Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Indies Going Meta Endangered / Killed by Political Correctness Fascism

A game born out of a joke. The game growing as a serie of "magic" card inspired in Indie devs references, inside-jokes and popular people/events.

People searching for something to get offended find stuff to get offended. Game is closed, DNS's stops resolving the domain.

http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/24/indie-custom-cube/
    http://shigi.wordpress.com/2013/10/2...cube-comments/

There are 300 or something, and are awesome.

*uses elitist card*

Too bad you guys can't download it. *rubs his collection of 359 jpg files*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

:O

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Google translate isn't helping me - anyone?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    >Asian female makes a Magic TCG clone
    >instead of fantasy tropes the cards are indie devs and game culture things
    >fucktards cry racism, sexism blah-blah because the cards have qualifiers like "female", "black" etc
    >the game's domain is taken down
    >the game's creator makes a huge blog post explaining the mechanics and design process which lead to things like the Soulja Boy card being "unstable black", the depression feature, various jokes and other things interpreted as offensive

The conclusion:
    Please think before you make inflammatory comments and throw words like “racism” and “sexism” at people. Do your research first, open up a discussion, there are more mature ways to handle things than to create even MORE miscommunication by blindly throwing rocks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Link to the cards or report.

I'm sure they didn't mean any harm with this and it is kind of funny but did they really think they could put this out and no one on the internet would make a fuss about it? Some things should probably just remain in jokes between you and your friends.

Also, it's hard to take seriously a post that thinks that "Political Correctness Fascism" is actually a thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't see any evil corporate fascistic PC goings-on here - I see some people who did a thing, saw some complaints - decided to stop doing a thing.

Since it was their decision to do it and - apparently - their decision to stop doing it - the only possible problem is that in doing ANYTHING these days, you have to have the courage of your convictions and you have to be prepared to deal with people who think that SHOUTING PEOPLE DOWN will achieve anything!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This thread is not enough TIGsource-ist. So I am going to post a video about TIGsource in RPS.

I don't see any evil corporate fascistic PC goings-on here - I see some people who did a thing, saw some complaints - decided to stop doing a thing.

Since it was their decision to do it and - apparently - their decision to stop doing it - the only possible problem is that in doing ANYTHING these days, you have to have the courage of your convictions and you have to be prepared to deal with people who think that SHOUTING PEOPLE DOWN will achieve anything!?
    ^^^^^
    This.

I still haven't received a link to the cards. Can someone please?

Well, when something directly insults you I think it's kinda fucking OK to shout it down, y'know?

The cube cards, I'm both glad they got published and glad they got pulled. I'm glad they got published because they're an incredible insight into the minds of the people who made them and I'm glad they got pulled because they're shitty things that however unintentionally insult some of my friends and people I respect. And for bonus points show a side of indie development that really does come across as stuck in 2008. Being published 'in my name' as a part of the supposed indie scene this claims to represent makes everyone look like twats. I'll make myself look a twat if I need to, thanks.

A couple of people looked at it and went "ah fuck yeah" and pulled it. That's good. Someone else involved decided to defend it with "you just don't understand MTG" as if that somehow justifies being shitty to people. That wasn't good. And some people were upset because some other people decided to make some cards which bravely punched downwards and in punching downwards made their targets feel like shit when they have enough to deal with as it is.

And if you want to defend your right to have some shitty unfunny cards over the rights of people to not be upset then I don't know. That doesn't seem like a fair deal to me.

And people shouted because they were fucking upset. Maybe you should listen to why instead of telling people not to do that.

(edit: and it's not "Asian female makes mtg clone" (female, really?) - it's leading indie developers like Derek Yu, Team Meat, Andy Hull and Laura Shigihara)
    Last edited by RobF; 26-10-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

This is amazing. I think I've filled my Racist/Sexist Debating Fucktards Bingo Card in record time! "Oh, you've taken it out of context!", "if you think this is racist/sexist, then you're the racist/sexist!", "I'm a woman/minority, and I'm not offended so it isn't offensive", "the people complaining are white men, we can ignore them 'cos they must be trolls!". One of them (Laura Shigihara) even says "I can't be racist, I'm Asian!!" Brilliant. I'm almost convinced this is some kind of set up, performance art, or other stunt, and in a few days they'll turn round and say "Yes, we did this on purpose and everyone reacted as we predicted!", but this is all so perfect, I don't think anyone could have made it up.

I'm sure this is a perfect opportunity for discussion about Artist's intentions, the context involved, when is a "racism" actually a racism, and when is a "sexism" actually a sexism, how little being offended has to do with something actually being offensive, double standards, hypocrisy, how eager some people are to be offended, why something being bad doesn't make it wrong, etc etc. But I doubt any of that will happen.

In other news, The Stanley Parable did a Racism this week as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

So let's accept it is sexist/racist/classits/alloftheabove. Why does it have to be taken down?

Because not leaving something on the internet that upsets people for the sake of some schoolboy giggles for 3 or 4 people at conventions helps make the world a nicer place?

Although, y'know, no-one said "TAKE IT DOWN", they just said "fuck this noise, this is upsetting" and some folks who made it went "oh, that's not what we wanted" and took it down. Which is a slightly different scenario.

Network Hub
    Best I can find right now.

http://w01.freezepage.com/a/13827/96578KJVSOQVJRA/0

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Wonder if they will just make the kid white.........

"I received two separate complaints today from people who found that the images made them significantly uncomfortable," Wreden said in an email to Polygon, "and in one case made a teacher feel unable to share the game with her young students.
    2 complaints......
    Last edited by tradaa; 26-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.

And in quickly responding to those two complaint's he's got himself a game he can sell to more people because more people will be comfortable with it, some good publicity for responding fast to the complaints and a game that someone feels completely safe using it to teach other people about videogames and will no doubt do so for a number of years to come.

Seems like a pretty good result all round for "2 complaints..."

Network Hub
    I think we need to wait and see how it gets changed first

The future

It will be fun ;)

I hope ed never falls in to this shit because the day I can't get killed by a period shooting vagina will be a sad one (I wonder what would of happened if he made issac and his mum black....IT'S RACIST ERMAHGERD)
    Last edited by tradaa; 26-10-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Given the images used can be changed without hurting the joke in question, I don't think there's much to worry about there. Although you could remove the entire joke and the game wouldn't be any worse for it (I don't think it'd be better for it but still...)

I think it'll be OK, guy!

Network Hub
    For sure, is why it's going to be interesting to see how it gets changed. In all seriousness...... it will more than likely just get removed as changing the skin colour should blow up in his face.