Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Indeed, this goes the other way always blow up empty flashes especially if you can see the radar-addon (small grey/black) disk behind the seat.

Ever since I got the 50m radar certed for my Flash, I've made a point of blowing the things up every time.

Network Hub
    I'm with Laldy, never leave an apparently abandoned non-VS Flash intact if you can spare the time.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I tend to ignore unattended flasheseses, waste of ammo. Also I've used them, and engie turrets, as a primitive early warning system before. I didn't realise the radar went so far though, will have to start blowing them up more.

The early warning thing can be quite handy for an engineer. Plonk a turret down indoors somewhere behind you, and if it starts taking damage, someone has just lost the element of surprise.
    Except that the engineer turret does not give you an HP update when you're not manning it. Luckily the sounds of gunfire or the explosion can give you some warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    Except that the engineer turret does not give you an HP update when you're not manning it. Luckily the sounds of gunfire or the explosion can give you some warning.
    That's why I always knife them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    That's why I always knife them.
    And it's also faster. 4 knife hits to kill an Engi Turret.

Obscure Node
    Lessons learned from being a member of one the more infamous large outfits for quite a while
    (aka a crash course on how to win, at the expense of your soul)
    (Note also this is focused around infantry playstyles. Our outfit has learned that, in the game's current state, bringing excessive armor into the fray actually slows us down, and adds too much complication. We follow a strict K.I.S.S. doctrine. However, I have zero Vanu experience, and I know the Magrider is a game-changer in how a group operates.)

First and foremost, I haven't played in a few weeks, and things are constantly changed by the devs, so I apologize if something in here is no longer viable. This is also really just me throwing a bunch of random stuff out in layman's terms out there as it occurs to me. It'll be missing a LOT and will jump around. I just hope to bestow hopefully one or two good chunks of learning to a player that is inexperienced to the game. My personal experiences are not that of legendary skill, so I would always recommend you scour the PS2 forums for a plethora of in-depth information by super knowledgeable players.

Disclaimer: The mega-large outfit I'm in, if you know which I'm talking about, is widely hated, and sometimes hated/respected. I'm definitely not here to bring attention to them, nor start a flame war. The PS2 community is known for its drama and inter-player spats. I do not participate in this whatsoever, I merely enjoy the game. As much as I stay away from those shenanigans, I have noticed that this outfit wins a lot, though obviously not always. But again, I'm just attempting to relay what I've learned in my time since beta with them, and not any opinions on them. I give a STRONG allegiance to neutrality. Also, these tactics obviously refer to a group that's somewhat large, usually at least 1 full platoon ideally.

Basic group tactics
    *Leadership leadership leadership, communication communication communication!!!
    *I've noticed a strong player making sound decisions for the flow of the group makes or breaks taking a region. Especially important is someone who fully understands the capture mechanics of the game, and can allocate resources accordingly. By default, each squad is responsible for a point. If a squad is overrun, they can relay to command and have additional manpower sent. The meta-game relies much less on individual player skill, and a whole lot on group tactics. Also noteworthy is this is not a war simulation, so tactics should adapt to the game, and not to replicate realism
    *Our basic squad consists solely of heavy infantry, with a few support medics and engineers to provide healing and ammunition. When armor is encountered, having a full squad of rocket launchers does absolute wonders. Light assault and infil are unused, except for an infil caveat which I'll cover.
    *AA MAX's and AI MAX's are usually pulled as needed, at the squad-leader's discretion.
    *Squad integrity is wildly important, and the group wins over the individual. If you're trying to take a point, having one guy run off to score that kill for a few exp could ruin the entire situation.
    *ZERGING: Call it what you want, and my outfit will deny this word describes what they do, but zerging works. Having a crapload of one particular type of weapon/vehicle that's appropriate to the situation WORKS. Some examples:
    Sundy hunting; Have everyone pull Mosquitos/rockets and converge en masse to the location. You'll kill it.
    Inf farming: Have people pull tanks/HE and annihilate every little guy that mindlessly runs towards you.
    AA: You've probably seen an AA MAX zerg plenty of times by now. It works. The best way to stay in the battle and still run area-denial for aircraft is by assigning a single squad to all AA, and having them cover the rest. The MAX has been the most efficient AA device, though anti-air rockets en masse can be effective. The Lightning AA gun is never used by us.

Group communication
    *Communication is setup in our outfit to handle extremely large (min 3+ platoons) ops, while maintaining the simple factor.
    Each squad has a channel. Each squad leader, platoon leader, and commander has a secondary 'command net' for outfit-wide comms, that is bound to a different button (hint: For multi-button mouse users such as myself, it's super easy to have one button for "squad" channel, and one for "command", as opposed to keyboard hotkeys).
    *In large ops, though this should always just be a general rule for any VOIP whatsoever, PTT is golden. No one wants to hear your mouth-breather noises or rage screams.
    *Communication is where everyone NEEDS to be on the same page in whatever procedures you lay out.
    *Every person talking on command net should identify who they are (ie: Squad 1 Leader) and who they're contacting.
    *Using plain-text is the easiest method of talking, and adding in fluff codewords or the enormously ridiculed "GLOBAL!!!!" do not add any functionality.

Individual tactics
    *There are no real "bad" weapons in the game, for the most part. However, finding that perfect balance of base stats and attachments can make a wild difference in your k/d's. I haven't played in a few weeks, but MAKE SURE you stay aware of the nerfs/buffs as they occur by the devs. For instance, my go-to death machine was the Carv-S with foregrip and compensator. After being nerfed, I had to change weapons to continue being efficient.
    MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH ATTACHMENT STATISTICS. THIS IS VITAL. For instance (unless this has changed, which I doubt): An 8x scope is not a good idea for your LMG, as it actually ADDS ARTIFICIAL SPREAD. It is highly recommended you use the 2x red dot sight, as this adds zero artificial spread.
    *COVER. This is not the original PS. There are less CQB fights, and less places to hide. Much of the map is open, ripe for snipers to sit around and pick you off. Finding and utilizing cover is ESSENTIAL if you want to survive.
    *While each faction is supposed to be unique, they are not special snowflakes. Sorry. It's one of my biggest complaints of the game (especially the shared vehicles). That said, weapons for the most part do best with bursts of fire. Having an understanding of the spread mechanics makes for optimal point-target accuracy. Vanu, on the other hand, I'm sure have a different approach with the lack of recoil thing. Sorry I can't help on that. For the most part, I utilize full-auto in super-close, burst in mid-range, and semi in long range.
    *To survive: teamplay. There is no individual. You may be able to get a decent life by staying LA and constantly move, or be a hated sniper, but you're missing out on the game. It revolves around teamwork. You can complain that this game supports no lone-wolf playstyle, but that's the point. You literally depend on the players around you to remain alive. Embrace this! It's fun once you get into it, especially if you find people you enjoy and work well with.

Basic game philosophies
    *This game currently revolves around the AMS. You need to protect yours while destroying theirs. There is no aspect more important than this.
    *As stated, this entire tidbit focuses on infantry-centric gameplay. Infantry, much like real-life, are the backbone of this game. You can literally NEVER pull an aircraft or a tank, and still capture an entire map. Sounds ridiculous, but it's done. Often. Everything else is just support for infantry.
    *Moving infantry can be done many ways. The most efficient is via Galaxy, but Sundy trains are fun.
    *As I've mentioned, and still cannot stress enough, pay attention to what the devs do, and learn the stats of weapons. You'll find that certain guns, and vehicle-mounted weapons are not as effective as they are cool. At first you'll think you spent your hard-earned certs on a kickass death dealer, but eventually you'll come to see it was a waste. A prime example is the AI "mortar" for the Sundy. It 'splodes big and looks cool, but it just doesn't work well enough, and there aren't enough situations where it's viable over something more general-purpose anyway. Remember that the "side-grade" religion followed by F2P has a tendency to create many weapons that are only decent in particular circumstances.
    *The game places what I feel to be too much emphasis on farming. That said, make sure your the farmer and not the crops. There are many extremely difficult chokepoints (CROWWWWNNNNNNFIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!) that will basically equate you as someone else's cert points and not an opponent. Don't be afraid to pull out of these situations and probe for a different area to attack that you'll have more luck with. You'll get sick of the game quick if you pull the newbie mistake of just contributing to the meat-grinder and then wondering why you die so much.
    *The numbers game: The basics of PS2 allow for superior numbers in a coordinated group to usually win. Like it or not, that's how it works. Gone are the days of a few people holding off a horde at a facility. The quicker you understand this, the better. Start doing everything on a grand scale. Want to roll some tanks? Have everyone roll tanks. Want to take out some enemy air? Throw 30 craft firing air-to-air missiles at them.

Random advanced tactics
    *" Air Assault Beachhead": My outfit does do one thing awesomely: quick response ops. How do you take a hostile region quickly? Believe it or not, Galaxies are still a very effective tool when used correctly, even after the spawn change to Sundy (you did have every member of the group cert in AMS right?). Firstly, ensure each squad has an Infiltrator (here's that caveat). Pull a Gal per squad and airdrop on a location. Upon securing the area, have your Infil capture a vehicle terminal. Then, pull an AMS from there. The Infil will change back to his regular class. Deploy AMS. You just secured an area on the front, didn't have to risk driving an AMS there, and can now effectively capture the area.
    *Sundy train: A convoy of Sunderers can move a large number of people very well, with some basic firepower. If the all the gunners in the group communicate and concentrate their fire, it can actually be decently lethal while on the move.
    *AMS killing tactics: The ever-popular Mosquito/ground missile zerg is always effective. However, another useful idea for ground troops for a located Sundy is approaching and tossing AV mines under it. If all else fails, there's always drop-pods. They hurt.
    *Instant Action: If instant action is never used by the individual and is saved for group command, it can be an effective quick-response tool, in many different situations. A great example is if you are attempting to take a facility, you're down to a single AMS and getting farmed, and have no way to get around to effectively fight. You can /suicide everyone and have them all IA in on the same point. You just bypassed the farm screen and now are all within the facility to fight. Also, dozens of drop-pods raining down looks fucking wicked. Remember also that drop-pods can be used as weapons..
    *Gal drops in general: It's the staple past-time of Planetside, and usually the most remembered aspect. Gal drops are still effective, but like everything else now, they're effective when utilized in the correct situations. For the most part, try to make sure everyone's on the same page so they all land in a small area and aren't spread all over the place. Usually the pilot can bail as well, unless you REALLY need to get up and go somewhere else as soon as you cap.
    *In-game voice: Beware. Most hardcore players have this turned off, so they don't hear the raging 12 year olds and scrubs. I have mine on, but I occasionally get sick of listening to everyone. Usually the mood of my day is set by the quality of music being played over local voice by someone in the warp-gate.

Okay, I'm getting sick of writing and don't have much free time. Hopefully you got *something* out of this. I'll add plenty more when I get back into playing and have some more time to spare. I know that most of this is not highly educated nor super technical, but it's all personal observations and opinions, and it definitely works for me. I've had a highly successful time thus far in the game, to the point where I've stopped playing now as I'm literally getting bored of steamrolling through maps with my outfit. I'll probably have much less burnout when they add to the meta-game, and I'm sure I'll be retained by PS2 for many years to come.
    If you're new and looking to get into the game, I cannot stress enough the need to find a good group. I haven't played with any RPS guys, but I'm sure that this is a wonderful place to start, as there's so many friendly people here they'd be happy to teach you the ropes. Be aware that you ARE given the tools to play this game entirely for free. It won't be glamorous, and many outfits have things that you are required to cert in, but you can theoretically use the base weapons and vehicle setups throughout the game. The only thing I'd say that's absolutely vital to independent operation is a member of the group having an AMS.
    PS2 has changed considerably from its predecessor, for better or worse. While many major functions have been redesigned or altered to appeal to a mass audience or allow for easier first-time play, there are still some parts that can be complicated to newcomers. Chief among these are simply finding the right place to fight, and the capture mechanics. Again, joining an experienced group will fix both of these.
    The best advice I can give besides that is be patient, in both gameplay and learning curve. The game may have BF-esque class based combat, but don't rush into battle like in those types of shooters. Spend your infant days trying to figure out how to survive as long as possible. Keep things enjoyable by first worrying about the little stuff, like getting some small arms kills. As you get more experienced, start experimenting with doing some air-to-air dogfights or some of the other advanced stuff. If you just jump right into everything, you're going to die quick and get frustrated. If you ever need help or would like an actual organized response from me, feel free to PM! Enjoy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    And it's also faster. 4 knife hits to kill an Engi Turret.
    I think it's 3 actually, but details. It was really annoying to almost kill your sundy 3 or 4 times.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    I think it's 3 actually, but details. It was really annoying to almost kill your sundy 3 or 4 times.
    All part of a friendly rivalry. I should have figured you'd have known that backdoor. I think I took down one of your sundies as well. And I think we've killed eachother a couple of times tonight.

I think I got a few RTRS sundies as well, and a Lightning. All with mines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    In case you missed it, here is Command Center Episode X:
    http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/367411503
    EDIT: starts at around 2 minutes in.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Fuck yes!!!!! REVOLVER!!!!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    15:35 if you just want the gun show. Is nice.

This thread on Reddit/r/Planetside made we smile:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c..._small/c8hcl81

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Did somebody just release that huge BRTD player post from moderation, or did we all just ignore it before?
    Last edited by CMaster; 19-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    looks more like enclave than brtd, actually. some good points though.

Certainly a number of good points, yes. Was this a cross-post from some other place?

Definitely Enclave, and indeed, some very good points.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Enclave yeah, and Frosty is american according to his post in Introduce yourself. Was this a post just for us..? Thanks if so. Very thoughtful.

Feel like I already know that though, and I still have no intention of ever running ops/nights like The Enclave. 90% heavies and 10% medics and engineers? No thanks.. Not very fun. I much prefer a less effective but more diverse approach. I also don't think that tactic is as viable for us as we're rarely more then 40.

The things we really could stand to learn from is their quick response and to constantly employ the galdrop > hack > sundy approach (we do that quite frequently but sometimes forget to bring infs).

Good point about the Bulldog on the sunderer as well, been meaning to ditch it for just basilisks or something. They kill tanks fine. Bulldogs are fucking hard to hit with, furys seem better for that purpose. Maybe one fury one basilisk? AI/AV.
    Find me on the Steams