    Well, that's just it. I'm sure the actual readings are accurate, but it's a question of trying to tie increases in activity down to a specific cause that's less reliable. We're investigating it with playing games right now in order to find out what the right questions are. Like you said earlier, identification of specific emotions is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardry View Post
    interesting, but i can't see any of this being appropriate for crpgs.
    what does that have to do with anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by CWalker View Post
    what does that have to do with anything.
    That this has no use for one particular genre?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Actually, CRPGs are probably the most appropriate genre to what we're using it for, since the tech we're developing is basically strongly influenced by the role of the GM in a PnPRPG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh great. Reacting to the player instead of the character. Nice job!

Banned
    Highly applicable for cRPGs. For example, if/when the system detects delta wave patterns during play, the game would do the right thing and turn itself off.

Jokes aside, i think there could be some pretty cool applications. Wouldn't it be interesting if, the player's in-game performance is affected in some way by the player's heart rate? For example, in a FPS if your heart rate and breathing is through the roof your aim would jitter. This could work pretty well in a horror game. It could also work in platformers, either of the Tomb Raider variety or the Mirror's Edge variety. Panicky players would have a hard type negotiating a tight-rope/thin beam sequence unless they collected their nerves and calmed themselves. I think something like that could really add an interesting new level to games.