Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

League of Legends?

Having been at the London social event and found a few fellow people who play whilst seeing no obvious thread here- anyone other LoL players wanting to avoid the flamefest that is solo queue by grouping up? I found a few up for some games- anyone else interested? Add me in game+post names here if so, same name there for me: Codor.

I play on the NA server, but it's really only with friends. If anyone wants to add me, though, I'm Mikerrrrr, and completely awful at the game.

I'm on the EU and NA server as Vextrinity, don't really play on the NA server much it's mostly to have a chance to play with NA Rioters and other fancy people, I think I'm decent at the game xp

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I'm started playing again this week on EU as Malawi Frontier. I only play Janna!

I would be up for trying the game if I could group up with some RPS guys...What do you think guys? Think we can get a team game going? (europe)

Obscure Node
    I think I'm decent at the game xp

Obscure Node
    Sorry to jump in the middle of your organizing lads, but I've never played LoL and I'm a bit put of by this "flame war" stuff I hear about. Is it that obnoxious to jump in and play with strangers?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The first 5 to 10 levels are horrible. Then it starts becoming fun, because you usually get to team up with mostly reasonable people. At least on the European servers.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I play on the US servers, but I could make an EU account. I'd say I'm pretty good, at least against the people I'm being matched with I do good.

EU West - mechimp

Tis a bloody addictive game.

Network Hub
    Provided that we can all get together for a game then I'd be in, if I'm going to inflict this game onto myself then I might as well have a full team of reasonable people to do it with.

EU West - cosmicolor

Hmmm, HoN is now also F2P, As someone who played DotA it looks more appealing, but LoL is what all my friends play and I'd have to learn all the new heroes and items

I now remember why people have such a bad experience with the community. I've watched a friend play a couple of very low level matches and it is the worst thing. Ragequitting and shit-talking players every game without any skill to at least back it up.

That must have slipped my mind since I started playing when the game came out, but then dropped it for at least a year or so. Maybe it was different back then. Past level 15 you still get the occasional dunderhead, but at least they don't blame you all the time when they run into a tower at the start of the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I am just downloading the game right now, would anyone like to give a total noob some pointers?
    I kind of wish I'd picked "dunderhead" after rereading MFG's post, but my username is PresidentWeasel on EU West
    Last edited by President Weasel; 02-08-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Obscure Node
    Play with people you know is honestly my #1 tip if at all possible, sad but true :). I started with people who were unemployed but got jobs (the bastards!) and therefore don't play as much anymore, and played with them to 30 which is one of the reasons I love the game- so many good, fun games in the way up... Otherwise- find a champ you like and stick with it while you learn mechanics. And google champion guides when you are starting- some very good ones which can teach you how to be competent at least, and much more early on.

@Pres Weasel, There is at least a nice tutorial (think its gotten better since I last played it) and if you just want to learn things there's a Co-op vs AI mode where people tend to be nice (well, quiet at least). That should also help you avoid the pain of some of the lower levels, after level 5 things already should get better as you can avoid high level players making accounts for referrals (get a new champion with 10 referrals).

The tutorial match which comes up after the basic tutorial gives you a bit less than 500 IP, enough to buy a cheap champion and runes to fill out your available slots. You don't have to buy a champion though. I recommend only buying those you already played when they were on rotation and actually liked.

Play all of the champions in a given rotation at least once to familiarize yourself with their abilities and play, it will help you make better decisions during the match. Note in particular which champions have crowd control abilities as they can put you in a very nasty position very quickly.

For runes, I wouldn't bother with tier 2 and just stick to the cheap tier 1 until you reach level 20, when you can start buying tier 3 runes. You will have more IP to spend on the more expensive champions in the long run. Runes are not a big deal in the early levels, just make sure you fill them up.
    Here is a guide to help you make decisions once you get to tier 3.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Co-op vs AI mode
    Do not play on intermediate difficulty early on though. The AI gets more gold apparently and it is possible to lose easily if you're not careful. Beginner, however, is very very easy.

As for actual play:

The default lane distribution is 2-1-2. Two players top, one in the middle, two at the bottom. In early normal games you will see several people going one lane and leaving one unattended, things like that. Try to nudge them in the right direction a bit. Stick to your tower before minions spawn. At most, go into the closer grass if you're at top or bottom lane, but only if you can get there immediately. Lower level players have this unending desire to gank you from the grass closer to you tower at level one, so watch our for that.

Later on you will see junglers, which means someone who instead of farming in lanes kills creeps in the areas in between, called the jungle. This usually means your distribution will be 1-1-2, leaving more creep kills for the top lane unless the enemy team does not have a jungler of their own, in which case top lane will be playing more conservatively.
    Look for smite on the loading screen to spot junglers, and be wary when they come out of the long grass ready to kill you. They will have picked up buffs from stronger creeps in the jungle, of which there are two on either team's side, and be quite a threat if you're not careful. In the long run you will need to guess when to expect a gank by a jungler depending on his route.

Learn to last hit minions. This is an important skill to learn. Experienced players do not autoattack enemy minions in the laning phase, but wait until allied minions reduced their health enough that a single hit from you kills them, giving them a small amount of gold for the kill. You will have to learn how low the enemy health bars can go before you need to move in and start your attack animation. If your lane goes badly and enemies prevent you from getting last hits, try to at least stay in range to get experience and wait for the minions to get pushed back to your tower, where you can farm safely.
    This is another reason why you only last hit minions. If you autoattack and use abilities, your minion wave will get pushed to the enemy tower, exposing you to ganks from the river and making it hard for you to last hit properly.

Play conservatively. Do not tower dive, that is running into range of an enemy tower to kill a champion until you are high enough level and know you can get away with it.
    Do not face-check bushes, that is walking into the long grass when you don't know where your enemies are unless you are a tank with your team nearby or you're sure you can get away with it.
    If you have low health and get away from a fight and an ally is still engaging the enemy, do not run back to get an ability or two off unless you are sure you can get away with it.

There is a pattern here. Knowing what you can get away with is what separates good players from bad ones. Until you learn this, just try to stay back a bit, even when your teammates scream at you.

solomid.net is a good site if you're looking for guides for particular champions. Make sure the guide you read is both current and approved to be on the safe side.

Finally, don't get discouraged by shit-talking, and have fun with the game.

Network Hub
    I'm gonna back up the suggestion for co-op vs ai, the people I've played with so far in that are generally quiet or are even cool people, there's been minimal shit-talking so far. If you're low level like me I'm up for forming a team and just messing around in PvP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I don't play that much anymore, but you can add me@Sabrage on the US servers. Might want to throw me an invite on Steam as well, because I'm more likely to be on that than the LoL client.

I've been playing since ~Feb last year, so I guess I can throw a few tips here and there but I wouldn't describe myself as a very patient teacher.

Hi guys, longtime RPS lurker (and sometime RPS commenter - and also used to be a RPS Eve Corp member).
    I used to play on NA servers but recently my ping went bad so I've created a new account on EU West. My account there is darkeripper. I'd love to play with other RPS people because the game is so much better with people you know and voice chat and I'd like to avoid the horrors of solo queue.