Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Real Texas

The Real Texas

There is not much discussion about this game, which is a shame. If you like a unique experience, then get it. If you like exploration, silly humour and adventures, then get it. It's not an RPG for me, more an action adventure.
    The music reminds me of Earthbound and in general of Zelda or a bit of Ultima or other games. :) It's all nicely mixed.
    You often have to think on how to do things, there is nearly no hand holding in the game. Some game mechanics are explainded and some not and you have to find out for yourself. I played it for 10 hours or so and still not finished it.
    Sometimes it's a bit rough around the edges, but the author is very responsive and has already released two updates.

At the moment it's still available (PC, MAC, LINUX) for $7.95 at http://therealtexasgame.com

Activated Node
    I'm a little bummed out by the lack of talk about this game, too. I think a WIT was hinted at when it was released and I definitely hope that happens as this game deserves some more attention. I registered here because I googled the game looking for reviews and this is one of the few things that popped up.

I've played for a few hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. The dialogue is really charming without being over-the-top precious and I really like the shooting mechanic, too.

Quote Originally Posted by benexclaimed View Post
    I'm a little bummed out by the lack of talk about this game, too. I think a WIT was hinted at when it was released and I definitely hope that happens as this game deserves some more attention. I registered here because I googled the game looking for reviews and this is one of the few things that popped up.

I've played for a few hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. The dialogue is really charming without being over-the-top precious and I really like the shooting mechanic, too.
    I think part of the lack of talk is that it takes a while to get through - there are a lot of places I got stuck.

FWIW, I am about to start writing a review would should appear on Nightmare Mode this weekend.

I'm still NNGFAY, but The Real Texas is on the short list of games to buy afterwards. It looks absolutely charming and delightful. Are there really no reviews/WITs out there at all?
    Last edited by SMiD; 26-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    I think part of the lack of talk is that it takes a while to get through - there are a lot of places I got stuck.
    That could be right. It's easy to get stuck, because there is no hand holding. Often you just got a vague direction and what to do and that's it. I like that. :)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    I'm still NNGFAY, but The Real Texas is one the short list of games to buy afterwards. It looks absolutely charming and delightful. Are there really no reviews/WITs out there at all?
    I saw one review on YouTube that had a guy doing some silly gimmick voice and I couldn't get through more than ten seconds of it. Nothing else that I could find.

I saw one review on YouTube that had a guy doing some silly gimmick voice and I couldn't get through more than ten seconds of it. Nothing else that I could find.
    That voice is nowhere within the game from what I know. In fact, I don't think there are any voiceovers.

The actual game is really well done and can be played with keyboard and mouse or entirely by mouse, both of which are viable options.

Quite a few little details surprised me in a good way so far. Even little things like [very minor spoiler]having to remember to take your credit card out of the ATM[/very minor spoiler] were welcome nuances to me.

EDIT: Oh, and the dev is a pretty cool guy too. He's working hard to fix whatever bugs exist, so much to the point that if your save gets broken or corrupted somehow, you can send it to him and he'll fix it.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    That voice is nowhere within the game from what I know. In fact, I don't think there are any voiceovers.

The actual game is really well done and can be played with keyboard and mouse or entirely by mouse, both of which are viable options.

Quite a few little details surprised me in a good way so far. Even little things like [very minor spoiler]having to remember to take your credit card out of the ATM[/very minor spoiler] were welcome nuances to me.

EDIT: Oh, and the dev is a pretty cool guy too. He's working hard to fix whatever bugs exist, so much to the point that if your save gets broken or corrupted somehow, you can send it to him and he'll fix it.
    No, I'm talking about a video review I saw on YouTube. The reviewer was doing a silly gimmick and it was horrible. I actually really liked the voiceover in the trailer for the game.

It's a charmingly odd little game so far, despite having to take a break a few times when it's being a touch obtuse. The only major problem I've come across is that you can get effectively stun-locked by certain enemies due to the animation you randomly perform when wounded.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaffles View Post
    It's a charmingly odd little game so far, despite having to take a break a few times when it's being a touch obtuse. The only major problem I've come across is that you can get effectively stun-locked by certain enemies due to the animation you randomly perform when wounded.
    Yeah, that's rough. Sometimes even one or two low level enemies (those little lizards, for instance) can kill you because of this.

Yeah, that's rough. Sometimes even one or two low level enemies (those little lizards, for instance) can kill you because of this.
    I learned in TRT that running away is often better than fighting. :)

Still playing. :) I love the small details in this game, like the cave collaps when you throw dynamite while in a cave.
    Last edited by sk2k; 01-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
    Still playing. :) I love the small details in this game, like the cave collaps when you throw dynamite while in a cave or firing.
    I loved that too! And then forgot about it, and was reminded when I died a second time after trying to pull that trick.

Review is up tomorrow. Not my best work but damn it's a hard game to review...all the best parts are experienced best when you don't know they're coming.

Oho! A review for The Real Texas popped up over on Destructoid. (Linkage) A very positive review indeed.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Oho! A review for The Real Texas popped up over on Destructoid. (Linkage) A very positive review indeed.
    They beat me to press by 2 hours! That's what I get for going and seeing Moonrise Kingdom.

http://nightmaremode.net/2012/07/rev...l-texas-20666/

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Look what you bastards went and made me do. I don't know if I love it yet, but I kind of loved buying it after watching the trailer (the voiceover was compelling).

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    They beat me to press by 2 hours! That's what I get for going and seeing Moonrise Kingdom.

http://nightmaremode.net/2012/07/rev...l-texas-20666/
    Thank you for your review.
    Your view on the combat is exactly my view. It's the most irritating part in the game.

Activated Node
    I haven't been able to finish this since I had to send my graphics card in for repair a couple of weeks ago, but I do want to mention that I really enjoy the combat. I think the injury system (or whatever you might want to call it) could use some tweaking, but the feel of unholstering your gun and shooting really works for me. I like it a lot.

Just came across this game on GOG thanks to the holiday sale. It's a part of an indie game bundle along with Inquisitor, Torchlight, Geneforge 1-5, and Legend of Grimrock. I already own Torchlight and Grimrock so I just bought it separately. I'm surprised by the lack of coverage, it seems to be pretty neat so far.

edit: The bundle deal is over but the game is still worth buying.
    Last edited by elfbarf; 15-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Don't forget you can vote for it on Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92933186
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"