Hybrid View

Obscure Node

Underrail, an old school turn-based isometric RPG

Hello everyone,

My name is Dejan, aka Styg, and I'm the sole developer behind Underrail.

Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. It's inspired by western RPG classics such as Fallout, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights and System Shock 2.

The main features of the game are:

• Great character customization possibilities through stats, skills, feats, items and more that allows for many different play-styles
    • Tactical turn based combat that utilizes weapons, energy shields, grenades, psi abilities and more
    • Vast underground world to explore: city states, abandoned building complexes, natural caverns, secret areas and more
    • Elaborate item crafting system

The game is currently in alpha stage but can be purchased from Desura and GamersGate. By pre-purchasing the game you get the access to the latest stable alpha build and you will receive the final game when it's out.

A demo is also available.

Here is some footage from somewhat older alpha build:

If you like what you've seen so far, please take your time to vote for Underrail on Steam Greenlight.

Thank you for your support, and if any of you guys have some questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Cheers.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I put a little time into this last night and it's really fantastic. Builds a wonderfully bleak atmosphere and the music is amazing. I especially like the Temple of Elemental Evil-style combat visuals with the green-yellow-red graph and overlay. That's one of the best visual identifiers I've seen to inform me how much action I'm working with.

I'm playing fullscreen at 1920x1080 and I wish the fonts were bigger (in terms of dialog/mouseover text) and more legible (menus). I think the typeface for dialog is fine, but an option to increase the size would be welcome. I know the face for the menus is going for low-fi sci-fi, but it needs a little more contrast to aid in legibility.

Not sure if you lurk here, but I'll post the same feedback (which I'm sure has been mentioned before) over at the official forum. Keep up the good work!
    steam

Obscure Node
    Hey, thanks for checking the game out. I'm glad you liked it. :)

I'm planning to implement a higher resolution font for all the in game text at some point. Btw, you can increase font size for the dialog (but only for that) right now in the options.

OK, I had a look at the game and I have to say that so far I am pleasantly surprised.

It is Fallout + Metro 2033 in a way. In a way that works really well.
    The atmosphere is very good, the combat system is nice and so far the pacing of the whole thing is pretty decent.

I was thinking that maybe the tests that the protagonist has to go through before the story starts would make a good tutorial and add a bit of background before starting the proper story. So far I have been a bit lost when it came to how to use certain items correctly. It took me a while to find out how to properly reload and the poison arrows I was given also work in a strange way. Once I found out how to do things it was easy enough, but getting there was a bit of a hassle.

Right now I am mostly wondering whether the skills I chose will work well together or if I have already secretly made my life harder than it should be. A few pointer what viable builds are would be great. Although I have seen a few bits where different approaches to solve a problem were perfectly viable.

Still. Very nice game already especially considering that this is an early version.
    Oh and I love what the line of sight that the game has as well as the mood enhancing way lighting is handled.
    I am very much looking forward to more.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunjumper View Post
    OK, I had a look at the game and I have to say that so far I am pleasantly surprised.

It is Fallout + Metro 2033 in a way. In a way that works really well.
    The atmosphere is very good, the combat system is nice and so far the pacing of the whole thing is pretty decent.

I was thinking that maybe the tests that the protagonist has to go through before the story starts would make a good tutorial and add a bit of background before starting the proper story. So far I have been a bit lost when it came to how to use certain items correctly. It took me a while to find out how to properly reload and the poison arrows I was given also work in a strange way. Once I found out how to do things it was easy enough, but getting there was a bit of a hassle.

Right now I am mostly wondering whether the skills I chose will work well together or if I have already secretly made my life harder than it should be. A few pointer what viable builds are would be great. Although I have seen a few bits where different approaches to solve a problem were perfectly viable.

Still. Very nice game already especially considering that this is an early version.
    Oh and I love what the line of sight that the game has as well as the mood enhancing way lighting is handled.
    I am very much looking forward to more.
    Thanks for the feedback.

You're not the only one that was confused by the stuff you mentioned. I'll probably work in a better tutorial near the end of development.

I'm curious - who's behind the music and the art ?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by altras View Post
    I'm curious - who's behind the music and the art ?
    The in-game music are just some atmospheric drones I purchased (don't know the authors). The in-game are is drawn by me, except the character models which are done by Mark, a freelance 3D artist.

The title scene was drawn by Diego Candia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    You are a fine gentleman and a hero, Styg. Good job with the game.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    You are a fine gentleman and a hero, Styg. Good job with the game.
    Thanks. I'm glad you like it. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I am curious, where and how did you purchase these "atmospheric drones?"
    I fancy myself a composer and would love to sell some atmospheric drones!