Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    93

    Quickie: Can anyone recommend the better CK2 DLC's?

    So I seemed to have got sidetracked out of CK2, having only managed to put a few hours into it since I bought it.

    I'm looking forward to starting again and putting some serious Xmas hours into it and was surprised to see so much DLC available for it now. Can anyone recommend any of the DLC as being a "must have"?

    Ta, Jim

  2. #2
    Network Hub Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    309
    Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are the two main things you may want. They are the actual expansions, though as far as I'm aware, a lot of the stuff they have are also in the patches, though you can't use all of it. But I'm not entirely sure how that works.

    But yea, those two are the main DLCs as far as I see it. Most of the rest are either music, shields, face packs and the ruler designer.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  3. #3
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are the two main things you may want. They are the actual expansions, though as far as I'm aware, a lot of the stuff they have are also in the patches, though you can't use all of it. But I'm not entirely sure how that works.
    The new mechanics introduced by the DLCs are part of the patches that have being released for free, meaning that the AI countries will use the rules introduced in them. However, you need the DLCs if you want to play as a Muslim ruler or have the extra options added for the Byzantine empire.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are the two main things you may want. They are the actual expansions, though as far as I'm aware, a lot of the stuff they have are also in the patches, though you can't use all of it. But I'm not entirely sure how that works.
    I think it means that the other nations use the new systems that are in place but that you can't play as them and try them for yourself without buying the DLC.

  5. #5
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    93
    Thanks guys, just the feedback I was looking for.

  6. #6
    Network Hub Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordom View Post
    The new mechanics introduced by the DLCs are part of the patches that have being released for free, meaning that the AI countries will use the rules introduced in them. However, you need the DLCs if you want to play as a Muslim ruler or have the extra options added for the Byzantine empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I think it means that the other nations use the new systems that are in place but that you can't play as them and try them for yourself without buying the DLC.
    Right. Thanks guys. I pretty much bought both of those at release so I never actually looked into how they sorted the game for people without them in any detail.

    This seems like a good way of keeping feature parity (is this even a concept? I hate Monday brain.) between vanilla game and the DLCs while still maintaining an actual reason to purchase the DLC.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,790
    Get the Aztec DLC too, it's not canonical but just fun :D It's a reversed-role invasion from a plague-and-war bearing race.

  8. #8
    Activated Node qizarate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    94
    I'd actually highly recommend the music DLCs, because if you put as many hours into this game as i have (and trust me, you will) you'll very swiftly become bloody sick of hearing the same pieces over and over again. It helps that the extra music is extremely well done (see, for example 'The Holy Land'). I can't say that i didn't resent handing over cash for stuff that i would rather be included in the major expansions, but wait until next time it's 75% off - which will be soon - and you can pick it all up for pennies.

    *edit* i forgot to mention that the additional music is largely thematic - certain pieces might play if you're playing as a certain culture, if your character has very high piety, or if you capture jerusalem. If you never plan to play as an English character the songs of albion become fairly pointless, for example.
    Last edited by qizarate; 10-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by qizarate View Post
    I'd actually highly recommend the music DLCs, because if you put as many hours into this game as i have (and trust me, you will) you'll very swiftly become bloody sick of hearing the same pieces over and over again. It helps that the extra music is extremely well done (see, for example 'The Holy Land'). I can't say that i didn't resent handing over cash for stuff that i would rather be included in the major expansions, but wait until next time it's 75% off - which will be soon - and you can pick it all up for pennies.

    *edit* i forgot to mention that the additional music is largely thematic - certain pieces might play if you're playing as a certain culture, if your character has very high piety, or if you capture jerusalem. If you never plan to play as an English character the songs of albion become fairly pointless, for example.
    Yeah the extra music is nice but I was a very sad panda when I discovered that they're tied to particular cultures. I'd prefer it if they just played more often with the relevant cultures, but could still pop up when playing some other culture.

    Then again, there's probably a mod for that. Or maybe just a simple edit in a text file.

  10. #10
    Lesser Hivemind Node Jiiiiim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    753
    you could also just play music in the background for free >_>

  11. #11
    For anyone else thinking about this - they will be on 75% off in the next steam sale.

    To anyone without the game - get it, its really good. :)

    ---

    I am just starting again with the Balance mod. Will see if I prefer it to vanilla. :)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •