Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Frozen Synapse: Dark Elimination event

Would anyone be interested in a Dark Elimination tournament or league when Inverselaw's tournament is over?

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Why wait? Make it symmetrical, and possible choose interesting maps, instead of random ones, and Im in. Best of three with all matches played at the same time, on three different maps?

Network Hub
    A League would seem like a good idea, something a bit different to run alongside Inverslaws Cup.

Heh, you could even have a league with all matches being simultaneous. Any way you do it I'll probably be in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    I'm in.

(God damn 10 character minimum, "I'm in" is a perfectly acceptable message!)

I'm in as well.
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

I would probably join in depending on the date ^^

Sign me up as interested.

Please don't go too overboard with number of simultaneous matches. What with this, bloodbowl league, Solium Infernum and my wife WoW addiction I need some free time to go to work and stuff!

Would also like the possibility of different match types. Happy for it to be elimination for a while, but do find the other types interesting too. So would be nice if they crept in further down the line somewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Well in. I'd much prefer a symmetrical d.elim for a tournament myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I prefer random and a best of three or five, but I'm in for a Dark Elimination league.

As long as I have more time than a week. :)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Might be cool to set up a league similar to the Blood Bowl Divisions of Death idea; have x number of divisions with x numbers of people and a season lasts so long. With being able to play simultaneous games a season could even be 2 weeks or so, although I don't think a LOT of simultaneous games is a good idea.

I would also be in favour of just Dark Extermination, but I don't mind so much.

I'll play. As long as it's dark I'll give anything a try.

Excellent, sounds as though we should have enough people to form the first division of a league. I think that if we can hammer out the details this week we can start next week with whoever's signed up by the weekend.

Here are some initial thoughts/questions for discussion this week, all comments welcome (I don't pretend to be an expert):

1) Game mode / map type
    I suggest Dark Extermination, random maps, symmetrical. Non-random maps might get a bit boring (and more time-consuming to administer), and asymmetrical gives the challenger a lot of temptation to re-roll.

2) Format
    League, one division (unless we get a lot of sign-ups in the next few days, in which case two divisions with randomly-assigned placement). I suggest one game per pairing for the first season, so that we can be finished quickly, and then we can consider best of three and any other changes for season two. I'd like to avoid a protracted first season with summer holidays on the horizon.

3) Simultaneous / sequential matches
    I'm a torn on this one. On one hand I don't want people to be overwhelmed by having lots of matches in one go, but on the other any timing restrictions would be pretty arbitrary. On balance I think I'm inclined to set an overall limit (two weeks?) and have people play their matches at any time within that window, but would appreciate any other opinions.

4) Scoring
    3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. "Goal difference" (units killed vs. units lost) tallied and used as a tie-breaker in the final standings.

5) Forfeiture
    I suppose it's a default win for the opponent. Don't much like that but I can't think of anything fairer.

6) Challenges
    I don't think it makes any difference using symmetric maps, so shall we say "lower rank challenges higher"? Obviously ranks will be assigned randomly for the first season.

7) Promotion / relegation
    I don't expect it will be relevant for season one, but if we end up with more than one division I assume we'll use some kind of FA-type system. I don't think we need to decide on the details now.

Please feel free to weigh in (or not, if you're happy to just play anything) on these and any topics I've forgotten to consider.

Network Hub
    That all seems reasonable to me. As long as we don't have large divisions (say 6-8 people per div) I don't think the simultaneous games would get out of hand. I suppose challenging doesn't matter as long as we're doing symmetric maps right enough, although it does mean some people will be making quite a lot of challenges ;)

Obscure Node
    I'm in as well.

What do you all think about two weeks? Too long/short/about right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'm still interested, but would like to hear general opinion about timeframe before comitting. I find the "10 days +/- 2" for Bloodbowl per match suiting perfect.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    I'm still interested, but would like to hear general opinion about timeframe before comitting. I find the "10 days +/- 2" for Bloodbowl per match suiting perfect.
    Can you expand on this a bit? My initial proposal is that we set a time window (e.g. two weeks) in which all matches will be played. I don't think that's very onerous if we have reasonably small leagues but it's obviously up for discussion.

One benefit of having a relatively short window, aside from the avoidance of having it dragging on for ages and people losing interest, is that we can have a quick turnaround of seasons. If someone's going to be on holiday for a couple of weeks it doesn't matter, they can just join in the next season. We could perhaps even have a "holiday mode" where standings are maintained (to some extent) when someone skips a season or two, though at this point I have no idea how that would work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think all matches simultaneous, leave a good period of time for them sounds like the best solution.
    I'd like to take part as well, naturally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    I'd strongly recommend sequential matches, with a spreadsheet (or whatever) that very very clearly shows who is supposed to be playing who. Otherwise things will start of with a huge burst of enthusiasm but then people will get confused and lose interest, and if you're lucky half the matches will actually end up getting played.