Lesser Hivemind Node

Where do I buy a NON-gaming PC from?

Some of you may notice a similarity between this thread's title and another...

My sister's just come running to me with her laptop shouting bloody murder about a failing HDD - a bit of checking later reveals something ridiculous like 1800 bad sectors, which even in my relative inexperience (and a quick google) sounds like an actual bad thing.

We've been through god-knows how many laptops in this house - dodgy hard drives, dodgy motherboards, cups of tea inverting themselves on the keyboard; all happening almost as soon as they leave warranty. Laptops also have a horrible habit of becoming slow as buggery year or two, even with thorough services/autorun/hard drive cleaning, I've found.

Since she uses an iPad (eurgh) for mobile stuff, with the laptop just living at home, even she's suggested just getting a desktop (and if nothing else, I can actually have a go at fixing a PC). I would usually happily build one myself - however, I see the chance of getting the parts delivered and everything put together by the time I leave for uni (few days into January) as almost nil. For the specs I'm thinking she requires, it probably won't be such a huge saving in absolute terms to buy ready-built anyway.

The only requirement I've been given for it is that "it runs The Sims 3". So, are there any good online or retail locations to buy a desktop PC in the UK? Even if it won't get delivered by the first few days of January, as long as I can point the family in the correct general direction it should be fine.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Here in austria (and in germany too) the Aldi got its own line of PCs called Medion, and they are very well put together. Anything like that in the UK?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Firstly, you could just replace the laptop HDD - it's not complex or expensive - 50 would be lavish and you'd have cash left-over for a transfer kit for the data ;)

Laptops don't get any slower than desktops - there's really no difference between them, honestly - no magical crystals decaying in there - in fact most low-end desktops ARE laptops, in bigger boxes.

Cheapest desktops tend to be specials from places like eBuyer - keep an eye on HotUkDeals - reality is they're no cheaper than laptops tho, so if you've no intention of upgrading them with big graphics cards etc. - you may as well just have a laptop.

For example - this

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zoos...-hd-no-1389063

When you add the cost of an operating system, is about the same price as a low-end laptop, but you also need a screen - so it's not a great deal, really.

Best laptop deal I've seen in a while is this

http://www.ebuyer.com/351622-asus-x5...op-x53z-sx066v

299.99 for a quad-core, 4Gb, semi-decent graphics - not a terrible make - Windows 7 (rather than the shit which is 8 - tho you're entitled to upgrade for 15) - what's not to love?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Here in austria (and in germany too) the Aldi got its own line of PCs called Medion, and they are very well put together. Anything like that in the UK?
    We have Aldi and they sometimes sell Medions - but not so much these days.

I work in a Computer repair shop and have done for a while now and Laptops are repairable, they are just a bit more fiddly (but who wants an easy job right?) I Generally hate uttering these next words but I will. PC world down near me have some Lenovo Desktops for around 400 bar, which isn't too bad, pretty much a generic 4 gig ram i3 machine that does the job nicely. Trjp gave a nice manufacturer for laptops (AKA asus) but I'd stick to intel and Nvidia stuff as they are always THE things to have for generic computing. Heck, We are even official Asus retailers.

http://www.ebuyer.com/411101-asus-x4...p-x401a-wx350h. This would be the laptop I'd go for personally or something similar though I know is almost 100 more than Trjp's recommendation. You could also look down the resellers route such as http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/SALE/p. They have daily deals and you can get some decent laptops pretty cheap. There is also the second hand market on eBay which we sometimes use at work. You can get some serious bargins like last week a second gen i5 with 4 gig of ram and 500gig Hard drive for 268.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Obscure Node
    Yeah this si good recommendatiosn but i just want to say you that first of all you shoulod try to find this from your home's nearest marjet for get a PC because in face of any warranty claim and ten try to visit differetn web sites of PC where the pc's informaiton and all other information is mentioned and get a PC...

Last edited by Nathan; 11-11-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopromiller View Post
    yeah,i think so, We have Aldi and they sometimes sell Medions - but not so much these days.,thanks
    Yes, I definitely recommend them, they last a long while, and are actually made of sensible components. Also, the bigger nonlaptop ones have extension docks where you can buy 3TB external drives for, no cables required.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    an i3 for a the sims and facebook computer, haha.

You could find a second hand athlon 2 and am3 mobo for like 20 euros, another 10 for 2GB of ram, 50 for a new 500GB hdd, 50 for some gtx 640 or hd7650, 50 for a case with 350W psu or something and it would still run the sims at 200 fps.

No need to buy a 100+ euro mobo and cpu combination for the frigging sims when you can make a whole build for 200 euros and never know the difference.

Also don't buy medion, their psus are crap, everyone I know who'se owned one over the years had the psu break within 2-3 years.

Had a similar experience with PSUs in Medion desktops. Started occasionally turning itself off after a couple of years and was soon dead by the third when the PSU decided to frazzle the motherboard.
    Still I suppose it was a decent PC for the money whilst it was working, although the airflow was a bit illogically designed and it seemed to clog with dust more than you'd expect.

Obscure Node
    have u tried newegg?

http://www.armari.co.uk/ Armari have always got good reviews

Obscure Node
    http://www.aria.co.uk/

Is my personal recomendation.