Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Knew I was missing that. I thought there was one on PC where all the fighters are girls, but I can't remember its name.
    Skullgirls? There's also been some Guilty Gear for the PC, Melty Blood and probably five billion other doujin fighters normal people never even heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Fighting games are 99% muscle memory, so the controller you start with is the controller you keep. Arcade gamers are arcade gamers through and through, and as fighting games are the domain of consoles when they're not in arcades, they're designed with that layout in mind.
    I'm fairly sure they're designed with arcade layout in mind, and when they come to consoles... well then they get played with a pad because it's not like you've got a choice.

I know one thing - if you have four directional buttons then you're much better off with having three fingers on four of them at any given time(keyboard's directional keys approach) rather than trying to operate all four with just one finger(dpad). Especially when that one fingers is your thumb.
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 12-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.

I preferred metroid far more than castlevania too, but the term is useful because people understand what it means.
    I'm not arguing against your use of the term, just the term itself. But, it is what it is so it's the right term to use, I guess. I'm just sour because Castlevania got billing rights simply for releasing a game in that style. Imagine if instead of the term FPS, we used Wolfenukems because hey, Duke Nukem was one of those.

Actually, now that I think about it, I vote for Wolfenukems. It's fun to say.

Banned
    Well, we used to say "doom clones"...

Problem is, what do you call metroidvania if you don't call it metroidvania?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Skullgirls? There's also been some Guilty Gear for the PC, Melty Blood and probably five billion other doujin fighters normal people never even heard of.
    Thanks. Since Guilty Gear and Melty Blood aren't easily purchased (I could be wrong here) I won't put it up just yet.

2d exploration and equipment based platformers.
    Last edited by Internet; 12-12-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Metroidian.

Thanks. Since Guilty Gear and Melty Blood aren't easily purchased (I could be wrong here) I won't put it up just yet.
    Don't know about the original, but there are a couple of them you can buy on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/guilty_gear_x2_reload
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/guilty_gear_isuka

Banned
    2d exploration and equipment based platformers.
    That's kind of long. And what if they're 3D?

Another genre definition argument?
    We're becoming a parody of ourselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's kind of long. And what if they're 3D?
    3D exploration and equipment based platformers. I prefer metroidvania.

3rd person whatchamingos:
    - Devil May Cry 3 god dammit
    - Devil May Cry 4 but who cares
    Completely went past me that DMC4 is on PC, thought it's consoleboxes only.

Prototype, meh...
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Would love to some real fighting games on pc,something like Fight Night or UFC.

I say consoles are under represented when it comes to realistic racing games.

- Live for Speed
    - netKar Pro
    - Richard Burns Rally
    - Offroad Drive
    - GTR
    - Rfactor

[Dirt, Grid, Project Cars, F1 don't belong here]

I just bought MX Simulator last week. Somehow never discovered it before. Yes the price is high.
    Last edited by bad guy; 12-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.

arn't the NFS: Shift games reasonably good racing sims? The default is to have most of the driving assists on, but you can turn them off through in-game options. I could be wrong, but I think the developers of Shift/Shift 2 are also the guys that are now making project cars.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Dark/Demon's Souls are the best representation of the Metroidvania formula since its inception in 1994.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Not sure what the list is in the OP: most of the games listed already exist on PC.
    In any case, there is Dead or Alive Online courtesy of a group of intrepid Russian gamers/server admins:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuX6f0tapqs

a bunch of PC games from underrepresented genres:
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    Rocket Knight
    Outrun 2006
    Dead or Alive Online
    Rare, but worth it: The German version of King Kong: The Game or King Kong: Gamer's Edition as it was known. Us PC gamers got shafted by Ubisoft when this game was launched: XBox360 got the next-gen port, we got the PS2 port!! For some obscure reason, only Germany later got a revised version which was basically a port of the xbox 360 version. It's called King Kong Gamer Edition I think. I managed to download it while it was still available. It's quite linear and heavily scripted, but the A.I can be surprising and there were some great gameplay innovations that went a long way in adding immersion to single player gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CNkdPhOTM

As long as you buy the PS3 or Xbox360 ports, I guess it's fine to use the Taito X2 arcade apps? (no emulation here, these are windows programs)
    Recent Taito X2 games
    KoF XII
    KoF XIII
    Samurai Showdown Edge of Destiny
    BlazBlue Continuum Shift
    Power Instinct 5

Emulation wise: the Wii, PS2, gamecube and Dreamcast are pretty much mature now. Everything before obviously has much better support with the exception of obscure consoles like the 3DO or FM Towns.
    Here's a video of me trying out games randomly from my library for 30 minutes to give you an idea of how well things run:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfuGoKqVN4

BONUS:

Check out this hilarious video where a guy is showing off his new Taito X2 Arcade system... booting into Windows XP (probably Windows CE) and running an arcade game by browsing to the game's folder in Windows Explorer!!!
    We have come full circle friends :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keT3kfRqwtU
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Rare, but worth it: The German version of King Kong: The Game or King Kong: Gamer's Edition as it was known. Us PC gamers got shafted by Ubisoft when this game was launched: XBox360 got the next-gen port, we got the PS2 port!! For some obscure reason, only Germany later got a revised version which was basically a port of the xbox 360 version. It's called King Kong Gamer Edition I think. I managed to download it while it was still available. It's quite linear and heavily scripted, but the A.I can be surprising and there were some great gameplay innovations that went a long way in adding immersion to single player gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CNkdPhOTM
    King Kong is indeed amazing, but it was made by Michel "Rayman/BGE" Ancel, that was to be expected. It's really immersive, it has barely no UI, perhaps some bits of text sometimes. It has the film's voice actors (Jack Black, Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody) and it's really standalone, it's not just the film's scenes recreated. You play as Jack and as Kong, and has so many little touches that is just incredible. Here is another video that shows it better. You can impale some big dragonflies and use them as bait.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KK/pete...e-of-the-movie
    It's actually on GamersGate, and it's DRM Free, just make sure to backup the installation files. It's totally worth it and it runs well on Win7. The only problem is that is doesn't support widescreen at all, it stretches the picture.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KK/pete...e-of-the-movie
    It's actually on GamersGate, and it's DRM Free, just make sure to backup the installation files. It's totally worth it and it runs well on Win7. The only problem is that is doesn't support widescreen at all, it stretches the picture.
    That's the crappy PS2 port. Th Gamers Edition has full widescreen support and actually much better graphics (to the point that some levels are different from the PS2 port)
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Not sure what the list is in the OP: most of the games listed already exist on PC.

a bunch of PC games from underrepresented genres:
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    Rocket Knight
    Outrun 2006
    Dead or Alive Online
    The taito games look neat, but I couldn't see anywhere to buy them.
    The king kong game does look cool.

The taito games look neat, but I couldn't see anywhere to buy them.
    The king kong game does look cool.
    *cough* you have to 'acquire' them *cough*

I've 'acquired' KoF XIII for my PC, but purchased the PS3 port in order to assuage my guilt towards the devs - SNK Playmore.
    Steam profile

3D platformers are by far what we have the least of on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Metroidian.

Don't know about the original, but there are a couple of them you can buy on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/guilty_gear_isuka
    This game sucks ballz.
    Steam profile