Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I might have said AssCreed 3, but people seem kind of down on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I might have said AssCreed 3, but people seem kind of down on it.
    I've been playing it on the PS3 for the past few days. The intro is VERY long (too long, if you ask me), but it is a very story-heavy intro. But I can also see why people would abandon it pretty quick after that.

Also, the new streamlined interface is useful at times, but also results in very strange behavior. For example: You hold R1 to freerun. But you won't jump if you are just holding R1 (to resolve the problems of Ezio and Altair jumping to their deaths at random). The problem is: Sometimes the gap between buildings is small enough for normal free-running, but sometimes you have to manually hit jump. And that isn't always clear.

But so far, I am definitely enjoying it. Even if Connor is even more robotic than Altair ever was.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I'll probably buy Dishonoured and Far Cry 3 if they drop really cheap (more likely to wait till next sale though as I've got other stuff to play first).

On the indie front might pick up either/both of Thomas Was Alone and Little Inferno if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Lego Lord of the Rings plox.
    Mmmhmm. Wouldn't mind grabbing Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars as well if it's 50% or more. Other than that, just a lot of indie games that are already really cheap that I hope to grab for even cheaper. Maybe Borderlands 2, but I doubt it. Gotta save some money for CoH2 since I'll want to grab that on release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    The intro is VERY long (too long, if you ask me), but it is a very story-heavy intro. But I can also see why people would abandon it pretty quick after that.
    Yep, that's one of the basic Things I Can Not Abide. I know that if I pick it up, I'll be gritting my teeth angrily instead of having fun.

Side note: I, at one point, really liked Zelda games. So, you know I know the ever-unchanging formula by now. The hours-long length of the tutorial section in the newest iteration was enough to make me hate Zelda games and never want to play one again.

There are so many sales right now - on GMG, GG, GOG, Amazon and even regional stores - that I'm looking forward to the Steam sale only to see if they can beat the competition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Yep, that's one of the basic Things I Can Not Abide. I know that if I pick it up, I'll be gritting my teeth angrily instead of having fun.

Side note: I, at one point, really liked Zelda games. So, you know I know the ever-unchanging formula by now. The hours-long length of the tutorial section in the newest iteration was enough to make me hate Zelda games and never want to play one again.
    To be fair, it isn't really a tutorial. It is just a long sequence of nothing but story-missions. It just tends to grate, especially because you clearly have access to the armory LONG before you actually can change gear in said armory.

Honestly, if they just would have used a gimmick to close off most of the Manor and I hadn't read the previews I would probably have enjoyed it. But as it stood, I just realy wanted to play as the guy who is robotic as crap.

Spoiler:
    At least the British guy was fun since I kept saying a really long "Yes" like the Its Always Sunny episode set in colonial times.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Far Cry 3 and that's about it for now. There isn't much else I'm interested in playing I haven't already this year.

GFWL killed my interest in Dark Souls and that's the only thing other than FC I'd like to pick up.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    Ditto. I need to keep telling myself that these sales are going to keep coming around and any game I might consider getting is only going to get cheaper.
    Yes and no.

The sales on Steam aren't as good now as they were a few years ago. It's rare for anything to be discounted below 75%, whereas I remember 90%-off deals not being uncommon. And while the big games generally get cheaper and always go on sale, some of the older obscure stuff doesn't seem to be going on sale any more. I remember picking up Children Of The Nile for 50p at one point, for example, whereas it wasn't in the Thanksgiving sale at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also, the new streamlined interface is useful at times, but also results in very strange behavior. For example: You hold R1 to freerun. But you won't jump if you are just holding R1 (to resolve the problems of Ezio and Altair jumping to their deaths at random). The problem is: Sometimes the gap between buildings is small enough for normal free-running, but sometimes you have to manually hit jump. And that isn't always clear.
    Hmm, so far I've found that if he doesn't jump automatically, manually jumping means falling to your death. You do have to manually jump to jump down somewhere though.

I didn't mind the intro, I do suggest people go for all the optional objectives though, at least on those missions. That way there's some semblance of challenge. The new restart checkpoint option makes it really easy to give them another go when you mess up. I do think ignoring them, at least in the first half of the game, is effectively playing on easy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Exactly. Sales are functionally continuous these days, anything on sale now will be on sale cheaper later. Unless you're going to play it right now, there's no reason to buy it.
    I see your point, but most sales are much smaller scoped and I really don't keep up with the week to week stuff I *know* almost everything I want will pop up for pretty darn cheap over Christmas. Plus there are several months of cold dreariness ahead during which I find more time for gaming than usual, so I look at it as a way to stock up on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I pretty much own everything already so I'm hoping for some meta-sale-game to motivate me to play stuff I wouldn't bother trying otherwise :E
    Me too! The meta-game stuff was great, I found several games that I really enjoyed (Jamestown, Orcs Must Die and Sanctum) and I won Two Worlds 2 and some Sega Classics Pack through the meta-game.

I'm also willing to bet that, come sale time, at least half the naysayers will find something that will buckle their resolve :D

I didn't buy anything in the fall sale, hoping for moar savings in the christmas one.

In no particular order:

Unity of Command
    Skyrim - Dawnguard DLC
    Dark Souls
    Borderlands 2
    The Walking Dead

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post
    I see your point, but most sales are much smaller scoped and I really don't keep up with the week to week stuff I *know* almost everything I want will pop up for pretty darn cheap over Christmas. Plus there are several months of cold dreariness ahead during which I find more time for gaming than usual, so I look at it as a way to stock up on the cheap.
    I'm talking specifically to people with backlogs, which at this point is (I suspect) nearly everyone. If you've managed to avoid that trap then the question becomes "will I play this before the next sale?" as gundato rightly points out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I pretty much own everything already so I'm hoping for some meta-sale-game to motivate me to play stuff I wouldn't bother trying otherwise :E
    Same here, except I'm happy with no meta-game. The sales have been so frequent this year that I've pretty much bought whatever I wanted. I have nothing on my list and no desire to really play anything else. Unless any interesting sims or RTS games come up, might be a different story then.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Keeping an eye out for:

-Lost planet 2. Just seems interesting.
    -Hitman (new one). If it goes 50% or more off, I will grab it up.
    -Far Cry 3. I tried to like FC2. I wanted to. But the respawn times, and never ending patrols ruined the fun. FC3 seems like a game that, while realistic at times, also remembers that it is a game

Other than those games, I am always on the look out for arcade-style racing games. Not race car simulators, mind; fun racing games. So...if anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Now, back to Deus Ex: HR, which for some reason I hated for a year and have now fallen in love with completely...weird.

Edit for Walking Dead, as judging by reviews and discussions on this site, it seems to be quite the tale and worth pointing and clicking at.

I'm talking specifically to people with backlogs, which at this point is (I suspect) nearly everyone. If you've managed to avoid that trap then the question becomes "will I play this before the next sale?" as gundato rightly points out.
    Yeah, that makes sense. With a very large backlog, I could see sticking only to DLCs and Expansions for existing games. I wish I had that amount of resolve :D In my defense, the majority of the games on my backlog came in bundles that I bought for a specific game. That's part of the reason I'm hoping for the meta-game like last year, it got me to play a ton of these 'extras' last Christmastime that would probably still be sitting uninstalled in my library otherwise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Keeping an eye out for:

-Hitman (new one). If it goes 50% or more off, I will grab it up.
    Hitman: Absolution is $20 on Amazon right now.

Skyrim DLC and Far Cry 3. Maybe Endless Space too but I really want to work through some of my backlog. I'll still be working through it come the summer sale so no rush to get any other games right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not planning to get much at all in this next sale, but a worthwhile point is that my gaming / genre choices are fairly unpredictable. One day I might want to play puzzle agent, the next Orcs Must Die 2, and the day after that Wesnoth, so sometimes my purchases are genre based too rather than whether I have a backlog.

As much as I don't think you should have a huge backlog (and most of mine is stuff that came alongside a bundle), I don't think you should force yourself to play games to clear a backlog either. If you're forcing yourself to play something, why are you playing it to begin with? The question then becomes why did you buy it, and what can you do to avoid this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Exactly. Sales are functionally continuous these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Yes, that's the best way to look at it
    'Will I play this before the next sale?'
    I intend to follow this philosophy as well. I'm also trying to adopt a new one where I'll forego getting titles brand new if they're single player only/focused. The likelihood is I'll still have a backlog by the summer sale, so there's no point me getting games like Dark Souls or whatever else is on my list simply because I can play it in my own time at any point. It's going to be tough for sure to see some things I want cheap without buying them, but I bloody bought Skyrim on release to get a damn map with it and I still haven't done anything other than install it and keep it up-to-date.

Does anyone intend on setting up a thread for the sale itself? I know we're not the biggest forum in the world, but organisation won't harm. Also, it gives us a chance to think up good titles! "Steam Christmas Sale 2012 - Welcome to the party, pal!" is still up there for me.