Made by the devs of JA: BiA. Trailer:

http://www.chaos-chronicles.com/
    Funded by the Bavarian State Chancellery and the
    FilmFernsehFonds Bayern

Im not getting paid to post this.

Discuss...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I like the studio (BiA wasn't my favorite take on the genre, but it had some good ideas). But without my having watched the trailer, can someone explain why this is a spiritual successor to ToEE? I liked ToEE, but it was the most generic DnD game in recent memory (which is saying a lot).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I like the studio (BiA wasn't my favorite take on the genre, but it had some good ideas). But without my having watched the trailer, can someone explain why this is a spiritual successor to ToEE? I liked ToEE, but it was the most generic DnD game in recent memory (which is saying a lot).
    The devs uses ToEE as a benchmark for the game combat. Sorry, didn' see the older thread, fell free to merge threads...

Oh, someone can close the old one. More people around here anyways.
    Me introduces: Le Producer of the game ;)

And for ToEE: It is just the combat system (or specific parts) where we, or better said the head of the studio, said that it shall be the benchmark. Not the whole game (We had our eyes on several good old RPGs actually. ToEE being one of them. Art style is lend from Baldur's Gate a bit, turn based combat from the 80s and so on and so on...)

If you have any questions however, feel free to ask.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Who cares if there are old threads? Are we going to destroy the site by not necroing old posts?

And so as a "successor to ToEE" that means "We use something that isn't quite D&D for licensing purposes and we have a single strategy that can resolve 90% of the combat?"

For those wondering: Web and fireball
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Who cares if there are old threads? Are we going to destroy the site by not necroing old posts?

And so as a "successor to ToEE" that means "We use something that isn't quite D&D for licensing purposes and we have a single strategy that can resolve 90% of the combat?"ll
    Nah. Please excuse me but I had a pretty hard day, was on a press tour for the game in Germany actually and am still a bit tired and therefore am not in the mood to find the specific quote which made up all this ToEE stuff. It really just depends on a very specific mechanic within the combat system as far as I know. However we do not use D&D. The license, as far as I know, is over at Atari. But we use something which fans of D&D are very well known to: OGL. 3.5e. Which is "more or less" the same (yes, I know, stones will be thrown at me for that sentence: But Die-Hard-RPG-Fans: You know what I'm trying to say). t. Th hS

Obscure Node
    spiritual sucessor of Temple of Elemental Evil
    That was Knights of the Chalice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Looks good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    That was Knights of the Chalice.
    Having only 3 classes I wouldn't say so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Having only 3 classes I wouldn't say so.
    True. But it still managed to have better combat.

I'm looking forward to Chaos Chronicles. The developers know their shit and seem to love all the greats in the genre.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I was really enthusiastic up until BiA was mentioned. Now I'm interested, but deeply skeptical.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I was really enthusiastic up until BiA was mentioned. Now I'm interested, but deeply skeptical.
    I think they admitted to publisher pressure for that project. Anyway, I wonder how many modern developers bathe in boxes of good CRPGs...

http://mpress.bitcomposer.de/wp-cont...6856606181.jpg

Most probably haven't even heard of any of these games before.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    but deeply skeptical.
    That's your good right. But we hope that the game will speak for itself once it's there.
    Wonder why RPS is ignoring our mails for the frontpage... I mean, it's actually PC exclusive :D

Quote Originally Posted by CrashOberbreit View Post
    That's your good right. But we hope that the game will speak for itself once it's there.
    Wonder why RPS is ignoring our mails for the frontpage... I mean, it's actually PC exclusive :D
    They get a lot of them. Like, thousands. Daily. You need a more aggressive approach, like blunting Rossignol with a trout.

Interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I sincerely hope it will, and I certainly wish you the best of luck with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    I think they admitted to publisher pressure for that project.
    Considering my issues with that game go design-deep, I'm not sure that's much comfort.

Anyway, I wonder how many modern developers bathe in boxes of good CRPGs...
    Not enough, certainly. My fingers are very much crossed for this one.
    Last edited by vinraith; 14-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    They get a lot of them. Like, thousands. Daily. You need a more aggressive approach, like blunting Rossignol with a trout.
    You won't believe how aggressive I am. That was more of a call to those who like the game and read this: Spam them till they finally post the trailer ;-)

Considering my issues with that game go design-deep, I'm not sure that's much comfort.
    And I still can fully understand that. I don't know if it was a mistake to give the development to Coreplay or not. We did some mistakes too I guess. On the other hand... well... no one knew how big the JA-community really was. It was more of a test-balloon. To find out how the player-base is set up and such things. I know, we pissed a lot of people by deciding it not to be turn-based and by some other things as well. However we had to face the fact in the end that the game, for what it was, wasn't treated fair either (I don't complain about that actually, no one at bC does that. We even can understand that very, very well. Just a thing I'd like to note, cause there were a lot of people who took their time and tried to accept the Plan & Go system and had fun). However, for a possible JA 3 we now know a bit more about the size of the fanbase and therefore can definitely better plan. And yes, we can definitely go for a larger scope here I think. But that's future talk, right now we are concentrating on other projects - such as Chaos Chronicles for example.

You won't believe how aggressive I am. That was more of a call to those who like the game and read this: Spam them till they finally post the trailer ;-)
    Let's make a deal. If you can promote Telepath Tactics somehow somewhere I will spend a decent amount of time writing and promoting the game this weekend. I have freelanced a couple times before for some media, maybe they still remember me :)

Telepath Tactics is quite good on its own, but it's in need a bit of advertisement push. It's only one talented guy doing everything and the game is barely gonna break even :(
    Last edited by pakoito; 14-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.