Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spintires

Spintires

Man, I have been looking forward to this since a demo of it was featured in The Flare Path a year ago. The Kickstarter is finally live but it's moving kinda slowly! Like a truck stuck in the mud!

Peep dis:

If that looks good to you then give the playable tech demo a go. And if you like that, hey, how about chipping in! 20 pounds gets you a digital copy of the playable game.

Update

Now, I know you all downloaded the techdemo and had your minds blow by it already - I know this because there is literally no other way to explain the stunned silence that followed my initial post - but I got some news for ya. That demo is now OBSOLETE! But don't panic, this is a good thing! It's obsolete because the Spintires guys have released an UPDATED DEMO which contains a.... (are you sitting down?) ...RUSSIAN-MANUFACTURED 1970'S UAZ-469!!!

Yes. It's just as awesome as it sounds. Look at these screenshots!

Then look at this video!

Then go download the updated demo: http://www.oovee.co.uk/spintire-download-mirrors/ (They're gonna release a third version of the demo, which will have a bigger playable area, once they hit 20000)

Then go kick in a few bucks: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hallenge/posts

I recommend kicking in 20 bucks. Good round number.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I remember playing the original tech demo, but this looks amazing now. Does it tax you PC much?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Can't afford to pledge rightnow but hopefully I'll be able to before it closes funding. It looks really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I remember playing the original tech demo, but this looks amazing now. Does it tax you PC much?
    No, it runs great! I got High settings on everything and 1920x1080 and getting ~50 fps most of the time, occasionally it might dip down to ~40 when I drive into the water. My rig is a few years old too, I have to play Far Cry 3 at Low/Medium settings to get a good framerate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Looks nice. It also takes the "sim" driving to the proper levels. One (or more!) up from Sim farming etc as you get proper physics. Love it, but as others said, cannot fund right now :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    No, it runs great! I got High settings on everything and 1920x1080 and getting ~50 fps most of the time, occasionally it might dip down to ~40 when I drive into the water. My rig is a few years old too, I have to play Far Cry 3 at Low/Medium settings to get a good framerate.
    Good, I'll be trying it soon then.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

had a play, quite like it, but novelty wore off quick. I'm not so sure about the physics myself, looked fantastic, but felt a little un-convincing.
    Will watch with interest!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I wish cockpits weren't a stretch goal, that's something I very much want especially as the FAQ claims it'll work with a wheel. Can't spare 20 at the moment but I'll give them something as I want this to be a thing.

I played around a lot with the tech demo and had lots of fun. I can imagine having a great time with missions and time limits. I hope the vehicles are really customizable. Mods would rule, then I could go muddin' in a T-90.

Spintires already has a bit of a modding community, some people figured out how to add new vehicles to the old 2011 Demo, and the full game is being built to be very moddable so I'm sure we'll see all kinds of vehicles and content before too long. :)

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I wish cockpits weren't a stretch goal, that's something I very much want especially as the FAQ claims it'll work with a wheel.
    Since the game will be much about navigating tricky terrain, 3rd person cam makes more sense from a gameplay-standpoint (especially since you can't jump out of the cab and walk around looking for which wheel is stuck). But I agree, cockpit view would make for some very immersive gameplay. Would defenitely be nice to have the option.

I'm not much a fan of driving stuff games but I'll probably back this just because those trucks look so freaking cool.

One year later...

Well folks, the release date is just around the corner!

In a couple weeks I'll be donning my trucker cap and heading out into the woods of 1980's Russia to make a living hauling lumber and transporting goods.

It's been interesting following the devlopment on Facebook. I didn't expect the game to include this much interaction between different trucks, with the loading of lumber using cranes, and winches to pull other trucks out of the mud. Very cool stuff. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oooh that sounds excellent! Looking forward to this!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've had a bit of fun with the Demo but got bored with it after about 20-30 minutes. I'm not entirely sure what the full version actually entails. Is it "just" the Demo but with more vehicles and different locations? There seems to be some interaction between the vehicles - is it purely sandbox or mission based? I've really got no bloody idea.

I believe it'll be mainly transport missions. Kinda like an Off-Road Euro Truck Simulator. But it'll likely also have jobs where you operate the crane and pull other trucks out of the mud.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Is the full version going to have a fairly large world? I only played the original demo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's out - if anyone's dying to get in!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    My gameplay video (there is oddly no sound... I don't know what happened there...)

My favourite thing to do in the tech demo is to play around with the water, I love the way it meshes around the truck, it's incredibly realistic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    My gameplay video (there is oddly no sound... I don't know what happened there...)

My favourite thing to do in the tech demo is to play around with the water, I love the way it meshes around the truck, it's incredibly realistic.
    The game is out, that video is over a year old, no?
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.