Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    You made your entire post in the "SC sale is coming and since I'm a consumerist I will simply have to buy it" mindset, so don't turn it into "general weapon/cert advice" now.

Don't expect people to "read with understanding" if you suck at putting your thoughts into words.
    Oh I'm sorry - I wrote a post with a general line: lot of people (including me) will spend certs, let's put recommendations what is worth buying. You didn't bother to read it properly nor to understand it it and went on a flame.
    I had not written any of the stuff what you suggest I had nor I had I changed my original message as you would suggest with your "don't turn it into general advice" crap comment. It was there from the beginning. Seems everyone got my thoughts, but you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I too bought the Thanatos and was frankly underwhelmed by its effectiveness. May be that I'm using it wrong, or that I got "the wrong shotgun" or whatever, but I really don't use it all that often nowadays. I find that the 6 shots in the clip aren't enough to kill a dude, never mind two or three, and I'm consistently killed when reloading, as Jesus_Phish so succinctly points out.
    Pretty much my experience. I don't know if its my pc performance or what but I very often need three to four hits to kill someone (which takes pretty long, concerning the short ttk in this game). And if he is further away then three meters, sometimes even that won't kill him.
    I don't know if it is a Thanatos problem but I used the Nova in beta and LOVED it, but went with the Thanatos as it's stats and desciption seemed to be more of my liking.
    Currently I can NOT advise anyone to buy the Thanatos. I only use the Thanatos when I am fooling around and not really care about what I am doing. If playing serious I take anything, but not the Thanatos. Even in Biolabs and the like. It's bad in many(most) situations and does not excel in situations it is designed to be used in.
    Last edited by bonkers; 17-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I use the Nova a lot, never had the Thanatos.

The Nova seems to kill any infantry bar a shield-on HA in two hits from point-blank. Which makes it useful anyway, but brilliant as a light assault who can get in behind the enemy and not be seen.

It's weakness is it's range. Which makes sense as a shotgunl; but, really, the scatter on this is absurd. Beyond 10m you are at a disadvantage, a disadvantage that increases exponentially from then on.

If you are in tight spaces, it's brilliant. Especially with the extended clip cert. But you need to get in the habit of sprinting right up to the enemy before firing, rather than returning fire straight away.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I used the Nova in beta, thought the scatter was fine and was getting kills over 15 meters away with little difficulty. It was brilliant for inside base jobs. If you got the drop on anyone coming around a corner you were pretty much going to win.

I've not used it since however.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    The Nova seems to kill any infantry bar a shield-on HA in two hits from point-blank. Which makes it useful anyway, but brilliant as a light assault who can get in behind the enemy and not be seen.

It's weakness is it's range. Which makes sense as a shotgunl; but, really, the scatter on this is absurd. Beyond 10m you are at a disadvantage, a disadvantage that increases exponentially from then on.

If you are in tight spaces, it's brilliant. Especially with the extended clip cert. But you need to get in the habit of sprinting right up to the enemy before firing, rather than returning fire straight away.
    I shall have to give the Th. another shot, I guess, never mind the pun.

... so no love for the pandora?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ... so no love for the pandora?
    Nova has almost twice the ammo than Pandora, and Pandora being an automatic shotgun, means the ammo is used way quicker than the Nova, at least the way I use them. Damagewise it seems Nova is a bit better than Pandora. My thoughts at least.
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Cobalt) : SceptrumTR (Cobalt)

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptrum View Post
    Nova has almost twice the ammo than Pandora, and Pandora being an automatic shotgun, means the ammo is used way quicker than the Nova, at least the way I use them. Damagewise it seems Nova is a bit better than Pandora. My thoughts at least.
    really? the pandora rates higher on that very inaccurate bar on the right side.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I bought the Thanatos because every class could use it and then proceeded to never use it. I really should try these trials more often. ^^
    I can only kill people with the Thanatos in situations where i could easily have killed them with any automatic weapon as well. At these ranges, the ttk is so little anyways that most fights are fully decided by who fires first, at least for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Sorry for going off-topic but as we are already talking about it

I took a look at some numbers and threads and it seems to be this way:

The faster reload shotguns (like Thanatos) are at a disadvantage (at least to the standard ones) simply because they shoot slower. Also their scoped cone of fire is a bit larger (but you hipfire most of the time anyway).

On paper shotguns have on par ttk with other weapons until 10m, but because of the spread and cone of fire it makes it hurt you more if you miss a shot.
    The amount of shots to kill infantry is the same for all shotguns, but as the Thanatos shoots slower, you need longer until you have killed your opponent and you are longer outside of cover. And due to the low time to kill in this game the Thanatos puts you into unnecessary risk.

So IF you are getting a shotgun, judging by the numbers (which support my experience with the Thanatos), do not go with the Thanatos.
    Overall shotguns do NOT seem to be sidegrades. At least one of them (luckily the one I chose :l) is not on one level with the others.

I am currently not sure about the Pandora. The Pandora seems to be more effective over longer ranges damage wise (also beats the Thanatos in close range) which might simply be related to it firing faster. Overall it seems to have the highest DPS. But I am not sure how those numbers turn out in actual gameplay. But as it is the fastes shotgun, it might be the best one in close quarters.
    I think I will give it a try and rent it sometime soon.
    Last edited by bonkers; 17-12-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    nova + slug ammo = some pretty ridiculous happenings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Nova is allright. I prefer automatics though, much more versatile.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    My issue with the Pandora is that if you are holding down the fire button on a shotgun you are probably being inefficient. every shot really counts, and it's rare to have an enemy fully in your crosshairs for two shots following each other immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I just had a 30 min trial of the pandora, and I fucking loved it. It is very specific in usability, but its a shotgun, so thats a given anyway.

Now if only the pistol had a proper scope, then I could short range/medium range in one build.

PS: I had an awesome moment earlier today, where I shot a max that was for some reason knifing me, in the face with a full auto pandora blast. damn straight. (as engineer, no less)

Also, I know everyone knows already, but having engie/max pairs is fucking awesome for quick XP generation. You get awesome damage output coupled with fast HP regen.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Also, I know everyone knows already, but having engie/max pairs is fucking awesome for quick XP generation. You get awesome damage output coupled with fast HP regen.
    Come and hug me with that repair gun bro and I'll give you some luvin. Way too few engies repairing big robot men. We are your friends and we kill a lot of bad people if you repair us

Banned
    This is probably the right place to post this - triple SC next friday.

(Which, of course, rings all sorts of alarms of the "just how desperate are they/just how much longer does this game have to live anyway" variety. Not that it'll stop you)

This is probably the right place to post this - triple SC next friday.

(Which, of course, rings all sorts of alarms of the "just how desperate are they/just how much longer does this game have to live anyway" variety. Not that it'll stop you)
    Yeah, we know.

And I honestly would appreciate it if you find another offer after this one, to post it there. thanks!

also, ridebird, any time. if we could get a max squad made out of maxengie pairings and a medic, we could very well be unstoppable.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Doesn't ring anything of the sort Mohorovicic. They will probably make a lot of money on friday, and you'll see plenty of new guns/skins/etc released next year.

well thats it then. I guess I wont be buying anything. for fucks sake.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Hardly.

They have done triple SC deals at least twice before (That was from 10s of google searching, I'm too lazy to do more) including one about 2 weeks before PS2 released. Not to mention PS2 is not the only game that uses SC.