Thread: Mid-Life Crisis

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Mid-Life Crisis

I suddenly realize the lack of new gaming ideas in recent years: a typical mid-life crisis.

To play new game mode, one requires to learn new techniques to play, so that one can in return learn through gaming. Most keep playing the same few game genres, with same few input modes for good reason, most gamers grown in 90s are already in our middle age. All those game houses are doing, are merely to meet our limited tastes. I feel old, I hate to admit this but we really should leave room for the new youths.

To resolve this crisis, the only way out seems to be saving up for a Porsche. Haha~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    [/rant]

What do you want? A lot of PC players start cursing like a sailor, if games dare to focus on working best with a game pad instead of people's beloved M+K. Anyway, just quit gaming for a year and then come back. That should make games either feel fresh again, or you'll just abandon them for good. It's not so much age, but closed-mindedness.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Grab some portable console - for me it was game-changer (hehehe) and you can get used DS or PSP for few bucks.
    Now I'm playing more or less obscure games with some interesing mechanics.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Now I'm playing more or less obscure games with some interesing mechanics.
    Isn't the indie pc scene or retro games better for that kind of stuff? Any recommendations?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would recommend playing older games for one. There's a ton of UI funkiness and frustration that leads to both appreciation of the original game and appreciation of the advances made.

I've found a lot of quality is to be found in the still existing AA teams, you just have to tolerate a bit of jankiness:
    Obsidian can weave a hell of a world.
    Piranha Bytes approached Risen 2 with such a gleeful embrace of Pirates tropes that they came up with a skill that lets you shoot people in conversation and thieving monkey training.
    Zeno Clash is bizarre and strange and wonderful.
    Bastion had its neat narration mechanic. Just Cause 2 fully embraces the gleeful nihilism of shooters.
    Orcs Must Die has really satisfying moments when you've built the perfect mousetrap.
    Doublefine is gleeful enthusiasm and creativity looking for a home.
    Dejobaan really has fun with their games, making addictive experiences I keep going back to.
    Q-Games (Pixeljunk) has masterful experiences that really know the strength of their genre.

/* Person in twenties pretending to be an old man

The real thing that tires me about games is how the progress and experimentation of the nineties petered off. Black Isle died. Looking Glass died. Troika died. Bioware morphed into some crazy hellspawn. Epic became a middleware peddler. Etc.

Old man impersonation over.*/

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    Isn't the indie pc scene or retro games better for that kind of stuff? Any recommendations?
    For Western games yes. It's been an open secret that the DS has been the best JRPG platform since the PS2 for years. The lower fidelity (which means lower budgets) attracted a lot of interesting side projects. The wii also benefited from this in a lesser fashion. Little King's Story, A Boy and His Blob, Endless Ocean Blue World, and Fragile Dreams are incredibly unique experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    What do you want? A lot of PC players start cursing like a sailor, if games dare to focus on working best with a game pad instead of people's beloved M+K.
    So your solution to boring and old mechanics is to tout a nineteen year old input method? Granted it's half the age of M&K, but it's largely a solved problem and thus won't intrinsically have more experimentation.
    Last edited by Internet; 21-12-2013 at 03:35 PM.

I think the Steam controller might help bring some more experimentation in the coming months.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wouldn't say it's better.
    At least 50% of indie PC scene is made with retro/sad/retro & sad platformers. 40% is kickstarter nostalgia stuff aka "pay us for remaking 10/20 years old mechanics but with shinier graphics and slightly less shitty controls", 5% are casual/hidden object games, 4% are simulators and only 1% are Really Innovative Games.
    Or at least it's how it looks in my eyes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Dota, never play other games.

I wouldn't say it's better.
    At least 50% of indie PC scene is made with retro/sad/retro & sad platformers. 40% is kickstarter nostalgia stuff aka "pay us for remaking 10/20 years old mechanics but with shinier graphics and slightly less shitty controls", 5% are casual/hidden object games, 4% are simulators and only 1% are Really Innovative Games.
    Or at least it's how it looks in my eyes.
    I think that's a bit exaggerated. Antichamber, papers please, gone home, shelter, proteus, thirty flights of loving, mirrormoon ep, brothers a tale of two sons, kairo, little inferno, starseed pilgrim... there are many games that are innovating in terms of mechanics and what you're supposed to be doing in them. Don't get me wrong, the stuff you mentioned is undeniably part of the indie scene, I just don't think it's in the percentages you proposed.

Edit: To be clear, I wasn't affirming that it was in fact better, I was asking how it was in comparison with the innovation in portable games, which is something I'm not very familiar with.
    Last edited by SirDavies; 21-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    So your solution to boring and old mechanics is to tout a nineteen year old input method? Granted it's half the age of M&K, but it's largely a solved problem and thus won't intrinsically have more experimentation.
    I wasn't implying that game pad controls are innovative. I was pointing out that lots of people are too conservative, and wouldn't actually buy games with daring new concepts when left to their own devices. They'd need someone to convince them otherwise, kind of like sheep.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think that's a bit exaggerated.
    Maybe, but as in any other medium, you have some rubbish, fuckton of decent (rather unorginal but fun) things and small amount of outstanding pearls.
    For each "Papers, Please" you can find 10 or more medicore platformers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    For each "Papers, Please" you can find 10 or more medicore platformers.
    But you don't have to play those 10 or more mediocre platformers, so why do they even matter?

Exactly, it would be like dismissing the entire Wii catalog as "boring social games for grandmas".

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I suddenly realize the lack of new gaming ideas in recent years: a typical mid-life crisis.

To play new game mode, one requires to learn new techniques to play, so that one can in return learn through gaming. Most keep playing the same few game genres, with same few input modes for good reason, most gamers grown in 90s are already in our middle age. All those game houses are doing, are merely to meet our limited tastes. I feel old, I hate to admit this but we really should leave room for the new youths.

To resolve this crisis, the only way out seems to be saving up for a Porsche. Haha~
    I hear you, squirrel. Same here.
    If it wasn't for Banished I would say I lost my hopes for gaming completely.
    As saving for that Porsche, I have to quit smoking for that :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    But its logical that there are no new ideas,publishers want safe road so they pick already established stuff,and remake it one hundred times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I wasn't implying that game pad controls are innovative. I was pointing out that lots of people are too conservative, and wouldn't actually buy games with daring new concepts when left to their own devices. They'd need someone to convince them otherwise, kind of like sheep.
    Don't call people sheep. It's annoying and pathetic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think in gamming you will always have some invation, and some repetition, and is not bad. Good things are the things you want to repeat!. Its almost like science, they do experiments and we learn from them.
    Last edited by Tei; 23-12-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Don't call people sheep. It's annoying and pathetic.
    baaaa

10sheep

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Sheepsers gonna sheep.

But you don't have to play those 10 or more mediocre platformers, so why do they even matter?
    I just wanted to make a point that indie scene isn't a gold mine of great games, it's just a huge river with only small pieces of gold nuggets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm. Maybe a good point. But on the other hand, I don't totally buy this endlessly perpetuated idea that youth is innovative and age is conservative. Young people are often much more sheeplike than older people. They just think they are being innovative because they didn't experience the last 100 similar trends. As I've gotten older, my tastes in Gaming, Music, Movies, etc... have all become much more varied. (although I have also become jaded at times, and my free time / disposable income probably makes me a less desirable target market)