Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Wot I'm looking for: Games with songs as background for gameplay

Like in the title. I want games from all platforms that have songs (with lyrics) during gameplay.

Wot I want - few examples:

- Shin Megami Tensei Persona series - various battle themes
    - Far Cry 3 flamethrower mission
    - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - shooting scene with Heaven's Divide playing in background
    - Metal Gear Rising boss fights
    - Loco Roco certain levels (although all lyrics are sung in gibberish)

Don't post:
    - games that have music-related things as main gameplay (Guitar Hero, Elite Beat Agents, Patapon etc.)
    - sport games (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series etc.)
    - racing/driving games (TDU, Need For Speed etc.)
    - sanboxes (GTA, Saint's Row, Watch Dogs with their radio stations etc.)
    - games that have songs only in cutscenes/credits (Portal)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Gosh, you are bossy.

Many games have a lryic'd theme which is only played in instruments during actual game-play, Worms, Cannon Fodder but that was as much a technological limitation as anything else.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Serious Sam 3 has music blaring throughout the whole game. It is awesome.

Oh wait, with lyrics?

Saints Row 4 has some, but you dont want sandboxes for some reason.

Didnt that faux heavy metal game from Doublefine have lyriced songs?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Couple of scenes in Red Dead Redemption have songs. I know it's sandbox, but it's not really the same in that case.
    Please feel free to visit my Deviant Art page.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hmm, let me see if I can come up with a few.

Devil May Cry - Just all around, songs with Lyrics during gameplay are a series staple. One of the Battlethemes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhCLdAqF9ME
    Nier - Emi Evans went nuts with this one, several languages, even invented mashups. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1CjxQXXA7o
    Republic Commando - Another made up language. Often during keysegments but still during gameplay, the game kicked in Lyrics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNyQD5Yq3E

Final Fantasy 13-2 made me want to dismantle my own ears, because the voice of the singer was like nails on a blackboard to me, but checking up on it - turns out it's just a small handful of songs with lyrics that are way, way, waaaaay overused on a mindnumbing permaloop. Most songs don't have Lyrics in them.
    Last edited by theForged; 15-06-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Ass Creed 4 has all the sea shanties but you are anti open bigoted!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    Couple of scenes in Red Dead Redemption have songs. I know it's sandbox, but it's not really the same in that case.
    Yeah, I think I get why Gamecat doesn't want sandbox titles but I'm pretty sure this would (should!) fit - scripted moments built around a specific musical cue. You could include Saints Row: The Third and IV, too, for Power, I Don't Want To Miss A Thing and What Is Love?.

EDIT: I'm assuming he wants games which use songs - with lyrics - either to score key narrative moments or significant portions of gameplay. (As opposed to just sticking a playlist on in the background, which is what all the "GTA clones" do, or AC with the sea shanties etc.)

Double EDIT: Though if I am understanding it right you could include Black Flag, what with that fantastic ending sequence. Oh! And if we're doing console exclusives there's always ICO, where merely thinking of that final cutscene brings me nearly to tears. ;_; Triple EDIT: But if we're talking just gameplay - where you're actually in control, or at least doing something - then perhaps not those two. Maybe WET - that had a great soundtrack, country and rockabilly songs, and the music does kick in at specific points - I understand why that game tanked, I do, but triggering frenzy mode and hearing The Long Tall Texans' "Adventure" start up was amazing at the time.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 15-06-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Saints Row 4 has some, but you dont want sandboxes for some reason.
    I want games where certain songs are played in certain moments (not random songs in radio while aimlessly driving a car), so RDR will be probably fine (riding to Mexico scene, huh?). Not sure about Saint's Row.

@theForged: I've heard that Nier is very good game, but I couldn't try it as I don't have PS3.

I'm assuming he wants games which use songs - with lyrics - either to score key narrative moments or significant portions of gameplay.
    Exactly, but mostly during gameplay sections.

Yeah, SR3 and 4 have the main characters singing along.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    @theForged: I've heard that Nier is very good game, but I couldn't try it as I don't have PS3.
    Neither do I, there's a version for the X-Box 360 But sadly not on PC (but hey, you asked for all platforms). I wouldn't exactly call it very good though. It's a deeply flawed game but with a beautiful soundtrack and an interesting if depressing Story (and a few unexpected surprises).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    I want games where certain songs are played in certain moments (not random songs in radio while aimlessly driving a car), so RDR will be probably fine (riding to Mexico scene, huh?). Not sure about Saint's Row.
    Yep, Saints Row fits, then. Third and IV. Kanye West "Power", Biz Markie "Just A Friend", Aerosmith "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", Haddaway "What Is Love", probably more. EDIT: Yeah, Bonnie Tyler "I Need A Hero", too. And Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract".
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 15-06-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Activated Node
    Bastion - Zia's song.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thought of another one:

Mad World (Wii) - Full Rap Soundtrack, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gre-o_tsumk

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Thought of another one:

Mad World (Wii) - Full Rap Soundtrack, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gre-o_tsumk
    Yes, but is that playing in the background whenever, or are these tracks linked to specific moments?

(I bought Mad World during the brief period I owned a Wii but couldn't play it for more than five minutes before I started getting a headache. :( Seriously, that game's art direction... ew. Fantastic in theory, godawful in practice, IMO.)

Trials Evolution has a bunch of about rap songs about playing Trials.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Uh, I understood it as if he asked for songs with lyrics that:
    - Happened during gameplay (thus no credit/cutscene stuff)
    - isn't just the radio playing songs

If that doesn't fit than... well some of his examples don't fit either :p

Network Hub
    Sander Cohen's outburst in Bioshock features Waltz of the Flowers. The contrast of a beautiful orchestral piece in a place as chaotic and disturbing as Rapture really set that scene apart in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duan...tailpage#t=135

And speaking of bioshock, infinite had the guitar basement scene and God Only Knows sequence.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Watchdogs has two missions both set to specific songs.

Persona 4 Golden has lyrics in all its songs. It's head wrecking.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

The P4Golden soundtrack is burned into my brain. I find myself humming at work near constantly.