Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Indie adventure 2d game,kinda noir,help me out with name! I think it was very sci-fi and it reminded me of blade runner.

ps. Gemini something ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Gemini Rue, which is in the very first post.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    In general, Cyberpunk seems to be a very under-used setting. And most games who actually use it are shooters which feature Cyberpunk scenery, but never really let you interact with it.
    I think half the problem with it is that it's kind of slender as genre's go and it very quickly fell in on itself to the point of parody in terms of representation. When you're hawking the idea that people with Mohawks and leopard skin pants are somehow 'edgy' and too cool for school umpteen years after 'punk' was actually a thing it all comes across as a bit junior Disprin Vs Bath salts.

One of the more pertinent things about Neuromancer is really about people leveraging technological advances to make their own worlds. The Panther Moderns are the perfect example of this: -

http://www.american-buddha.com/panther.modern.htm

The problem is most people focus on Yonderboys Pink hair and think 'that's cyberpunk' versus the technology they deploy.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    They're also far better.
    The TV series has its moments, but indeed, nothing beats the haunting scenes (and soundtracks) of the theatrical movies.

To me what makes the genre so interesting is in reflecting on what kind of life/non-life you could expect to lead and how little control you have over it: A technocratic totalitarianism that looks superficially like the modern consumerist society we currently live in. One where there is no solution without chaos, which may or may not be better than the extremely limited prospects of the status quo.

To me, DXHR fails this three ways by being far too unsubtle in its approach for the scene, making the protagonist a superhero in everything but name, and providing way too many easy answers. Likewise Syndicate.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    To me what makes the genre so interesting is in reflecting on what kind of life/non-life you could expect to lead and how little control you have over it: A technocratic totalitarianism that looks superficially like the modern consumerist society we currently live in. One where there is no solution without chaos, which may or may not be better than the extremely limited prospects of the status quo.
    I definitely think there's potential there, it's just really a case that there needs to be the appropriate level of world building as well. I think there's a greater opportunity to do something like that through an open world game (which is what makes Watchdogs such an intriguing prospect) Vs a level based one.

To me, DXHR fails this three ways by being far too unsubtle in its approach for the scene, making the protagonist a superhero in everything but name, and providing way too many easy answers. Likewise Syndicate.
    I concur with the heavy handedness of both. I never got that far with Syndicate tbh (though I might follow it through at some point) however although I enjoyed DX:HR at the time the more I think about it the more weak it feels in terms of the setup and approach.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Since when Blade Runner (movie) is set in dystopian city? O_O
    Sure, it's dark and rainy place, but it seems it's like every big city in real world.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Sure, it's dark and rainy place, but it seems it's like every big city in real world.
    Blade Runner is set in Los Angeles. Not exactly a place renowned for bad weather most of the time Vs blazing sunshine.

Probable Replicant

Dunno if you're taking the piss or you really missed the point.

Cyberpunk is by nature dystopian; that's kinda why punk is right there in the name. If it wasn't making a pointed argument about class division, it'd just be futurist sci-fi.

In Blade Runner, we have off-world mining gulags, a sprawling black market dealing in synthetic life forms and organ farming, crowding that would make this Manhattanite feel cramped, and a clear class divide between an undercity gone to seed and the relatively glossy overcity of corporate magnates and their robot labor.

So either you're saying you missed all that, or you're saying modern cities are that bad now, which leads me to come to the conclusion that you only know modern cities from crime dramas.
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Every country and city have clear differences between people living in poor block district and these living in penthouses or villas. Check.
    Black market? Guns, drugs, rare animals (alive or their skin), ivory etc. Check.
    Huge crowd - most of China and Japan big cities are crowded. Check. Also notice that there are many asians on the street in Blade Runner.

Organ farming? That Chinesse guy killed by Roy Batty was MAKING organs, not cutting them from living person.
    Gulag like mines was for criminals and/or replicants. At least I remember it that way from MOVIE (not book).

It's not that different from present, except of poor weather conditions and probably greater pollution.

As for games - City of Lost Children (PSX), but it's just poor game adaptation of awesome movie with the same title.
    It looks like mix of Blade Runner and Bioshock (even one character wears diving suit similiar to Big Daddy's one) with some Dickensian (is it even a word?) plot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar

Hong Kong is on the way to becoming cyberpunk dystopian city

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Are those two real pics from Hong Kong ?

That's the Kowloon Walled City. It was demolished in 1994.

Every country and city have clear differences between people living in poor block district and these living in penthouses or villas. Check.
    Black market? Guns, drugs, rare animals (alive or their skin), ivory etc. Check.
    Huge crowd - most of China and Japan big cities are crowded. Check. Also notice that there are many asians on the street in Blade Runner.
    You haven't been in a city in a while, have you?

I say this as a guy who grew up in New York in the 80s and 90s.
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    That's the Kowloon Walled City. It was demolished in 1994.
    Pretty fascinating place tbh. 99% invisible did a podcast about it recently: -

http://soundcloud.com/roman-mars/99-...kowloon-walled

http://99percentinvisible.org/

Probable Replicant

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Im in the middle of second (or third) biggest city of Poland right now. I'm not saying that these big cities are bad.
    I'm just saying that black markets and many poor people living along with a few rich ones was not exclusively invented for dystopian cyberpunkish sci-fi future. They are just part of our world, even today.
    Just type "rare animal black market" in google. You've got plenty of articles about this.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yes, but as far as I know no current black market exists for synthetic humanoids with an inbuilt kill-switch.

Activated Node
    Like a few people before me in the thread, Prey 2 was looking to be the ultimate Blade Runner fantasy... I sure hope it gets released

Obscure Node
    Aside from The Longest Journey, Deus Ex Human Revolution and the Bladerunner adventure game there are none.

Bioshock has nothing to do with Bladerunner imo, neither does Fallout or Dishonored. Hard Reset is set in an empty world.

I have high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077 RPG which will be developed by CD Projekt (makers of The Witcher series) and Bladerunner will be a major source of inspiration for that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077
    Last edited by Wulfgar; 14-12-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Did anyone say
    E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy?

This game had a very cyberpunk/blade runner type feel for me. I rather enjoyed it despite it's quirks. It will likely go on sale for 75% off over the XMAS sale on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/

Also, try Neuromancer for C64 : http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1780
    I still play through this from time to time...great game. Make sure to get the C64 and not the MSDOS version. C64 is the superior version of the two.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    what about tex murphy games i suggested before? noir, cyberpunk, adventure.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgar View Post
    Hard Reset is set in an empty world.
    So is DX:HR *sniggers*