Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, probably. There was a pretty heavy conversation going on at the time that I was looking for help. So, I figured I would just ask here and if someone responded: awesome, and if not: I'd figure it out on my own.

Except one thing -- Anyone have any clue why the multi-port piece won't let anything attach to the four "side" openings? I can only attach things to the top and bottom. The one I used for my space station's core is a modified "stock" part.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NinebreakerN7 View Post
    Except one thing -- Anyone have any clue why the multi-port piece won't let anything attach to the four "side" openings? I can only attach things to the top and bottom. The one I used for my space station's core is a modified "stock" part.
    The builder's been a little glitchy in 0.18 with attaching parts non-vertically - I was mounting command pods on the same multi-block thing and finding that they'd only attach one way, or that docking ports wouldn't go on properly. Deleting the part and restarting typically sorted it for me.

Well I'm in, bought the game after work today and currently struggling to get a rocket into orbit. So close every time!

I bought this recently and loving it. I'm pretty terrible at it but getting better with more experimentation.

This is one game I definitely have no regrets over buying. Brilliant fun.

Alright, I've got a few satellites and a manned mission up in orbit now, with the manned orbit prepping to come down in a couple of in-game hours. I'm starting to think I should try something bigger, so what should I do: lunar landing or basic space station?

EDIT: Has anyone else picked up on the fact that this is basically a space version of a model railway?
    Last edited by thekev506; 28-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Go for the Mun first - intercepting, matching, and then docking with a target may be a bit tricky for KSP newcomers initially, whereas the lesser degree of precision required to get to the Mun will let you practice orbital manoeuvring a bit more before you encounter the "finding a needle in a haystack by throwing another needle into the haystack from a great altitude and hoping they hit" scenario that orbital rendezvous can be to start with.

So, random observation as I was looking at Kerban. Are they always the same, or are they randomly generated?

So, I haven't read any of this thread, because I'm deliberately avoiding even the most basic of KSP material until I've explored the game a bit more, I am finding it that exciting. I can't wait to get more involved but I'm still a huge liability.

I spent hours trying to just get a greenie into orbit, and was so, so, elated that I finally managed it! At that point I realised I didn't put anything on my last stage module (or, I later realised, a parachute anyway), so Bob is currently orbiting Kerbin forever... until I manage to complete my rescue mission. I think I can "End Flight", but there would be no fun in that.

I actually tried to push the module down using his jetpack while he was standing outside, but he floated hundreds of metres away and I nearly cried, but I managed to get him back safely before his jetpack ran out.

I then managed to get another module in orbit with engines, and got the orbit within 1km of intersecting. Then I found out the capsule can only seat 1. Anyway, on my way home I discovered that I didn't have enough fuel left to push me back down, so now I have 2 guys stuck in orbit...

Plan B is to send up that 3-kerbal capsule (I have 1 guy jump out while he's on the launchpad) but I have yet to put anything substantial in orbit. I am not looking at anyone's designs or the defaults that come with KSP or anything until I've got my dudes back, but it is such tremendous fun, I love it. Can't wait till I'm at you guys' level.

This is Bob floating away from his capsule, the image that keeps us going. Never leave a kerbal behind!
    screenshot20.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I report Bob died peacefully and painlessly, while burning alive in terror during re-entry in his flight suit. I tried to EVA to another capsule before I really had the hang of orbital manoeuvring and he didn't make it.

I plan to release the Robert Kerman Memorial Satellite along the exact orbit he was on before his untimely death.

I loaded up a parts mod from the Spaceport, are any of you guys using them? I didn't want to but they're so shiny, is it considered cheating to use these huge 5m fuel tanks, etc? Also, the basic manoeuvres wiki page was incredibly helpful, it should be included in the tutorials!

Any new and exciting happenings? I haven't played since the release of 0.19, and I'm still working on having things meet in orbit. There's something that I'm missing, but... I'll get it eventually. It'll just take a few more crash-and-burns, I'm sure.

so no word on multiplayer?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Okay, so...

I was working on a craft, for no particular reason other than I had the idea to build something with separate controllable / deployable parts. If you go to http://www.twitch.tv/vorithas/b/385822059 , and go to 2:40:00 in (two hours, forty minutes - I know, I really need to edit the video), you can see the design at work. My problem is, the probes launch just fine, they are controllable, but if I fly too far away from them with the plane, they vanish and it's like they were destroyed. Any way to fix this? Or is it just out of the realm of the game's engine right now?

Also - I would just like it to be known, that a dark side landing is hard for your first Mun landing. Would not recommend it if you've got the option to correct your orbit before descent. Tensest 15 minutes of my life. "Oh wait, where's the ground? Do I let it keep falling, or start slowing down!?"

again, mp or no?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

There will never be KSP multiplayer, devs said so, not possible with the current game design.

ugh. no fun.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Well, KSP's a space simulator - things move at real-life speeds in it. Were it MP, someone who wanted to fly to Jool then they'd either have to wait several months for it to move into position, or everybody else would have to leave their missions alone for several in-game months while time was accelerated for the Jool mission.

I also chose the dark side for my first landing (and by 'chose' I mean spun uncontrollably towards with no inkling of what I was doing).

I luckily had both types of spotlights on the bottom on my craft which really helped proceedings, but yeah, I wouldn't do that again.

Also, 15 minutes?! Mine took about a minute and I still only had half an egg-cup-full of fuel by the time I landed!

If you're new to KSP, you really can't do any better than Scott Manley's tutorial videos. Even if you only watch the first one you'll learn stuff (especially about your launch to orbit flight plan) that'll make everything so much easier as you progress. Chances are, a good proportion of that fuel's going on an inefficient flight plan - so not only will you arrive at the Mun with much more than an egg-cup of fuel, you'll probably be able to get back on a lot less than you'd think.
    Last edited by Capt. Eduardo del Mango; 06-04-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunistHamster View Post
    There will never be KSP multiplayer, devs said so, not possible with the current game design.
    That's really too bad. It seems like the perfect game for a SimCity style asynchronous multiplayer (albeit without always on online). Kerbal Space Race instead of Kerbal Space Program, as it were.