Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Does anyone intend on setting up a thread for the sale itself? I know we're not the biggest forum in the world, but organisation won't harm. Also, it gives us a chance to think up good titles! "Steam Christmas Sale 2012 - Welcome to the party, pal!" is still up there for me.
    Steam Christmas Sale 2012 - To hear the lamentation of your wallet

Will be keeping an eye out for:
    XCOM
    Sleeping Dogs
    Dark Souls (already played through it on the 360. Wouldn't mind giving it another go on PC with the extra content and added prettyness and all)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    AssRev gold for 5, for 2 I would buy bf2 again on steam so I never need to patch it again.

That's pretty much it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Banned
    Can I ask a question to all the people who wait until sales to buy videogames.

Why do you buy them at all?

If the point of buying a videogame is giving the developer/publisher money for a job well done, just like pretty much any other purchase on an open market, then why do you wait for a sale to give them less money than they deserve?

I mean obviously, sometimes you can just conclude that a game is simply not worth a full price, sort of "you did an okay job but it seriously could be better" approach - I will not pay the full price, but I still think it was worth at least some money. (This is why Steam is really good)

But time and time again I see people here nothing short of masturbate about how great some of the games they play are and then - you wait for a sale?

I mean are you really so broke that you can't afford to buy games at the full price? Or you do you simply not give a damn about where the money goes? But if so, why do you buy games at all? Why not just torrent them?

Or are you just moral enough that you cannot bear warezing games, but nowhere near moral enough to give people proper money for their hard work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

If the point of buying a videogame is giving the developer/publisher money for a job well done, just like pretty much any other purchase on an open market, then why do you wait for a sale to give them less money than they deserve?

I mean obviously, sometimes you can just conclude that a game is simply not worth a full price, sort of "you did an okay job but it seriously could be better" approach - I will not pay the full price, but I still think it was worth at least some money. (This is why Steam is really good)

But time and time again I see people here nothing short of masturbate about how great some of the games they play are and then - you wait for a sale?

I mean are you really so broke that you can't afford to buy games at the full price? Or you do you simply not give a damn about where the money goes? But if so, why do you buy games at all? Why not just torrent them?

Or are you just moral enough that you cannot bear warezing games, but nowhere near moral enough to give people proper money for their hard work?
    Sales are a great way to pay what you think a game is worth. Far Cry 3 was reviewed very well and looked like a game I'd enjoy. Bought the digital deluxe even though the bonuses were pretty stupid. My GOTY so I'm happy for paying extra. Game of Thrones RPG, a developer with questionable reputation and mediocre reviews. My interest in the setting makes me want to play the game but I'm sure it isn't worth the full price, so I wait for a sale to drop it to something I deem it worth. Bought the game for 15 euros, would've been disappointed at full price.

I think 1 hour of enjoyment per 1 euro spent is a good deal. Above that it becomes great and excellent. Killing Floor I bought for 13 euros or something, and have played 250+ hours. To show support I've bought all the DLC for it.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Network Hub
    Dishonoured
    Sleeping Dogs
    XCOM
    Far Cry 3

Though I might skip XCOM due to Firaxis seem to be going down the route of shitty DLC again, much like CIV5, and we haven't heard anything of the promised mod tools.

Because its an open market and I can choose to purchase a product at any price I prefer, so please get off your stupid high horse.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 18-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar

Because I can, basically. You will likewise do things I find immoral for whatever reason you justify as well. Where do you buy your clothes? Do you know how they're made? Which shops do you shop at? How much money do you give to the poor? Have you ever cheated on anyone?

This isn't a church, so don't sermonise. If you want to make a point or start a debate, great. But heavily weighted and judgemental rhetorical questions isn't the way to do that.

Banned
    I'd be the last person to teach you about morals. What really gets to me is how illogical this is.

You know why I buy games in sales? Because saving money on luxury purchases during a recession is great when you have so many other expenses.

Anyway, I'm hoping for cheap sleeping dogs, maybe some saints row 3 DLC. - I don't really buy videogames much anymore, anything I really want I get at launch and I only really buy games I really want as I have 128 games unplayed so far and I don't want to add to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Is it so hard to believe that someone might think a company deserves to make a profit from a good game while at the same time believing that €50 is way too high a price to pay for a single piece of home entertainment?

In any case, my own livelihood is way more important to me than the game companies' financial success.

Also, not buying anything this sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think there's very many things I want, so I don't think I'll be buying much. Maybe Dishonoured if it gets a good discount.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Obscure Node
    It's been on sale before, but I'm an idiot and missed it, so I'll have my eyes open for Fallen Enchantress. Other than that, nothing springs to mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I expect I'll probably hoover up some DLC, and maybe gift a few games to ppls, but there's not much that says 'Buy me!!' in terms of titles I don't presently have tbh. Looking forward to the hiatus between now and the new Tomb Raider to play through some backlog tbh.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I'll probably mostly buy indies this time. The big budget games on my wishlist will almost certainly not fall within my price range this sale. I'll leave it to Valve to prove me wrong.

Moho:
    1) Size of wallet does not always coincide with lust for games.
    2) Uncertainty about quality. Maybe buy the sequel at full price.
    3) Recessions and stuff.
    4) Basic microeconomic theories of price discrimination, demand and such.

EDIT: For the inevitable actual sale thread, it would be great if there was some focus on highlighting the games that are seriously discounted but unlikely to appear as flashes or dailies.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to announce my candidate for the sale thread name: "The inevitable actual sale thread, with some focus on highlighting the games that are seriously discounted but unlikely to appear as flashes or dailies." That's pure marketing brilliance, if I ever saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I've also got a massive backlog as it is, and will be a dad in 3 months time.
    Congratulations, and best wishes! And in the fatherhood! Kids are awesome.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 18-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm "moral enough" to not steal and not "moral enough" to pay the amount publishers want to charge early adopters.

Got a problem with that?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    If the leak can be believed, the Christmas sale will kick off on Dec. 20th.

At least we get one day in before the end of the world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I'd be the last person to teach you about morals. What really gets to me is how illogical this is.
    With most forms of consumable media there's a price premium that degrades over time. This is expected. Whether it's books, films or games. The producers of these products understand this and accept it. If people aren't prepared to buy your product at the full retail price within the first few months of launch, then it's highly unlikely that they're going to afterwards, so you incentivize them to reconsider with sales.

Whether I buy a game day one of wait for a sale is kind of up there on deciding whether a movie is worth going to the cinema to see or waiting until it comes to DVD. Either way the producers make money.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Pretty much. People buy games at the price they feel they are worth. Or they are dicks and just pirate everything.

Nothing more to it. Sometimes I'll buy a game new, if only to support the devs. Other times I'll wait for a sale. And quite often I'll just say "Meh, I don't really care" and just not play it at all.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Why do you think they deserve more money than the sale price? The sales prices aren't being enforced on them by Gabe Newall turning up at the offices with a gun. They opt to put the games on sale on Steam and elsewhere. They do that because it makes them money. If a company thinks they always deserve $50 for every game sold, they can just never put it on sale. Clearly they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    If the leak can be believed, the Christmas sale will kick off on Dec. 20th.

At least we get one day in before the end of the world.
    But what if it actually starts 21st and IS THE END OF THE WORLD :OOOO
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.