Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar

RPS Blood Bowl Awards - Winter 2012 - Nominations

Alrighty, let's get some nominations in. With a view to start a full spectrum of awards next year, we can still have a look back and pick some of the best bits of 2012!

So how will this work?

Below are the categories for consideration. There are a few less categories than discussed in the other thread, but that is simply because we are trying this out for the first time. Once I've received a fair number of entries (say at least 2-3) for each, we'll have a round of voting. The voting will be a hidden ballot (probably using Google Docs) and the winners will be announced in the new year.

Rules for Nomination:
    • Coaches nominated must be RPS forum members.
    • Teams and players nominated must belong to an RPS coach.
    • Matches nominated must involve at least one RPS coach.
    • If you would rather nominate privately, send me a PM. Nominations will be presented as anonymous unless otherwise suggested in this thread.
    • You can nominate for each category as many times as you like.
    • You do not have to nominate something for every category.
    • You cannot nominate yourself, unless otherwise noted.

Here are the categories for this year's awards...

PART A:
    ---

Most Feared Team
    Whether they're violent or just too damn good at what they do, which RPS side do you dread facing most? You don't have to have actually faced someone to be eligible to nominate them. The fear is enough!
    Nominations:
    - 3 Feet High and Rising -
    - Dead Can-Can -
    - Dwarven Giants -
    - Elf Harm -
    - Gears of Mork -
    - Pink Patisserie Panthers -
    - Sunny Day Snotling Creche -

Most Feared Player
    That is the in-game player, not the coach. As above, you can nominate a player whether or not you've personally had to deal with them on the pitch.
    Nominations:
    - Billy Big Balls (The Vivisectionists) - Rat-Ogre -
    - Break Tackle, Claw, Guard, Juggernaut, Pro -
    - (sadly no longer with us) -
    - Cibennefindal Nhamirellyn (Elf Harm) - Pro Elf Catcher -
    - Block, +2 MA, +1 ST, +1 AG -
    - Einstine (Da Smarterest Team) - Ogre -
    - Block, Break Tackle, Frenzy, Piling On -
    - General Zod (The 4 Colour Villains) - Human Blitzer -
    - Jump Up, Mighty Blow, Tackle, +2 ST -
    - Jam Master Jay (3 Feet High and Rising) - High Elf Catcher -
    - Block, Dodge, Guard, Pass Block, Nerves of Steel -
    - The BFG (Dwarven Giants) -Dwarf Runner -
    - Block, Dodge, +1 ST, +2 AG -

Most Feared Coach
    Which forumite gives you the willies?
    Nominations:
    - ChainsawHands -
    - Corkir -
    - Indefatigible Snoozer -
    - Jolima -

---

The above categories are now open for voting here!

The following categories will be open for votes soon:

PART B:
    ---

Play of the Year
    The award for the best (or luckiest) feat on the pitch. Nominations in this category require the game in question is uploaded to BBManager (or be a FUMBBL match).
    In this category you may nominate your own play.

Match of the Year
    Which match was truly spectaular? Was it because f the high scores, the run of luck, the incredible nuffling or the appalling violence? As above, nominations in this category require the game in question is uploaded to BBManager (or be a FUMBBL match), and you may nominate your own match too.

---

PART C:
    ---

Wizard of the Year
    Coaches nominated for this award should have displayed the smartest tactical skills this year.

Cheerleader of the Year
    The award for the funniest, most entertaining coach on our forum this year.

MVP of the Year
    The award for the coach who showed great sportsmanship, a positive/amusingly cynical attitude, got involved in discussions and generally went beyond the level of simple participation in the game itself.

---

Nominations are closed, thank you!

EDIT: Nominations closed, voting started.
    Last edited by Screwie; 29-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I request that the words "positive attitude" be removed from "MVP of the Year" as it further reduces my already small chances of winning.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd like to nominate Elf Harm for Most Feared Team.

I think Corkir has to be a nominee for the Most Feared Player. She's won the divisions and is leading the Open.

I'd like to nominate Jiiim for the MVP of the year, for organising the advent calendar.

@Weasel, would you prefer it if the criteria read "positive/amusingly cynical attitude"?

@Everblue, Corkir's a coach, not a player, but thank you for the nominations and getting the ball rolling :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Yes indeed I would :)
    I'll take another look at my old foes this week, and see if I can identify the player or players I've hated the most. Laneford's ag5 catch pass block one comes to mind: the bugger picked off my 2-3, make-it-look-like-it-was-at-least-close touchdown, allowing Laneford to score a final time for a humiliating 1-4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh bugger. Now I'm embarrassed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    I nominate Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim for cheerleader of the year, for the match reports and advent calendar. I demand that, should he win, he absolutely not post a picture of himself dressed as a cheerleader.

And groovychainsaw for MVP, because of the DoD.

My cheerleader vote goes to Weasel. As a great cynic myself his cynicism and verbal jousting while corralling the RPS flock into their divisional pens amuses me no end.

I'll have to do a spot of research for feared teams/players as I can't remember too well some of my open opponents but certainly on the DoD side of things Snoozers team scares the bejesus out of me which is lucky as I've had to face him in consecutive seasons!

For MVP of the year I think Cyber deserves a nomination. Playing multiple teams in the Open to help keep the competition running smoothly (and I believe the DoD too?), always willing to be part of a debate and taking his goblin beatings like a man.

Play of the year: I was spectacularly pleased by my second equalising touchdown against Zoraster so I'll go for that. I think this is going to be a horrible category to moderate though, you could go for Match of the year instead?

Because I'd go for the 5-2 beasting Chainsawhands' elves handed my Magnates, starting their rapid downward spiral to retirement.

Most Feared Team: Drawlien's 'zons in the Open, the Patisserie Panthers. I was absolutely destroyed 3-0 the first time I played them, spent the rest of the year scheming, planning and plotting, buying mighty blow and tackle and cackling madly, and just scraped a 2-2 draw. They're absolute fucks.

Most Feared Player: Fuckin' Billy Big Balls

Wizard of the year: Jolima. He's really really good, I swear he could win the divisions with a halfling team if he put his mind to it. Zoraster is a close runner-up purely because I don't have to play him as often. As is mrpier.

Cheerleader of the Year: Heliocentric. I love his devotion to fouls.

MVP: Weasel, he puts in a fuckload of work into making things work, though cyber and groovy and everblue are close seconds.
    Last edited by Jiiiiim; 13-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I think we should include a most feared coach category.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Most feared team: Chainsawhand's pro elves. SO. Many. Stat-ups.

Likewise, most feared player is that MA9, Str4, Ag5 monster proelf. Just, how do you stop a player like that from scoring?

Most feared wizard(?), I'd second Jolima. Every time I thought I'd beat his Vampires, they showed me up again. I don't think I've ever beaten him?

Cheerleader of the year, Jiiiim, for his endlessly fun match reports, threads and MSPaint skills.

MVP: President weasel, for being a great help this year in the DoD for me, helping pick things up when I've found my time at the PC to be diminished.

Guys i love this idea! Ill have a think and put my nominations in! Does it need to be someone who is currently in the league? Ive been around for a while now and ive played some great games with coaches who sadly are no longer playing :(
    Where you can find some of my mischief: http://karandraz.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For wizard of the year, the two coaches who stick in my mind are Janek and Corkir.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    Likewise, most feared player is that MA9, Str4, Ag5 monster proelf. Just, how do you stop a player like that from scoring?
    If you mean mine, he's MA10... (And probably by fouling him to death.)

Re: "Most Feared Coach" - no problems adding this if people want it. "Wizard of the Year" is different enough in scope, I think. There won't be a huge amount of disruption to the nominations already put forward if we make this change early, either. So I'll add a Most Feared Coach category tonight, unless there are any stern objections to it.

Re: "Play of the Year" vs "Match of the Year" - I am certainly open to this idea. I see pros for both...

Plays pros:
    - They're shorter - easier to rip from a replay for a video
    - You can contextualise their importance in a match
    - You can calculate the odds of success
    - Basically, there's more you can say about them in a shorter time

Matches pros:
    - Matches tend to be more memorable
    - They paint a fuller picture
    - It feels natural to celebrate the best matches

Probably other factors too that I'm forgetting...

I'm asking for opinions on this - should we have both categories, or flat-out replace PotY with MotY?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by karandraz View Post
    Guys i love this idea! Ill have a think and put my nominations in! Does it need to be someone who is currently in the league? Ive been around for a while now and ive played some great games with coaches who sadly are no longer playing :(
    You can nominate people who have retired/taken time off from the leagues, so long as they were active in 2012.
    Last edited by Screwie; 13-12-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Both categories sound good to me.

I'd prefer play to match, mainly because lunatic plays are always fun, but both would work for me too.

Play of the year: I'd nominate the freakish touchdown Read in Tooth and Claw scored on turn 8 against the 4 Colour Villains in the Divs (29/8/2012). According to samba it had a 7% chance of working even with a team re-roll - a zombie pick-up in tackle zone/dodge/short pass, caught by a wolf in a tackle zone who then escaped his Tackle marker. Beautiful. Doubly fun as I'd been failing to pick up the ball for pretty much the entire half prior to that, should've just used zombies all along.

Feared Team: Groovy's Ogres in the Gauntlin Goblet. They're utterly, utterly terrifying. Grinn's Orcs in the Divs come second, they knocked the stuffing out of me a couple of times.

Feared Player: that freakish Dorf runner Snoozer has. It's elfier than an elf, and that's just wrong.

Wizard: Corkir winning so much so quickly has been hugely impressive, with Jiiiiim's prolonged stay at the top of the Divs a close second.

Cheerleader: Jiiiiim, for the endlessly enjoyable match reports.

MVP: Groovy, for keeping things ticking over in the divs so well for so long.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Wow, thanks for the nominations, I wasn't expecting that. To be fair, I did whinge at Drawlien a bit after my last goblin loss ;).

My nominations:

Play
    My goblin long bomb, successfully enabling a score as part of my 3-0 victory vs the Red Hot Pokers in the DoD: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...572#post202572

Feared team
    Grinn's orcs in the Open. I spent my match against them just staying out of the way. Ironically, Grinn spent so much time delaying his winning TD that I almost equalised, only to be stopped by a goblin interception.

Wizard
    Can only be Corkir, for showing us mere manlings what it's all about.

Cheerleader and MVP
    Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim, Groovy, Pres and 'Hands all seem to be everywhere all the time.

Okay new categories have been added. I agree that we might as well have both Match and Play awards on offer, if one doesn't get enough attention it simply won't make it to the voting round.

Not having BB Manager or a very good memory, I won't be nominating in every catagory, but here's mine:

Most Feared Team - Elf Harm. I generally struggle with elf types, and all the stat ups they had made things even harder. I think the two games I had against them cumulatively were a 7-2 loss with at least one my goals a big fluke.

Most Feared Player - General Zod (Groovy's freak st5 blitzer). Capable of 2d-ing Sauruses and 3d-ing skinks all by himself just messes with my plans. Even trying to kill him doesn't really succeed as with Jump-Up he can return the attention with interest.

Cheerleader/MVP of the Year - It's the community that makes the RPS DoD special so well done everyone and nominating one person is tricky, but big shout outs to Pres Weasel, Screwie, Jiiim, Cyber, Helio and Chainsaws (both the Groovy variety and the Hands variety).
    Last edited by boots468; 16-12-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell proper...