Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Pacific Rim

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,181

    Pacific Rim



    You monster...


    Ok, yes, I just posted it so I could make that comment.

  2. #2
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    181
    Go Ellen!

    Hope the film has more going for it. Not holding my breath. I love Pan's Labyrinth. Also, for the millionth time this...



    Can you say... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

  3. #3
    Network Hub Space Indaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toyohashi, Aichi, Japan
    Posts
    200
    I literally don't know where to point all the jizz.

  4. #4
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    I literally don't know where to point all the jizz.
    You got a thing for little kids or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I dig ones with neat concept,the ones from trailer couldn't be more generic.
    That's because you don't know what the movie is about. You are comparing it to shit like Battleship and Michael Bay's robot wrestling. This movie is Del Toro's love letter to mech culture, the robots are meant to be generic, in a way. These designs are inspired from popular mech anime, it's the same with the plot. If you go in the theater expecting a deep plot full of symbolism of course you're going to be disappointed.
    Last edited by Shane; 17-12-2012 at 04:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Network Hub Space Indaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toyohashi, Aichi, Japan
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    You got a thing for little kids or something?
    A) I didn't even notice little kids in the trailer

    B) I don't know you, so I think "LOL you're a paedophile" jokes might be crossing a line

    C) It wasn't even funny

    And as far storyline and shit: it's giant robots fighting monsters. I'd prefer if the people didn't even talk.

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    A) I didn't even notice little kids in the trailer
    Well you made that comment right after someone posted the Dora the Explorer video.

    B) I don't know you, so I think "LOL you're a paedophile" jokes might be crossing a line

    C) It wasn't even funny
    I'm sorry about that, I do feel I crossed the line there.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,330
    On the one hand, Pan's Labyrinth, Idris Elba without a fakey American accent and kaiju.

    On the other hand, Hellboy 2, Hellboy 2 and Hellboy 2.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,516
    On the one hand, I won't be able to not think of GlaDOS.

    On the other hand, it looks so ridiculous, so stupid and so pointless that I can't help but think "...man, I'm going to see the crap out of this!"
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    I need this.

    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    This movie is gonna be stupid crap, but people will love it anyway.
    Why does people insist on acting like stupid mindless fun is bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    On the other hand, it looks so ridiculous, so stupid and so pointless that I can't help but think "...man, I'm going to see the crap out of this!"
    See? JG's got the right idea.

  10. #10
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Why does people insist on acting like stupid mindless fun is bad?
    Why do people insist on acting like stupid mindless fun can only equate to uninspiring, unoriginal, cliched, macho crap?

    Not that this means that Pacific Rim will be any of those, but you can forgive a few of us for having that impression after all the orange and teal action films of late. I think the trailer alludes to the film having some vague social critique. All I know is, elbow rockets. Fucking. Elbow. Rockets.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    I need this.


    Why does people insist on acting like stupid mindless fun is bad?


    See? JG's got the right idea.

    Indeed, the perfect movie for a movie night with a bunch of buddies.( at home, not at the cinema.)

    It also looks like a sly way to present the concept of Power Rangers in year 2013. ;p
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  12. #12
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Indeed, the perfect movie for a movie night with a bunch of buddies.( at home, not at the cinema.)
    Actually, I find this is the kind of movie I'd rather see at the cinema, the huge scale and great sound makes any action scene way more enjoyable.

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    559
    This movie is gonna be stupid crap, but people will love it anyway.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,260
    So basically this is "Neon Genesis Evangelion",american style :| Del Toro is highly overrated anyway,so i was not surprised by weak cgi,bad monster/robot design,bad acting etc.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    So basically this is "Neon Genesis Evangelion",american style :| Del Toro is highly overrated anyway,so i was not surprised by weak cgi,bad monster/robot design,bad acting etc.
    Get out! NOW!

    On a more serious note, sure it could be taken as a NGE american style, but why would that be a bad thing? It would remove all the stupid aspects like people becoming computers, clones and questionably ethical relationships but keep all the good things. Giant fighty robots.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Get out! NOW!

    On a more serious note, sure it could be taken as a NGE american style, but why would that be a bad thing? It would remove all the stupid aspects like people becoming computers, clones and questionably ethical relationships but keep all the good things. Giant fighty robots.

    Totally forgot he is behind Hellboy movies!!! I really liked them allot,,so there's hope for this movie :D

  17. #17
    Activated Node venn177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Get out! NOW!

    On a more serious note, sure it could be taken as a NGE american style, but why would that be a bad thing? It would remove all the stupid aspects like people becoming computers, clones and questionably ethical relationships but keep all the good things. Giant fighty robots.
    It kind of IS NGE. Originally Del Toro was going to make an NGE movie and when it fell through this came from it.

    Honestly, it looks like it's going to be an almost parody of monster movies. If anyone could pull this off with a triple A budget, it would have to be Del Toro.

  18. #18
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    88
    Only Americans can't really do giant fighty robots well. Well that and you pretty much Americanised it by removing the whole story, and thus leaving the only story possible being a terrible weak one; like most American action films.

    Anyway, I'll still watch as I like just not having to concentrate and watching explosions.
    Last edited by Tams80; 20-12-2012 at 11:53 PM.

  19. #19
    Network Hub Space Indaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toyohashi, Aichi, Japan
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Tams80 View Post
    Only Americans can't really do giant fighty robots well. Well that and you pretty much Americanised it by removing the whole story, and thus leaving the only story possible being a terrible weak one; like most American action films.

    Anyway, I'll still watch as I like just not having to concentrate and watching explosions.
    Yeah, those multi-million pound action films from the UK are usually really thoughtful.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    Yeah, those multi-million pound action films from the UK are usually really thoughtful.
    Indeed. British action movies = Jason Statham as Jason Statham in the Jason Statham movie Part 12.

    Also, Del Toro isn't american.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •