Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

Best game from the old SEGA catalog?

Here's the deal: I have a GameStop gift card with $5 left on it (not enough to buy a Steam gift card =P). I don't have any consoles (that I feel like digging out of storage) so I will probably just download a PC game from their selection. Not much is under $5 except for DLC, but they do have a lot of old SEGA games that I never played.

My task for you is to tell me which of the under-$5 games on this page are worthy!

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/pc/ga...c-165-ffff2418
    (as I say, I don't really know anything about any of these; I was mainly a Nintendo n' PC child)

I might get two of the $2.99 games if I'm feeling reckless.

P.S. The voice-mail I got from GameStop, reminding me that I could spend my last five gift-card dollars on Christmas sales and stuff, was delivered by the Most Exuberant Lady I have ever heard, and listening to it felt like what I imagine it would be like to put your face under one of those new-fangled extra powerful hand dryers. O_O

P.P.S. here's the list of the games under $5, for people who can't see the link:

VectorMan
    Eternal Champions
    Crack Down Shining in the Darkness
    Empire Total War - Elite Units of America
    Fatal Labyrinth
    ESWAT: City Under Siege
    Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
    Altered Beast
    Super Thunder Blade
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Shadow Dancer
    Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
    Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja
    Columns
    Shining Force II
    Flicky
    Galaxy Force II
    Golden Axe II
    Golden Axe
    Ristar
    Sword of Vermilion
    Shining Force
    Gain Ground
    Streets of Rage
    Decap Attack
    Columns III
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    Gunstar Heroes
    Alien Storm
    Bio-Hazard Battle
    Ecco Jr
    Light Crusader
    Ecco II: The Tides of Time
    Space Harrier II
    Alien Soldier
    Streets of Rage 2
    Sonic CD
    Total War: SHOGUN Gold Edition
    Total War Battles: SHOGUN
    Last edited by Berzee; 14-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    ToeJam & Earl, it's a coop roguelike, it still holds up.

Failing that Golden Axe 1&2(2 is the peak) are good for a few dumb hours.

Note: I cannot use your link because of regional restrictions.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 14-12-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Regional restrictions as well.
    Comix Zone.
    That is all.

Posted all the games I found =) ToeJam & Earl is, I fear, not among them (but they DO sell the third game in the series for Xbox... -_-)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I like:

Gunstar Heroes

Streets of Rage 1& 2

and

Sonic CD

But I don't think I could play them again, honestly.

EDIT: I have heard good things about Shining Force, too, if you think you can stomach a 16-bit RPG.

As for me, I think the only game from that console era that I could realistically get ALL THE WAY through would be Super Mario World.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 14-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Do they make you use Impulse? If so, I would just plop down the extra 15 or whatever out of pocket and get a Steam (or, in my case, PSN) card.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

They also have the first four "Sega Genesis Classics Packs" available for $7.50 each (one of which includes Comix Zone and another of which includes ToeJam & Earl) and they seem to be the same as the classics packs on Steampowered (which is hopefully not so region-intolerant?)

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_6_4__12&term=sega+genesis+classics+pack+1

I would just plop down the extra 15 or whatever out of pocket and get a Steam (or, in my case, PSN) card.
    There's always that :P I'm guaranteed to spend the money that way as well...but I probably wouldn't end up spending it on anything so eclectic as classic Sega games. We'll see if I resist the siren call of Steam dollars (as I failed to do with the first $20 on this card!)

Shining Force II is a classic. The kind of turn-based strategy rpg you see very little of on PC: with lots of charm in the graphics, characters to level up, plenty of variety in the environments, and a story that moves things along pretty well. In my all-time top 5.

Gunstar Heroes is also brilliant, in a completely different way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I really can't choose from that list. I could reduce it by... just shy of 10 games, I think, and I'd be forced to recommend every one there.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Well, I think Steam has the same collections AND will probably have a sale on them in a week or two.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

True...but don't let that distract from the main discussion, about the worthiness of these games!
    (I think I have dedicated this $5 in my mind to getting a some of these games, regardless of where I end up buying them from...although I just downloaded the AC2 beta as well, so whatever I buy probably won't get played immediately =)

(Thanks for all the recommendations so far -- I notice that the ones being recommended, aside from Comix Zone, are ones who names at least I have heard a few times before. So I guess there's a reason for that. =)
    Last edited by Berzee; 14-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    You just got into the Assassin's Creed 2 beta?

In that case, I would vote for a Streets of Rage. Those are good games AND weren't "nintendo hard" (at last on the lower difficulty settings).

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    You just got into the Assassin's Creed 2 beta?
    :3
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...herons-call-2/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    another of which includes ToeJam & Earl
    which one, I don't see it, regional shenanigans?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You missed last week 5 of their download packs for $5 at amazon. (Yes, $5 for all 5)

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-C.../dp/B00A6CS0OU

Watch for it to possibly drop again over the next 2 weeks.

Network Hub
    Shining Force II is one of my favorite games ever. It's a tactical, turn-based RPG that seems to be a neglected genre. The closest these days is FF Tactics, but Shining Force has actual characters rather than just generic recruits.

Gunstar Heros and
    Alien Soldier are both Treasure doing what they do best - big run-and-gun games with a focus on loads and loads of bosses. Alien Soldier is AFAIK the first 'boss game' where you're pretty much just facing boss after boss.

Ristar is a wonderfully charming sega blue skies platformer.

Both Streets Of Rage games are good, but the second one is much better, so if you only get one get that.

Light Crusader is a great iso hack-and-slash dungeon crawler.

Comix Zone is a nintendo-hard scrolling beat-em-up that's got great combat but is also totally worth it for the style and setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    which one, I don't see it, regional shenanigans?
    No, just me being illiterate and easily confused. =P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Since the list is mostly sans-Comix Zone, I'd go with Gunstar Heroes.
    Or wait for Amazon to have all packs for 5$ again, maybe.

Network Hub
    I remember VectorMan being pretty good. Streets of Rage and Golden Axe are also games that I've heard good things about.

Also, if you're a fan of the Total War games and don't already own it, you could always grab the original Shogun. It's the grand-daddy of them all.