Thread: Ludum Dare 25

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Ludum Dare 25

So, it's over.
    I made something for it, and now it's there for the world to see, in it's half-completeed mess.

So, anybody else do it and want to pimp their work?

More interestingly, anyone found any gems in the huge collection yet?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Nice! It's the beginnings of a pretty fun Orcs Must Die sort of game. I like the shield guys especially, whose job is to be slowly pushed backwards until they die. =P I was kind of dropping guys in the final chokepoint without much idea what I was doing, and I think I eventually hit critical mass when I got about 10 archers (it was touch and go for a while, though!). I also enjoyed how all of your enemies were called "Heroic _____" =P

I'm suitably impressed with how much of a mobile-tower defense game you were able to create in the time allotted.

Hadn't realized Ludum Dare 25 was even happening right now; I may need to have a look-see, but I always intend to do that and it's always too overwhelming to even start. =P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, ~900 entries gets a bit nuts. I'm just going through some of the "least rated" at the moment, to give them some ratings.

You also see the results of my lack of time to really playtest. I knew it was likely that gold rate/enemy rate and defender types weren't really balanced. On the other hand, archer/crossbow spam (and xbow is definitely the strongest unit) often backfires, because they start shooting each other in the back (also on the to do list was a simple bit of FF checking to reduce this). I suspect though after the buff I gave them just before launch, spearman spam is the most efficent solution.

Ultimatley what I wanted to do was have a process where you actually tax the individual villages, and the harder you squeeze them the more rebels you get. Failing that, at least an increasing rate of enemies would have been a good improvement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    On the other hand, archer/crossbow spam (and xbow is definitely the strongest unit) often backfires, because they start shooting each other in the back
    Ha! I was zoomed out to far to notice that when I played. That does make things more interesting (and explain some mysterious deaths :P)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Obscure Node
    I participated for the first time, my entry:
    http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum...view&uid=19121
    You perform 'villainous' deeds on a randomly generated train. My wife is the voice of the trian.

Only rated about 25 or so other entries so far, I intent to go back and do another 20 or so each night.

My favourites so far were one where you were a kracken and could sink boats and a god game where you could do mean things to little 3d people. Unfortunately I can't link them as I'm at work now and bookmarked them at home.

Anyway, always impressive to see so many people make so many things.

Ps: first post on forums, hello all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some of the picks from what I have reviewed so far:

Dragon Wrath Impressive dragon simulator, let down by an upgrade system that has you start out pretty useless.

The Death Ray Run around your villain base, carrying out villanious tasks. Let down by being mad hard.

Anta Gogen. Imagine if infectionator was tactical, 3d and didn't have a grindy-as-hell upgrade system. Then you've got something almst as good as Anta Gogen (although without the awful slow scrolling). Best I've seen so far, shame it hasn't got more attention.