Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Games to let me live out my Blade Runner fantasies

Can anyone recommend me games that are reminiscent of the Blade Runner film? Gritty, detective style, or just set in or around a dystopian scifi megacity. Steampunk cities would work too I guess, since they have that smoggy dystopian feel going on. Kind of a vague request but should turn up a slew of interesting games.

Dishonoured sounds like it might fit the bill very nicely and I've yet to play it.

Gemini Rue was brilliant and I loved that one.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey *kinda* fits the bill, albeit the scifi supercity you find yourself in is more utopian than anything. The game before it, The Longest Journey fit the bill nicely though.

Beneath a Steel Sky is another great game.

The Fallout and Bioshock games also appeal.

Anyone got any other recommendations?

Network Hub
    Fallout, Bioshock nor Dishonored will in any way fit the bill.

If you're willing to read, I'd recommend Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds. It's a sci-fi book but a lot of it reads like a noir detective novel.

Hard Reset. The gameplay isn't very Blade Runner-ish, but the setting certainly is.

Oh, and of course Deus Ex Human Revolution, both for the setting and the gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    In dreamfall you return to Venice and it is really shitty place. It was kinda sad.

on topic:
    Have you consider Anachronox
    we also have tex murphy games
    what about Deus Ex?
    Judge Dredd game on Gog: apparently fairly good
    what about Primordia It is more post apocalyptic tough
    Syndicate maybe>

just throwing names...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Fallout, Bioshock nor Dishonored will in any way fit the bill.

If you're willing to read, I'd recommend Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds. It's a sci-fi book but a lot of it reads like a noir detective novel.
    Because there's not a great deal of Blade Runner-esque games I'm having to resort to games with similar themes, so the dystopian scifi cities of Bioshock and Dishonoured sound like good stand-ins. Fallout is good as well since a lot of the settlements remind me of the market scene in Blade Runner, all dirty and human and rundown with futuristic offerings. Kind of vague but hey ho :( Ideally I'd want something similar to Gemini Rue.

That book does sound exactly to my tastes and I'll see if I can't find a copy of it online off Amazon or Ebay, so thank you for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    In dreamfall you return to Venice and it is really shitty place. It was kinda sad.

on topic:
    Have you consider Anachronox
    we also have tex murphy games
    what about Deus Ex?
    Judge Dredd game on Gog: apparently fairly good
    what about Primordia It is more post apocalyptic tough
    Syndicate maybe>

just throwing names...
    Aha, I love that Judge Dredd game. Dredd Vs Death? It's awesome, the setting is amazing. More Judge Dredd games would be brilliant because Megacity 1 is incredibly reminiscent of Blade Runner.
    Last edited by TheXand; 13-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Because there's not a great deal of Blade Runner-esque games I'm having to resort to games with similar themes, so the dystopian scifi cities of Bioshock and Dishonoured sound like good stand-ins. Fallout is good as well since a lot of the settlements remind me of the market scene in Blade Runner, all dirty and human and rundown with futuristic offerings. Kind of vague but hey ho :( Ideally I'd want something similar to Gemini Rue.
    Bioshock: You never really interact with characters, it's all about a rush through a linear environment - so I don't think it'll scratch your itch.
    Dishonored has a similar issue and Fallout 3 just 'feels' cartoony to me. New Vegas is probably more what you're looking for and if you're willing to go back, 1 and 2 definitely.

I don't want to sound stupid, but have you considered the Westwood Blade Runner game? It's rather good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I don't want to sound stupid, but have you considered the Westwood Blade Runner game? It's rather good.
    You know, I'd considered it and it looks brilliant but I heard it had problems running on modern systems, 64 bit systems especially. It's not on GOG or Steam either :'(

If prey 2 ever gets released, I think it would be exactly what you're after.

If it doesn't get released, then try youtube videos of the E3 demo + your imagination.

Edit: Video:

Last edited by Wheelz; 13-12-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: video

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    If prey 2 ever gets released, I think it would be exactly what you're after.

If it doesn't get released, then try youtube videos of the E3 demo + your imagination.
    Was just about to say the same thing. That chase scene is amazing. EDIT: ^^ That's not the video I was thinking off and also makes the game look pretty bland.
    Last edited by baby snot; 13-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Network Hub
    This won't be helpful at all, but what the hell. There were two adventure games of old, with an excellent atmosphere and quite a lot of freedom. The sequel is not as dark and Blade Runnerish, though.

B.A.T.
    B.A.T. II - Koshan Conspiracy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Deus Ex Human revolution I'd say fits the bill.

Syndicate (the FPS) certainly has that vibe as well, though it's all shooter.

I'd probably say keep an eye out for Watchdogs and Remember me in 2013 and of course CDProjekt are working on Cyberpunk 2077, though that's not due out until 2014/15. Although given Mike Pondsmith is heavily involved and given this is his shtick for Cyberpunk 2020 the P&P RPG: -

"For over two decades, the Megacorporations have ruled the world from their starscraper towers, enforcing that control with armies of cyborg assassins. While the boostergangs roamed a shattered urban wilderness, the endless party went on 24-7 in the hottest clubs, sleaziest bars and meanest streets this side of the Postholocaust.

"But that was before the Crash; before the dark days of 203X. Now the battlefield belongs to the new Lords of the Street: the DNA-shape shifting Reefers vs the full-body cyborgs of Corpore Metal, Desnai's robo-enhanced mechajocks against the monster makers of Riptide, the nano-boosted road warriors of Rolling State against the cybertech megaweapons of the urban Edgerunners."

"So get ready to hit Streets of the Dark Future, a world so dangerous, so dark, that only the toughest, smartest and most cybered-up will survive. But you can deal with it. Because you're ready. Because you're Cyberpunk."
    I wouldn't expect much in the way of plot beyond the juvenile 'The corporations are bad, because they're the corporations and you're going to bring them down...man' whilst some leather clad augmented sex vixen hands you a Katana and a disposable shotgun.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 13-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    This won't be helpful at all, but what the hell. There were two adventure games of old, with an excellent atmosphere and quite a lot of freedom. The sequel is not as dark and Blade Runnerish, though.

B.A.T.
    B.A.T. II - Koshan Conspiracy
    They're available but how would I even run these? Because B.A.T. sounds and looks brilliant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    They're available but how would I even run these? Because B.A.T. sounds and looks brilliant.
    pirate it from abandonware site and dosbox

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    'The corporations are bad, because they're the corporations and you're going to bring them down...man'
    Look, everyone knows all future corporations are run by Ronny Cox, so of course they're bad. Remember what he did to those poor fish?

Watch Ghost in the Shell SAC seasons 1 and 2 and then the movie "Solid State Society"....oh and play Deus Ex: HR. Syndicate fits too but the Bloom in-game might blind you. I advise wearing shades for that first.

The games I would have suggested are already in the list, but you should also make sure you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (the novel on which Blade Runner is based) and put http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/ on repeat.

Also, get a trench coat go drive some foggy downtown core at night with that music.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity_spoon View Post
    Watch Ghost in the Shell SAC seasons 1 and 2 and then the movie "Solid State Society"....oh and play Deus Ex: HR. Syndicate fits too but the Bloom in-game might blind you. I advise wearing shades for that first.
    Both theatrical movies, GitS and GitS Innocence, are more Noir than the TV series and the made-for-DVD movie.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Both theatrical movies, GitS and GitS Innocence, are more Noir than the TV series and the made-for-DVD movie.
    I personally like SSS more.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    They're also far better.

If you're willing to consider Bioshock you might also like System Shock 1 and 2. Both are great Cyberpunk games, though they're not set in an actual city. Plus, finding an affordable copy of them isn't the easiest thing to do these days. Mirror's Edge has some Cyberpunk elements as well, but is far more colourful than most examples of the genre. There's also Hard Reset, which I've never played but heard some good things about. And if you care more about the Noir aspects of Blade Runner rather than its dystopian future elements, you could give the excellent Grim Fandango a try.

In general, Cyberpunk seems to be a very under-used setting. And most games who actually use it are shooters which feature Cyberpunk scenery, but never really let you interact with it.