Topia Online - sandbox MMO with scripting, permadeath and more (and a Kickstarter)

I'm not personally involved in this, but I think it might push the right buttons for a few people here:

From the KS pitch:

Topia Online is a completely player-run MMORPG sandbox. Our mission is to give players a wealth of tools to build the game world. (...) From the beginning, we knew that we wanted to create an online game where you could truly 'do anything'. In order to accomplish that, we are building a powerful set of tools that the players themselves can use to expand the game world and it's features.

Here's a quick overview of the Unique Selling Points:

• Scripting and Customisation - NPCs, spells, special items and more are controlled by player-written Javascript. Use scripts from the in-game library, or write and publish your own and publish it for others to use. Players will have access to the same tools used by the developers.
    • No NPCs - "Each creature in the game is 'owned and operated' by a player. There are no 'NPCs', except the ones that players create and program themself." Shopkeepers, guards, crafters and much more besides will all be created using the above scripting.
    • Monster Play - As well as human characters, all monsters will be controlled by players. Join packs with your fellow creatures, or strike out as a lone terror. From humble slimes to deadly archdemons, there's plenty of choice.
    • Permadeath Ė Once your character dies, theyíre not coming back.
    • Personal Worlds Ė Donít like the rules of the game? Tweak the scripts and create your own personal world. Other players will be able to connect as soon as itís set up.

Hope thatís piqued some of your interest; it certainly got my attention.

Homepage
    Kickstarter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Javascript. Yuck!

Activated Node
    I wanted to make a thread about this too! It sounds really awesome!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    This sounds like it will be a massive clusterfuck and griefer's paradise and I can't wait to get in on it when it comes out in three years' time.

Permadeath and everything is controlled by other players? Sounds like a recipe for fun, no, not fun, what's that thing that isn't fun?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    This sounds like it will be a massive clusterfuck and griefer's paradise and I can't wait to get in on it when it comes out in three years' time.
    1. It's not coming out in three years. It's coming out in, like, three months.
    2. It's more difficult to grief than it sounds. It takes more time to get the skills necessary than it is worth to break into a person's house, considering that you'll probably die.
    3. People with the right skills can track down criminals and get paid for doing so.
    4. People on their home turf have a defensive advantage, not to mention all the traps they may have placed, or all the hirelings they may have hired to defend their home.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Javascript. Yuck!
    I'm not sure what the problem is. The game runs very smoothly, especially on chrome.
    Last edited by aattss; 13-12-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I like your optimism.