Sneaky Pete. In the Shadows Quake mod

Hopefully I am not the only one here that is interested in this. So far I've only put an hour into it and eventually had to dispense with hiding and rely on guns because I am bad at stealth games so I'll have to work on that. By the way, if you do go in there all guns blazing don't pick up the magical stealth amulet because it makes all guns and their ammo types vanish when you try to grab them. You really have to commit to stealth, there's no turning back. I had a bit of a chuckle the first time that happened to me as I was being chased down by a Hellknight and got to the nailgun when *poof* and then he just opened me up.

The stealth part is bare essentials so it won't be stealing anyone away from Thief but it totally fits Quake. I could totally see Quake being like this back in 1996 if id Software wanted to make a stealth title instead of Doom meets Cthulhu. Two of the maps here are remakes of e1m1 and e1m2 so it's not a stretch. They look fantastic, everything here looks fantastic like those really top shelf mods that you'd stumble upon every few months when Quake was in its prime. Man those were the days.

ModDB link.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    This looks rather interesting, turning an action game into a stealth game.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Is the stealth based on light/darkness at all or is it just proximity and the monster's field of view? Looks rather rudimentary. I would've been ALL OVERE THIS back in 98 when I played every Quake mod I could get my hands on, but now? Not so sure I wanna reinstall Quake just for this.

In The Shadows

@Spacewalk, thank you for posting a link to my MOD, I was not expecting anyone here at RPS to be interested much in Quake anymore. I have been working on this for the last six months and it has been a blast playing with Quake again. I have added a lot of new stuff, an extra game mode called Stealth, 3 new maps to play on and ton of new textures and models to make the environments more visually appealing.

One of my favourite games is Thief and I do like the light/dark system but I do not want to make a copy of something that already exists so I decided to go with my own system where the player is invisible but only at a certain distance. If the player gets too close to any enemies they will be noticed, lose their invisibility and have to run and hide or directly fight but that is not really want stealth combat is about. This does play slightly different to Thief because you are not constantly checking the bottom of your screen but instead the meter for your stealth is on the monsters instead (a stealth eye above them). I thought the player would enjoy stealth more if they are focused on what is infront of them all the time.

The stealth mode has a couple weapons, axe and crossbow but the crossbow has different types of ammo and functions that probably don't seem apparent straight away. I have gone for the old school approach in my initial demo where player have to discover the advanced tricks for themselves. The crossbow has two bolt types, distractions which make enemies turn around or investigate and a poison bolt which makes them go crazy and attack other enemies close by. Also not all enemies can be killed straight away and some are too tough and need to be weakened first with poison.

All the enemies have different ranges when they notice things and will also spend different amount of times looking at the source of a distraction. All of the map support three different types of stealth play, assassination (backstab everything), avoidance (no kills) and chaotic (poison bolts) and there are plenty of extra routes that only open up when playing the maps in stealth mode. The maps do support vanilla gameplay for people that are not interested in stealth but obviously the real experience is stealth orientated.

Here is a good video example of a friend of mine playing through the maps if you don't have access to Quake and still are interested to know what the gameplay is like. There are 3 parts on his youtube channel but I think the 3rd part really shows the stealth mechanics best and what the player can do.

I do plan to release a new version in the next couple of days if anyone wants to waits a short while before trying the mod. If anyone has any questions about the MOD, just let me know here.
    Thanks

In The Shadows Feedback

@Spacewalk, thank you for posting a link to my MOD, I was not expecting anyone here at RPS to be interested much in Quake anymore. I have been working on this for the last six months and it has been a blast playing with Quake again. I have added a lot of new stuff, an extra game mode called Stealth, 3 new maps to play on and ton of new textures and models to make the environments more visually appealing.

One of my favourite games is Thief and I do like the light/dark system but I wanted to try something different and decided to go with the idea of the player is invisible but only at a certain distance. If the player gets too close to any enemies they will be noticed, lose their invisibility and have to run and hide or directly fight but that is not really want stealth combat is about. This does play slightly different to Thief because you are not constantly checking the bottom of your screen but instead the meter for your stealth is on the monsters instead (a stealth eye above them).

The stealth mode has a couple weapons, axe and crossbow but the crossbow has different types of ammo and functions which are explained in the new tutorial. Scattered throughout the world is shadow books which offer more hints and tips on the more advanced uses for the new stealth weapons. The crossbow has two bolt types, distractions which make enemies turn around or investigate and a poison bolt which makes them go crazy and attack other enemies close by. Also not all enemies can be killed straight away and some are too tough and need to be weakened first with poison.

All the enemies have different ranges when they notice things and will also spend different amount of times looking at the source of a distraction. All of the map support three different types of stealth play, assassination (backstab everything), avoidance (no kills) and chaotic (poison bolts) and there are plenty of extra routes that only open up when playing the maps in stealth mode. The maps do support vanilla gameplay for people that are not interested in stealth but obviously the real experience is stealth orientated.

Here is a good video example of a friend of mine playing through the maps if you don't have access to Quake and still are interested to know what the gameplay is like. There are 3 parts on his youtube channel but I think the 3rd part really shows the stealth mechanics best and what the player can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RGbxniJz_g

There is a new version of the MOD available which adds more to the tutorial section and gives the player a ton more help/on screen messages to help understand the stealth mechanics better.

sock, who was the guy that made this, has been having a few problems with replying to the thread so he's asked me to relay this to you all. This was sent to me around the 29th so it's a bit late because I've been totally neglectful of things in general lately.

Quote Originally Posted by sock

One of my favourite games is Thief and I do like the light/dark system but I do not want to make a copy of something that already exists so I decided to go with my own system where the player is invisible but only at a certain distance. If the player gets too close to any enemies they will be noticed, lose their invisibility and have to run and hide or directly fight but that is not really want stealth combat is about. This does play slightly different to Thief because you are not constantly checking the bottom of your screen but instead the meter for your stealth is on the monsters instead (a stealth eye above them). I thought the player would enjoy stealth more if they are focused on what is in front of them all the time.

The stealth mode has a couple weapons, axe and crossbow but the crossbow has different types of ammo and functions that probably don't seem apparent straight away. I have gone for the old school approach in my initial demo where player have to discover the advanced tricks for themselves. The crossbow has two bolt types, distractions which make enemies turn around or investigate and a poison bolt which makes them go crazy and attack other enemies close by. Also not all enemies can be killed straight away and some are too tough and need to be weakened first with poison.

I do plan to release a new version in the next couple of days if anyone wants to waits a short while before trying the mod. If anyone has any questions about the MOD, just let me know here.
    Thanks
    That new version that has since been released looks to make the mod a bit more accessible. I'll be checking it out for myself some time tomorrow and maybe be posting what I think of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Interesting. I have not played a quake mod in years. This is obviously done by mappers, but is a good one. It could have ben more experimental.. with fog areas and spells, perhaps making the gameplay more credible.