Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The I can't wait for the Steam sale thread

The Steam xmas sale is quickly becoming a holiday tradition for me that is right up there with eggnog and Christmas ham, although I drink white russians while pretending they're eggnog and make a turkey, not ham. But anyway, Steam XMAS sale! According to this report (http://www.slashgear.com/steam-autum...-out-20257829/), it should be starting this Thursday.

There were so many great games this year I'm sure there are quite a few I've forgotten about, so I'm wondering what people are planning on picking up this sale.

Also, if you feel like sharing, what games did you buy and enjoy from previous sales that you wouldn't have except for the fact they were dirt cheap?

I'll be keeping my eye out for

XCOM
    Sine Mora
    Orcs Must Die 2
    FTL
    Torchlight 2
    Fallen Enchantress (must be a pretty good deal)

Last year I picked up E.Y.E for $1.99, I don't think I would have ever gotten this game otherwise. A little quirky but I really enjoyed it overall. Also Jamestown I picked up because it had an achievement for those prizes they were giving out. Great little shoot 'em up that I ended up having a lot of fun with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    It's my intention (we'll see how successful it is) to restrict myself to DLC/expansions for games I already have. The last thing on Earth I need is to add to my unplayed games list, a little self-control is called for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    XCOM - lowest UK price 12.99
    Sine Mora - has been 2-odd in 2 sales at least
    Orcs Must Die 2 - 3 in the last Steam sale (4-odd with it's DLCs)
    FTL - has been half-price in several sales
    Torchlight 2 - ditto
    Fallen Enchantress (must be a pretty good deal) - the only game here which hasn't already been discounted.

So you're waiting for them to be 10p each then? :)

Me?

Dishonoured, NFS: MW and Dark Souls IF they're under 10 - otherwise I'm backlogged...

Last year I picked up E.Y.E for $1.99, I don't think I would have ever gotten this game otherwise. A little quirky but I really enjoyed it overall. Also Jamestown I picked up because it had an achievement for those prizes they were giving out. Great little shoot 'em up that I ended up having a lot of fun with.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    It's my intention (we'll see how successful it is) to restrict myself to DLC/expansions for games I already have. The last thing on Earth I need is to add to my unplayed games list, a little self-control is called for.
    Ditto. I need to keep telling myself that these sales are going to keep coming around and any game I might consider getting is only going to get cheaper.

Honestly, I do want to see what's on sale but I'm not very interested in anything right now.
    Dishonoured is it's cheap and.... nothing else I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    Ditto. I need to keep telling myself that these sales are going to keep coming around and any game I might consider getting is only going to get cheaper.
    Exactly. Sales are functionally continuous these days, anything on sale now will be on sale cheaper later. Unless you're going to play it right now, there's no reason to buy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Exactly. Sales are functionally continuous these days, anything on sale now will be on sale cheaper later. Unless you're going to play it right now, there's no reason to buy it.
    I will mostly agree with that with the added clause of: So long as you have a backlog/set of alternative games.

Truly living "sale to sale" isn't necessarily smart because it might result in you having "nothing to play".

But once you have a small backlog/set of alternates, you definitely want to be damned sure that whatever you buy is something you are playing NOW or that you don't mind treating as money to throw away.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Yes, that's the best way to look at it
    'Will I play this before the next sale?'

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    GTA IV bundle. Otherwise nothing, because I have all games apparently looking at my Library.

Activated Node
    Traded in the rest of my PS3 games today for some Steam credit so I'm well stocked for the sales.

Keeping an eye out for:
    Torchlight 2
    Hitman Absolution
    Skyrim
    Civ V Gods and Kings
    Dark Souls
    Some sort of Total War Pack
    Miasmata

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think there's going to be too much this year to interest me. When it comes to games nowadays, I either pay full price if the game is something I simply cannot wait another day for (Skyrim), or $10 or less. I've also got a massive backlog as it is, and will be a dad in 3 months time. The only game I am thinking about getting is Alice for $5.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lego Lord of the Rings plox.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I picked up quite a bit in the Summer Sale and have been slowly playing through most of these games. I've been shelving new games on the Steam wishlist, which has so far grown to include mostly 30+ games like Dishonored, Far Cry 3, NFS Shift 2 and Endless Space. That's about it, unless something new comes up that looks genuinely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I've also got a massive backlog as it is, and will be a dad in 3 months time.
    Congratulations & best wishes!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Like the fall sale for the 1st time, I will likely pass on any purchase over this sale.

Big backlog, playing mostly online games and spend on stuff for the home over Black Friday.

I did buy Defender's quest during the daily deal yesterday, but its not a holiday sale yet. :)

I might pick up a few GoG.com daily deals.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I can't decide if it's that all the games I'm most interested in (for example, Anno 14XX / Dawn of Discovery) are coincidentally not buyable on Steam,
    or if it's just that any interesting game that *is* on Steam already belongs (er, is licensed) to me. =P

I put a lot of GoG games on my Christmas list (King of Dragon Pass), but in some distant far future where I have nothing to play, my next buy will hopefully be something direct from MoaCube.

Of course that's all a silly fantasy. The reality of my situation is that I am going to keep besieging (and losing) the same castles in Mount & Blade Warband until the end of days.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I'm with you. I have big games from last year's Christmas sale I haven't even touched yet (hello Shogun 2, Mass Effect 2, it goes on) and my backlog just grew more shameful in size as this year went on. I got through the Thanksgiving sale buying only a couple of bits of CK2 DLC, I picked up Chivalry for a fiver from GMG last week and I've vowed those are the last things I buy this year. All that oh-so-tempting new stuff on my wish list can wait until well into 2013 after I spent some time catching up with the rest.

It took this year to get impulse buying out of my system but I think I might be over it, finally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Congratulations & best wishes!
    Thank you!
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

I'm not buying anything on this one.

I got the game I most wanted to buy from the sales (Skyrim) for a cheap price some weeks back and I've recently come to acquire a small backlog of both new games (from bundles and other sales) and old ones I want to replay, so for the first time ever I don't actually really have a yearning for anything in particular from the Steam sale. I'll most likely just focus on DLC this year, with perhaps a smaller game or two added to my library if a good offer comes by.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

I pretty much own everything already so I'm hoping for some meta-sale-game to motivate me to play stuff I wouldn't bother trying otherwise :E
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.