Hybrid View

Calling all Canadian Computer Builders!

I'm moving to Windsor, Ontario in the next few weeks and I was looking into getting my old rig shipped over from the UK and it looks like it'll cost me around £500. For that money I could just buy a new rig. My problem is that I'm finding it difficult to shop around being so close to the US border (and Detroit).
    I've found the great Canadian site of NCIX.com whose prices seem reasonable, but is there a similar US one that will deliver over the bridge? I could even try and get it delivered though work at the University. I can only bring a certaina mount with me, but is it worth me taking the processor and the RAM with me anyway? The i7 is one of the very first ones to come out so it quite slow compared to many of the new i5s.

My current build I suppose is a bit odd:
    · ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2.
    · Intel Core i7 920, 2.67 GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 core, 8 logical.
    · 6.00 GB RAM.
    · Water cooled (Pointless, not going to bother with new build).
    · 4 random hard drives, all with 232 GB. I'll get an SSD when I can.
    · Motherboard I can't remember I'll update if I find out. I'll definitely replace it.
    · PSU I'll have to buy a new one anyway.
    · Case I really, really need a new one. This one has holes all over it and things bolted to it.

So what's a guy to do? I want a computer with equal or more power (I can't play PS2 at all and I was ArmA 3 to be glorious). My budget is roughly $1000 CAD, but if it is cheaper to buy is USD then that makes more sense. Any advice from the guys west of the pond?

It's been a while since I've shopped around for PCs, but in the past the standard recommendations around these parts were:

newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca. Tiger Direct also have retail stores, though looking at the list the closest one to Windsor would be London Ontario, and that's a bit too far to drive just to pick up computer parts. Newegg is just the Canadian arm of newegg.com, and they have good prices and service. Either are good places to shop, compare prices between them and NCIX and see what works.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Network Hub
    Me and three of my friends used Newegg.ca to build our computers, was pretty happy with the results and promptness. My only complaint is that they use purolator as basic shipping which means that if you arent there to receive the package you have to go pick it up at their office in the middle of nowhere, Id much rather they use post canada which maintains offices all over the place.

Anyway the almost 3 year old comp that I built runs pretty much everything on high (only tried PS2 on medium so far though).

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
    Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
    CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
    SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
    Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

As is it will break your budget but I'm confident that after three years a sub 1k comp can be built with the same power.

Purolator Help

Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    Me and three of my friends used Newegg.ca to build our computers, was pretty happy with the results and promptness. My only complaint is that they use purolator as basic shipping which means that if you arent there to receive the package you have to go pick it up at their office in the middle of nowhere, Id much rather they use post canada which maintains offices all over the place.

Anyway the almost 3 year old comp that I built runs pretty much everything on high (only tried PS2 on medium so far though).

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
    Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
    CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
    SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
    Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

As is it will break your budget but I'm confident that after three years a sub 1k comp can be built with the same power.
    Hello Inverselaw,

I apologize for any inconvenience that may have ensued.

Please note, for future shipments, that you can request a second attempt of delivery or to have your shipment redirected to the nearest retail center.

If you have any questions or would like to have more information on our service, please contact us at customer.care@purolator.com

Thank you,

Catherine Côté
    Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
    Purolator Inc.www.Purolator.com
    E-mail / Courriel: customer.care@purolator.com
    Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp

What just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    What just happened.
    Customer service, I think. I'm not surprised it's mysterious to you, since you appear to be British.

Should have heeded the warning about Purolator. I got an email at 11:20 pm last night saying it had been shipped and to wait 2-3 days for delivery.

It came at 10:40 today whilst I was at work. Their depot is 2 hours 40 minute walk according to Google.

Thanks Purolator.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    PurolatorHelp in 3.. 2.. 1..