Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    http://sirisian.com/planetside2/population.php

That's a fairly interesting population monitor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Hmm, so at peak hours on miller VS are usually at least 100-150 players less than NC/TR and sometimes as much as ~400. That's just data for last three days though, but I suspect that is normal now.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wow yeah that is really telling.... just look at the big gap at primetime :/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    How2sundy:
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    just had another look at the population/server graphs. the latest update does seem to have brought back quite a few vanu. the gap's still there, but it's getting smaller.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    And we have been very close to capping indar two nights in a row this weekend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yeah, we're doing well, overall. It was a while since we had any continent lock though. At least that I have seen.

Network Hub
    Here's a copypasta of a guide I wrote for the most imba of imba weapons, the AV turret:

• First, identify your victims. Ideally you want a lot of stationary Sunderers and MBTs, so hunt round on the map for bases under heavy attack that seem to be putting up good resistance.

If you're feeling particularly full of yourself, go set up at a fight your empire isn't involved in. It's much more risky, but the benefit is that at least one side will always have its back to you. This is also great because by murdering the winning empire's tanks, you can prolong a fight for quite a while.

• Second, make an educated guess as to where the victims will be and what direction they'll be facing in five minute's time. This is often easy, because the answers are "still by this base/tower" and "facing in to/out of this base/tower".

• Now, pull up your map, take that position and facing and look behind it. Look for towers, look for Amp Station cupolas (or walls if you want to take a risk), look for Tech Plant balconies and legs, look for cliffs and spires and rock archways. If you've got a choice of good locations, pick one that isn't under a hostile flight path. If an ESF or Lib spots you, you are almost certainly dead. Similarly, try to stay away from ridges, because they frame you against the sky. Also keep in mind if what surfaces are directly behind you, because while it's damned hard for a tank to hit you straight on, it's rather easy for it to kill you with splash damage.

Ideally you want to be ~400m away from the targets - far enough that you don't render to the hostile zerg, but not so far away that the reload timer has finished while a missile is still in flight. Over 1km and you're going to be picking pixels out on screen; over 1km and tanks are likely not to render. Under ~150m, you'll probably be spotted by infantry. You also want to keep in mind that you can only angle your turret down ~40 degrees. This means setting up on a hostile Crown is often useless, because the defenders are all out of angle.

• Once you've picked your spot, kit out. If you're heading for a spot LA can reach, bring AP mines and a SMG or shotgun. Otherwise, AV mines for just in case and your trusty underbarrel grenade launcher.

Oh, and flak armour. But then anyone playing this game without flak armour is a masochist.

• If it's a base or tower with a very active fight, see if you can luck out and drop-pod into the spot. If it's not, invest in Ejection Seat for your ESF. Mark a waypoint on the map at your destination, fly into the beam at an upwards angle, eject, and try to deconstruct the ESF before it hits the ground.

If your ESF is still on timer because you died too soon, a Surger Flash w/ radar and some cliffwalking (if you run at 45 degrees to a vertical surface, you'll run along it without dropping) is the best you're going to do.

• Now set up your AV turret. Drop mines if needed. Drop a beacon if you can (though not where it's going to be a fucking signal fire for hostile ESFs).

Start picking off hostile armour. If you're in infantry render range, take out Sunderers first because once you start killing tanks their respawned owners will be looking for you. When the Sunderers are gone (4 hits), take out the MBTs (2 hits from behind). Then the Lightnings (2 hits from behind), then the MAXes (2 hits), then non-infiltrator infantry (1 direct hit), then infiltrators (because they can shoot back).

Oh, quick tip: sometimes an AA turret or other high-ROF weapon will be firing towards you, and you'll be taking damage, but none of the tracers connect. Yeah. With automatic weapons, the netcode doesn't send your client the position of every bullet - it just tells your client to display the appropriate animation, and tells you when a you've been hit. The ballistics are all kept on the firer's machine.

Anyway, make sure to launch your missiles off-axis so the smoke doesn't obscure your view, and on terminal approach pay attention to where the missile is rather than where the reticle is - you'll need to lead it in to moving targets. Left/right is usually a better launch direction than upwards, because when the missile is framed against the sky it's very hard to judge where it is in relation to the target.

Spot every target you launch at, because it's easier to aim at the base of red/blue/purple triangle than it is to aim a shadowy shape moving behind foliage.

• MOST IMPORTANT RULE: IF ANYONE SHOOTS AT YOU, MOVE. DO NOT TRY TO FINISH THE KILL. MOVE. Even if it's some idiot heavy full-autoing you from half a map away, the tracers will mark you out for people with bigger guns.

Go crouch where they can't see you, set up another turret (so that it tears down the one they can see) and then knife the new turret to death. The explosion will make plausible that someone else killed you, and if you stay hidden they should lose interest. Now, if possible, set up in a new location, the further away the better. If you know who it was that was attacking you, do your best to leave them 'till last (unless you can one-shot them): every other target available doesn't know where the hell you might be.

Note that people often jump out of tanks when they're on the verge of dying. These people are often pretty pissed, so if you don't get as many kill messages as you expect, make finishing the crew off a priority.

• If an ESF comes looking for you, fucking move. Don't try to land a hit on it: it'll take at least two, and you don't have a hope of surviving. Run behind cover if it's available, or cliffwalk down a sheer face. If neither are possible, try to run underneath it and make it stall. You will almost certainly die anyway, but it's worth a try.

One very risky action you can take if they look like they're stopping to hover is to hit them with an AV missile and then follow up with an exquisitely placed underbarrel grenade and some bullets. Good fucking luck with that though.

(Oh, fun fact: small arms fire hurts aircraft. Not enough people know this, but if they did ESFs wouldn't be half as annoying as they are now)

For the same reasons, do -not- launch if you suspect a Lib is looking your way. Just stay quiet and still and cross your fingers.

• If a tank or Sunderer you're attacking is being repaired, aim for the engineer if you can. If a lot of people start to repair it, either pick them all off or pick an easier target. If it's a particularly slow repair and the target is stationary, launch as fast as you can: if you launch a second missile while the first is in flight, both will follow the reticle (guiding them both in is a right pain though, which is why you want the target to be stationary)

• Hypothetical: If a tank is showing his side armour and you're feeling lucky, launch your missiles to the extreme left/right (whichever is "behind" the tank). Let them head out in that direction for ~half the distance to the target, then rag them back in towards the target. I could swear I've been able to score rear hits this way that I really shouldn't have, but I've also seen claims this isn't possible, and that the game only cares about where you're standing in relation to the target.

I suspect most people who try this don't let it fly out far enough, so don't get the angle and think it doesn't work.
    • When trying to hit targets behind cover, keep in mind that if you aim at terrain that's closer to you than the missile is, the missile will lose guidance and just carry on in a straight line.

This is particularly noticeable if the hitbox of the terrain near you doesn't line up with the textures, because you'll be aiming at a just-visible tank and your missile won't go anywhere near it. There's a nice spot north of Zurvan that suffers particularly badly from this.
    • MANA turrets: launch upwards for a second or two, then bring it screaming down, aiming at the ground juuuust in front of the turret. It'll dodge the shield and one-shot the owner.
    • Don't worry too much about lock-on missiles. In their current incarnation buggy, missiles launched from below will just run into the ground in front of you.
    • If you see anyone else doing this, go after them first because they're almost certainly an extreme menace.
    • This weapon is ridiculous and will almost certainly get a range cap added soon. It will still be awesome, just not quite as awesome as it is now.
    Last edited by cfftble; 18-03-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Network Hub
    Oh, and another thing I forgot: at a sufficient distance from a base, many shields stop rendering. Zurvan is particularly notable for this. There aren't many weapons that can take advantage of it, but the AV turret is one of them

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    For those of you with shitty Internet this is handy when patches are prone to roll out:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...anetside_2_to/
    Find me on the Steams

Activated Node
    A little something I discovered a couple of days ago while defending a bio lab. If you're a light assault you can use your jet pack to interrupt jump pad jumps and get to all sorts of interesting places very quickly, bypassing any enemy defences on the ground and appearing somewhere unexpected (by all sorts of places I basically mean on the roof of generator/control point buildings).

Very situational but I thought it was nice.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah jetpack + bouncepads are very very nice especially if you use the grenadelauncher/c4 since you can get massive air and kill campers and then just land on the return pad to go restock.

Hey'! this is something we should try sometime! Get a bunch of LAs together with grenade launchers. Maybe on with smoke too. Have an engie put an ammo pack on the jump-off point. Hop over all at once, float off at slightly different angles, raining down mayhem on any campers, maybe send in the smoke-dude first, to confuse people. Then quickly back to the jump-off point to resupply from the ammo pack. Rinse and repeat.

Should make short work of any burster MAXes or other nasty buggers that like to hang around on the landing pads. Could work at Scarred Mesa too, perhaps?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sneaky galdrops into Techplants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jmVvDK0MXc

Oooh, thjat we must try sometime!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    Sneaky galdrops into Techplants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jmVvDK0MXc
    Gonna use this next time I'm flying -> Tech plant.

I had no idea those balconies even existed...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Gonna use this next time I'm flying -> Tech plant.

I had no idea those balconies even existed...
    The balcony/doors were added when they moved the SCU Shield generator. They are very good defensive positions on Eisa for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Holy shit, I did not know that. We have to drop at least a squad there from now on.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Heh think I have told you guys about those balconies ingame a couple of times but I had no idea you could drop people on them like that.

Holy shit that's awesome.