Activated Node

Noobie squad - NC miller

Hello all, as part of are saturday event I was going to run a crash course in planetside 2, from how to fly, to learn about recoil, settings, controls, and game mechanics. So if you would like to join for any tip, please come along tomorrow, we start around 7:30, NC miller Saturday

Network Hub
    Figure this is as decent enough place as any to ask some very noob (tho not necessarily NC specific) questions:

Resources. The little counters at the bottom left of the equip screens - um - are those my resources or our resources? By which I mean, if I blow air resources on a big blue shooty apache and then fly it (inevitably) straight into a tree has that taken resources out of the hands of players who would have been able to put them to better use? Or can I experiment (and crash) as "my" resources allow?

Base captures. Tend to play light assault quite a bit, changing around as needs dictate, but in the main during a base assault I just follow the zerg, shoot at people and hide from tanks and people who shoot back. Should I be doing much else? I've tried emptying multiple clips into a generator (which did eventually work, albeit killing me and a couple of friendlies in the explosion), so what tools should I bring for generator disposal? Should I spawn as infiltrator and start hacking terminals?

MiniMap/HUD icons. I *think* I've got this down now, but just to double check. The mini-map icon that looks like three vertical lines are generators? And the HUD icons that look like little bunkers/hobbit holes are HUD representations of the [A],[B],[C] mini map command points? And the little gun icons allow resupply and respawn as heavy because suddenly-tanks?

Talking of heavies - is there a better way of dealing with enemy armour? I note that I've gotten all of three kills with my rocket launcher, with 93 shots fired, 36.5% of those on target. This works out as over 11 on target shots per kill. Is it a case of needing to ensure concentrated fire (as I suspect I'm just wounding a lot of tanks rather than actually finishing the buggers off) or are there better tools for the job? 1000 certs for guided rockets seems a long way off.

Many thanks in advance, I'll hook try to hook up on Friday/Saturday, I've already seen/shot/run away from a good few of the purple RPS crew. IGN: RainorShine, kill death ratio approaching 1/2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    are those my resources or our resources
    Yours. There's no global pool for anything.

Base captures
    Depends. If you're LA you're incredbly nimble and mobile and can go places others can't. When you're more comfortable with the base layouts you can consider hunting down enemy snipers on their favorite spots, out-flanking the zerg vs. zerg and doing sabotage, C4ing stuff etc. Also generators are destroyed by approaching them and holding E. They'll start overloading and you have to prevent the enemy from stabilizing them until they explode.

MiniMap/HUD icons
    Check DeVadder's guide, he does an excellent job in explaining all the base icons.

Talking of heavies
    Hit them in the back, it does 200% damage. Note that you have to stand in 90 arc behind the target to deal rear damage. If you're standing to it's side and manage to get a lucky shot on the rear it'll still count as side damage.

HA will loose long to mid range engagements with an enemy tank if the tank driver/gunner is at least somewhat competent. But that's what you got the numbers for. A swarm of HA with engineers to supply them can hold off a tank zerg. Don't bother with the guided launcher, it has it's own drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
    Resources. The little counters at the bottom left of the equip screens - um - are those my resources or our resources?
    Your personal resources
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
    Base captures. Tend to play light assault quite a bit, changing around as needs dictate, but in the main during a base assault I just follow the zerg, shoot at people and hide from tanks and people who shoot back. Should I be doing much else? I've tried emptying multiple clips into a generator (which did eventually work, albeit killing me and a couple of friendlies in the explosion), so what tools should I bring for generator disposal?
    Walk up to the generator, hold E down and then stand back and wait for the fireworks, shooting doesn't help, standing too close is just suicide. It's a common mistake.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Resources. The little counters at the bottom left of the equip screens - um - are those my resources or our resources? By which I mean, if I blow air resources on a big blue shooty apache and then fly it (inevitably) straight into a tree has that taken resources out of the hands of players who would have been able to put them to better use? Or can I experiment (and crash) as "my" resources allow?
    Those are your own personal resources, so spend them as you want to spend them. No one else will be harmed by it....well unless you fly into them :P

Base captures. Tend to play light assault quite a bit, changing around as needs dictate, but in the main during a base assault I just follow the zerg, shoot at people and hide from tanks and people who shoot back. Should I be doing much else? I've tried emptying multiple clips into a generator (which did eventually work, albeit killing me and a couple of friendlies in the explosion), so what tools should I bring for generator disposal? Should I spawn as infiltrator and start hacking terminals?
    To blow up a generator you need to press E when you stand next to it. It will then start to overload and after a short time it willl blow up (this will kill you if you are to close). Most of the time defenders will try to stabelise the generator. (same method, press E to stabelise)

MiniMap/HUD icons. I *think* I've got this down now, but just to double check. The mini-map icon that looks like three vertical lines are generators? And the HUD icons that look like little bunkers/hobbit holes are HUD representations of the [A],[B],[C] mini map command points? And the little gun icons allow resupply and respawn as heavy because suddenly-tanks?
    Generators have different icons. The general rule is that the icon on a shield corresponds to an icon of a generator. This generator powers that specific shield. Most bases have multiple generators that power different shield around the base. Some shield even have two generators powering it.

The little gun is a infantry station, so yeas there you can resupply and change class. The little bunker/hobbit hole (I assume you mean the bunker type with an arrow in it) are the satalite bases around a larger base. These points don't give you any progress in capturing a base. They provide you with the possibility of a spawn point, vehicle terminal and infantry terminals. See them as a foot hold in a larger assault. In larger bases they also provide acces points, like jump pads and teleports, into the main structure (biolabs).

Talking of heavies - is there a better way of dealing with enemy armour? I note that I've gotten all of three kills with my rocket launcher, with 93 shots fired, 36.5% of those on target. This works out as over 11 on target shots per kill. Is it a case of needing to ensure concentrated fire (as I suspect I'm just wounding a lot of tanks rather than actually finishing the buggers off) or are there better tools for the job? 1000 certs for guided rockets seems a long way off.
    Go for the back. A MBT can take a lot of rockets to the front armour and several to the sides. On the back it is only a few shots before it goes up in flames. As a single heavy VS a MBT you will not win most of the times (unless our called Ayam and you dance with the devil). Try to hide and attack it from the back.

Focus fire will also work much better as engineers can out repair a heavy with a rocket launcher, specially if you attack from the front.

I hope this helps.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    Those are your own personal resources
    yay! Immediately upon learning this I jumped in a MAX suit for the first time and shot a Magrider in the bottom till he exploded (several nanoseconds subsequently passed until a barrage of explodey pixels zeroed in on me, but still I WAS A HAPPY LITTLE TERMINATOR)

Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    To blow up a generator you need to press E
    OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH. Realisation dawns. Ooops.

Folks I can't thank you enough for this and all the other innumerable tips and tippets in this thread. Been playing since Friday night and hadn't a clue what was going on for so much of the time.

Have thus far unlocked most/all of the 1 cert upgrades across the classes/vehicles, stuck a 2x reflex scope and a laser pointer on the light assault/engineer's default carbine and slightly upgraded rocket boots for the LA. Bouncing around like a kid in a sweet shop looking for what to go for next

I'll offer my own top tip just in case anyone falls to my level of ineptitude. When you spend your first cert on the nanoweave armour (10% more health for 1 cert seems like a good call) remember you actually need to equip it into the suit slot in your loadout. Don't go running around the entire weekend thinking you've got 10% extra health when you haven't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Bouncing around like a kid in a sweet shop looking for what to go for next
    If you like HA but can't be arsed to pay real money for the other weapons (which aren't that good anyway) I can only recommend the compensator, forward grip and either the 2x or 3.2x scope. The gun still sucks in CQC but excels in mid-range to even long range combat when fired in short bursts. (Aim at the torso, the recoil will put the follow up shots in their head).

Banned
    First noob tip: Don't play NC(too late)
    Second noob tip: Don't play on Miller

LA: Floor is lava. Avoid any obvious route(stairs, gravlifts). Avoid Esamir. Indar is okay-ish, depending on the region. Amerish is best because of the trees. Even good players often forget about the trees, and you should hop on every tree you see. Avoid compulsive spotting, everyone can hear your voice. Get C4 soon and drop it on people's heads(much better than grenades because it isn't made out of rubber), it also does massive damage to enemy armor if you stick it to the top. Also great to throw it from behind a shield in a camped spawn room. Then go resupply for another one, repeat for killstreaks. Suppressor is good against baddies, but any half-decent player will notice you anyway, personally I think it's not worth gimping yourself.

HA vs. armor: unless you have a side/rear/top shot and element of surprise or are in a group with some other heavies... honestly don't even bother. Tanks will simply retreat, Sunderers have stupid amount of HP with the armor cert, and everyone and their mother runs an engineer(and sun drivers/passengers/spawns can simply switch on the spot) so they can repair their ride for free while you waste all your rockets and then get killed by someone who saw your blatantly obvious rocket trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan
    If you like HA but can't be arsed to pay real money for the other weapons (which aren't that good anyway) I can only recommend the compensator, forward grip and either the 2x or 3.2x scope.
    For NC? Gauss Saw is absolute garbage. Every other LMG is better. Instead of spending 330 certs to make bad weapon mediocre, you can drop a 230 on GD-22S with laser and a scope and have a very good close combat weapon that can also hold its own in midrange.

Hey there, I installed the game just yesterday, registered an account (although I had a bit of trouble with changing my password right after registration) and jumped into the game without knowing a lot about it. Didn't make it further than the spawn room plus a few meters away from the door, where I was repeatedly shot down. Apparently you can be killed inside your spawn? What's up with that?

I am eager to give the game another try, but so far it is really tough for me to judge if it is my cup of tea. Maybe there are some more noobie introductions planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    First noob tip: Don't play NC(too late)
    Second noob tip: Don't play on Miller
    Could you please list some reasons for those "tipps"?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Just hop on mumble at en evening and ask the people there. They don't mind giving you a quick rundown and stuff. If you plan to join on a friday night I would give the tip to be 30-60 minutes early to get the rundown. Going in with no idea is one thing, going in with no idea and people telling you to do stuff you don't know about...

Didn't make it further than the spawn room plus a few meters away from the door, where I was repeatedly shot down. Apparently you can be killed inside your spawn? What's up with that?
    Maybe the area was taken as you spawned? Otherwise you should be "safe" in a spawnroom. (some explosions do travel through the shield/walls)

Some people concider the NC to have the weakest weapons. Some arguments used hold some truth, some don't. They aren;t the easiest faction to play, thats for sure. But that all doesn;t matter if you play and have fun in a group.

Besides that, Miller itself was in the first week(s) a place of pure chaos and madness. Lag, crashes, queues, warping, etc. This has been cleared up now, and the server is as stable as the others. So it still crashes from time to time, but not as much as in the first week(s).

Have fun and welcome to planetside 2. Please take your free gift of freedom and take your aliminium hat with you at all time to be safe from strange purple alien mind control thingies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Newbie tutorials are planed to release till February. Till then you should use crowd made material to enlighten yourself.
    IMO, faction choice honestly has little meaning due to patch balancing.
    I suggest some videos today a bit with playing more after and find someone on mumble to help (I'd offer myself, but I'm working for 27 more hours this shift).

Couple link threads from this forum to check out:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...d-over-the-net
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ful-info-links
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 20-12-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Whether NC weapons are balanced or not aside, they do tend to have highest recoil, for which you need to manually compensate if you want to hit anything. TR doesn't really have that problem since by the time recoil really kicks in the enemies are likely already dead, and VS weapons... don't even get me started on VS weapons. The point is, of all the factions NC weapons require the most skill to use effectively.

As for Miller - most PS1 veterans and Beta veterans play on Miller. So you will not only go against people with hundreds of hours under their belt, you will also go against people with thousands of certs spent on their classes or vehicles - and that creates another problem since Planetside 2 gives long-term players clear in-game advantages(Things like Nanoweave, faster fire rate for vehicles, etc.).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I can't say I've had any problems with playing on Miller. I guess it's possible I could do better on another server, but honestly individual skill and equipment only gives you so much of an edge in this game.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll check some links and try to get a hang of things. After Christmas, I'll probably join you in one of the regular sessions. Maybe I'll even get a bit of SC during the triple sale.

Activated Node
    now i got a question, dose the exp boost and what not that u buy, when u implant it dose it only tick down when ur online playing the game or dose it continue to tick when ur offline aswell?

Banned
    I'm fairly sure it works even when you're offline too because I've seen people bitching about servers being down longer than usual on the SOE forums because of it.