Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Suggestions on what is worth buying with SC

So a triple SC offer looms - which means a lot of us will have an opportunity to buy stuff - I think it would be good to pull together suggestions on what actually is worth buying and what is just a waste of cash.

I bought an infantry pack for the Vanu and see it as a mediocre buy as the guns offered there are pretty much the same as basic guns with exception of an infiltrator? My second buy was an AV rocket for a heavy -also not a best purchse decision.

So far am playing mostly engineer with basic solstice rifle/front grip/2x holo and exchange to NV when it gets dark.

So what are your suggestions??

PS. Yes I know Giraffe camo is a number one pick, but there is plenty more to be had

Banned
    You do know you don't HAVE to buy SC, right? They're not going to ban you.

so ignoring mohos post:

The solstice SF is a good buy, so far, because of the added rail upgrades. the smoke launcher is probably the best choice, together with the NV.

I will also be getting a shotgun, probably the pandora, as more damage is always better.

However, I am also going to buy the infantry and vehicle giraffe camo, the infinite one, as they have more vehicles incoming.

Aside from that, I am concentrating on liberator and possibly lightning, as I dont think any of the sunderer weapons aside from the baisc ones really worth it.

For me, SC just means slightly faster getting to a build I like, as you still need to cert the guns to be any good. I will, however, be getting 45k SC using the 99$ option.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    If you are not buying SC, then it is EVEN MORE important to know what to cert given how much time you have to spend playing in order to afford a gun. If you DO buy, why waste it?

Oh and thank you for your post - I LOVE to explain the obvious and tell people to read with understanding :P

I've tried the Warden via the demo-thing (The NC battle rifle, not sure off-hand what the VS one is called) on my Engineer and quite liked it, it gives my Engineer a bit of longer range punch.

If you ever jump in a Lightning I'd say the Lightning guns, except the Skyguard, are pretty much always useful. The stock Lightning gun is pretty shitty, the other guns are straight upgrades I feel especially when it comes to going against other armour, the anti-tank gun is just soooo much better.

The other-arm AA Max weapon is probably one most people will be getting so if you ever jump into a MAX it might be good to just flesh yourself out. That said since I mostly too play Engineer I find I never have enough Inf resources for a MAX as I'm too busy being free and easy with my mines. I guess the same too could go for the Anti-Vehicle MAX weapon on the other hand.

The VS pistol maybe? When it comes to bang-for-buck, the Pistol works for all classes so gives you another secondary weapon option on anything you play.

My initial thought is to grab the vehicle weapons pack. For one it has rocket pods which seem essential (even after the slight nerf) for all ESF's.
    After that I think I'd second JayTee with regards to a second MAX AA weapon as almost essential if you are thinking of playing this class.

Then I was going to treat myself to another infantry weapon but at the moment I'm undecided as to which one.

Oh and Giraffe/any camo but that goes without saying

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    If you're going to fly, the rocket pods are definitely worth getting - or the anti-air missiles - there are always mosquitos and they're always annoying.

Activated Node
    Infantry weapons seem to be situational in many cases. Both Pandora and Lasher come to mind. The Pandora is awesome in close spaces, like storming stairs in a tower. But meet an enemy outside, 1 on 1, and you are toast. The Lasher is very nice when you have clusters of enemies at mid-range, for example Pandora-equipped enemies storming up the stairs in a tower. You rack up a lot of assists and quite a few assists in these instances. It is also very good as a n area denial tool - enemies will stray away from the firehose. Allies on the other hand will do what they can to jump into it, so you run a constant risk of being weapon locked. Finally, encountering any MAX at mid-range is pretty cool with the Lasher - easy headshots against them, and the high damage will allow you to come out ahead in most cases. Both close range and long distance however the Lasher will leave you as easy food for enemies. Both guns are very nice purchases, but only when you find yourself in these situations a lot.

Activated Node
    I'll second the vehicle weapons pack. The rocket pods, Lib gun and anti infantry guns for the tanks are all worth having and would cost more alone.
    The Sauron top gun for the magrider is a big upgrade in power over the default.
    A second burster for the MAX is pretty much essential if you want to use it for AA.

I'll probably pick up some SC but might just wait for daily sales to come round.

For me the most important choices are rocket pods, Solstice SF, a gun for the lib, second burster. Of course only if you ever play any of the classes/vehicles.
    Also, i will certainly buy the Artemis VX26, an automatic rifle for the infiltrator. I use the infiltrator exclusively to hack consoles while attacking and in those cases, a sniper rifle just does not help me.
    I got it on another server and really miss it.

I bought the Solstice SF with certs and I like it a lot. It's the same gun as the normal Solstice, but it adds burst fire which I have no use for. However, the smoke grenades are really nice. Very handy to lay down cover when you want to mine the bridge on Esamir.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    HE weapon for the Lightning or Magrinder is a beast against Infantry (I would tend to go for Lightning and use the Magrinder for AV)
    Also the second burster for the Max is a useful investment.
    Also investing into the Lib is worth it. Going to do that with the tripple cash. Only problem is that shared xp within vehicles is not working as one might expect so Lib pilots who buy the stuff get a bit screwed at the moment (going to change soon last I heard)
    I would not recommend investiing SC into a sniper bolt action rifle. You can get a pretty good one for 100 certs (if I remember correctly, at least it's not that much. You can save up for it pretty fast)
    In terms of shotguns, I use the Thanatos and it's okay to pretty good close up but from what I read is not as good as others with slugs (haven't tried yet. Use the Thanatos for close up hipfire). But overall I would not recommend shotguns all too much. They are very situational and in most situations you are better off with another type of gun.
    Last edited by bonkers; 17-12-2012 at 12:03 AM.

what about uniformed camo! for special nights etc! :P therell be plenty of spare stationcash lol
    Ayam... what r u doin... Ayam! stahp!! *squish*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You know you don't HAVE to post on threads, right? They're not going to ban you.

I'll probably buy some boosts for cert gains, the camo for the RPS outfit and maybe pimp out the Magrider.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    The only "must buy" is a shotgun. They can be used by everyone except infiltrator and are a real bonnus in certan bases (but uselsss in many situations. But given their wide availability, they're the most bang-for-buck.

Beyond that, focus on bolstering what you already enjoy playing. i.e: Don't bother getting the Zephyr if you never fly a lib. but get the Zephyr and maybe even also the Dalton if you do enjoy flying a lib.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    The solstice SF is a good buy, so far, because of the added rail upgrades. the smoke launcher is probably the best choice, together with the NV.
    It should be noted that for every faction the "select fire" carbine is worse in stats than the default equivalent, usually by a factor of 10-15%. We're talking lower rate of fires, accuracy, more recoil, etc. It is possible that all the extra certs(compensator, double laser sight, etc.) either equalize the base and select fire version or make the select fire version slightly better, but I've never seen hard numbers behind weapon certs so I'm not sure of it.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't approach the select fire carbine with the "it's an upgrade" mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by reyn78 View Post
    If you are not buying SC, then it is EVEN MORE important to know what to cert given how much time you have to spend playing in order to afford a gun. If you DO buy, why waste it?

Oh and thank you for your post - I LOVE to explain the obvious and tell people to read with understanding :P
    You made your entire post in the "SC sale is coming and since I'm a consumerist I will simply have to buy it" mindset, so don't turn it into "general weapon/cert advice" now.

Don't expect people to "read with understanding" if you suck at putting your thoughts into words.

It should be noted that for every faction the "select fire" carbine is worse in stats than the default equivalent, usually by a factor of 10-15%. We're talking lower rate of fires, accuracy, more recoil, etc. It is possible that all the extra certs(compensator, double laser sight, etc.) either equalize the base and select fire version or make the select fire version slightly better, but I've never seen hard numbers behind weapon certs so I'm not sure of it.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't approach the select fire carbine with the "it's an upgrade" mindset.
    While that is true, the question was which weapons are worth getting and it is my (and others) opinion, that the Solstice SF is worth getting for engineers and lights. I would assume, that people thinking about spending SC do check attributes for themselves.
    The main reason i believe the trade-off is worth it in this case is the underbarrel-smoke.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Another vote for the Solstice SF. The attachments and the selectable fire rates make up for the trade off of slower reloading. Let's be honest, if you're caught reloading you're dead anyway, an extra second isn't going to make a difference.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I too bought the Thanatos and was frankly underwhelmed by its effectiveness. May be that I'm using it wrong, or that I got "the wrong shotgun" or whatever, but I really don't use it all that often nowadays. I find that the 6 shots in the clip aren't enough to kill a dude, never mind two or three, and I'm consistently killed when reloading, as Jesus_Phish so succinctly points out.

Like the Solstice SF, though I find its stopping power to be less than excellent. I do believe we should be better at utilising smoke grenades, C4, mines, infiltrator scanners and other utilities like that, though, as a group, I mean, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by vanstrak View Post
    what about uniformed camo! for special nights etc! :P therell be plenty of spare stationcash lol
    Giraffes is the camo of choice for RPSers. I will be buying inf and vehicle infinite giraffe camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    The only "must buy" is a shotgun. They can be used by everyone except infiltrator and are a real bonnus in certan bases (but uselsss in many situations. But given their wide availability, they're the most bang-for-buck.
    is the pandora any good? some recommend the nova over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Another vote for the Solstice SF. The attachments and the selectable fire rates make up for the trade off of slower reloading. Let's be honest, if you're caught reloading you're dead anyway, an extra second isn't going to make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    While that is true, the question was which weapons are worth getting and it is my (and others) opinion, that the Solstice SF is worth getting for engineers and lights. I would assume, that people thinking about spending SC do check attributes for themselves.
    The main reason i believe the trade-off is worth it in this case is the underbarrel-smoke.
    Yes, in order for the smoke to work properly, we need squads with nv sights, and actually using tactics & comms to our advantage. Solstice SF is going to be the first I buy.

Addendum: what about the A30 walker for the magrider? worth it? its on "sale" now. I havent ever used it, and it alledgedly got an upgrade.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 17-12-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."