Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Why do you think they deserve more money than the sale price? The sales prices aren't being enforced on them by Gabe Newall turning up at the offices with a gun.
    *Shifts uncomfortably in seat*

I am totally broke but my steam sales rules are gonna save me :

• Only games that are in my wishlist (or should be).
    • One game a day
    • nothing below a 75% deal.

Games I am looking forward to:
    Dishonored, FTL, XCOM, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, Sleeping dogs, Far Cry 3, Assassin's creed 3. All are pretty new, so I am not sure I'll even buy one game this Xmas...

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Does anyone intend on setting up a thread for the sale itself? I know we're not the biggest forum in the world, but organisation won't harm. Also, it gives us a chance to think up good titles! "Steam Christmas Sale 2012 - Welcome to the party, pal!" is still up there for me.
    "Steam Christmas Sale 2012 - End of the World Edition"

"Steam Christmas Sale 2012 - Vinraith: 'You Shall Not Pass!'"

"Steam Chrimbus Sale 2012 - Mohorovicic Finds You Most Illogical"

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I'd be the last person to teach you about morals. What really gets to me is how illogical this is.
    This really puzzles me. Are you spoiled, rich or just not living on your own? Not trying to make men out of straws here, I'm genuinly curious as to why you see people saving money as a bad thing.

I usually wait for sales for all my games, but I do buy new/preorder... I preordered Torchlight II because it was so cheap and I bought Dark Souls on release because I wanted to support From Software's decision to bring it to PC. Now I feel irrationally happy for singlehandedly ensuring Dark Souls II's PC version at release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by valuum View Post
    This really puzzles me. Are you spoiled, rich or just not living on your own? Not trying to make men out of straws here, I'm genuinly curious as to why you see people saving money as a bad thing.
    I think it was just a very awkward and incompetent attempt at playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think it was just a very awkward and incompetent attempt at playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.
    Or maybe it was just flat-out trolling. Occam's razor and all that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Or maybe it was just flat-out trolling. Occam's razor and all that.
    Devils' trollvocate.

Someone should kickstart that. It would be about a devil, and a troll, and then make it into a game. End Result-Devil's trollvocate the game. I've pretty much done all the concept work right there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Or are you just moral enough that you cannot bear warezing games, but nowhere near moral enough to give people proper money for their hard work?
    That's going to be the response you get from most of this forum. Well, that and venom, lots and lots of venom.

For what it's worth, though, you've hit on something that occurred to me about a year and a half ago. Why am I spending so little on games I enjoy so much, and at the same time spending so much buying games in general? It's part and parcel with the whole hording thing, so little money to the truly great games and so much (in $5 increments) to developers of crap and fluff.

I've been conscientiously trying to alter my game buying behavior for the last while, and a bit part of that has been a drive to buy far fewer games at significantly higher prices. That's anathema to a lot of folks around here, I know, but I've come to believe that if a game is really worth playing than it's worth paying real money for, and if it's not worth paying real money for then it's probably not worth playing.

In general, I've been much happier with my purchases, the developers have gotten the money they actually deserve, and I haven't found myself constantly regretting idiotic sale purchases. I don't expect this to be everyone's cup of tea, of course, but it's certainly worked better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    That's going to be the response you get from most of this forum. Well, that and venom, lots and lots of venom.

For what it's worth, though, you've hit on something that occurred to me about a year and a half ago. Why am I spending so little on games I enjoy so much, and at the same time spending so much buying games in general? It's part and parcel with the whole hording thing, so little money to the truly great games and so much (in $5 increments) to developers of crap and fluff.

I've been conscientiously trying to alter my game buying behavior for the last while, and a bit part of that has been a drive to buy far fewer games at significantly higher prices. That's anathema to a lot of folks around here, I know, but I've come to believe that if a game is really worth playing than it's worth paying real money for, and if it's not worth paying real money for then it's probably not worth playing.

In general, I've been much happier with my purchases, the developers have gotten the money they actually deserve, and I haven't found myself constantly regretting idiotic sale purchases. I don't expect this to be everyone's cup of tea, of course, but it's certainly worked better for me.
    If you’re going to go to that degree it’s surely entirely subjective. What you’re basically talking about is deriving pleasure from an experience, what monetary value people level that at, and their motive for doing so. That’s some deep stuff, most of which will come from somewhere much more convulted and deep than your gaming habbits and income.

The only relevance it really has to anyone else is to encourage people to experiment with it, on the grounds that they might not have done and might find it beneficial. But you can’t legislate a blanket subscription of “Buying games x way is right/wrong” when the criteria is personal satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    The only relevance it really has to anyone else is to encourage people to experiment with it, on the grounds that they might not have done and might find it beneficial. But you can’t legislate a blanket subscription of “Buying games x way is right/wrong” when the criteria is personal satisfaction.
    I completely agree, and had hoped that was clear from my phrasing in the final line.

I completely agree, and had hoped that was clear from my phrasing in the final line.
    Sorry, it was intended to underline your points although I can see how that could be misconstrued. I can snip it if you like. I'm just filling time in an empty office so talking out loud essentially : /

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Sorry, it was intended to underline your points although I can see how that could be misconstrued. I can snip it if you like. I'm just filling time in an empty office so talking out loud essentially : /
    No worries, just the hazards of an all-text medium with no tone/inflection/body language/etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I've come to believe that if a game is really worth playing than it's worth paying real money for, and if it's not worth paying real money for then it's probably not worth playing.
    Tell me that after spending RRP on a stinker or a gaming journalist's darling game that has terrible failings.

So, I delay whole months for games, no reason not to pay RRP, but once hype has collapsed and the sales happen, I could ignore the sales. Hell I could ignore the game altogether.

Mostly that is what happens, heck of RPS's calender games incite a "meh" from me, just as most regular media charts will.

But occasionally something short or flawed but still with merit comes out,or maybe it's drm or distribution brings the life span of the game into question, maybe public opinion is vastly split and the game lacks a demo.

That's sale fodder.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    For the inevitable actual sale thread, it would be great if there was some focus on highlighting the games that are seriously discounted but unlikely to appear as flashes or dailies.
    Keep an eye on this great aggregate of discounted games, which also includes sites like GOG, GamersGate and the like: http://www.steamgamesales.com/
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Keep an eye on this great aggregate of discounted games, which also includes sites like GOG, GamersGate and the like: http://www.steamgamesales.com/
    Yeh, a good site. If something is 75% off or more you can pick it up knowing it won't be discounted further in a daily deal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    For the inevitable actual sale thread, it would be great if there was some focus on highlighting the games that are seriously discounted but unlikely to appear as flashes or dailies.
    Great, in theory, but difficult in application unless you spent a considerable amount of time on it. The general rule of thumb is if there's a game that's not on a daily or flash sale that is 75% or more off, it is unlikely to be reduced further. Obviously there's a vast catalogue on Steam, so going through sifting for all of those might take some time, but you can be sure that some pricing sites, including SavyGamer, will get those up some point not too long into the sale. In fact, with some titles, it's a repetition of what's been before.

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce my candidate for the sale thread name: "The inevitable actual sale thread, with some focus on highlighting the games that are seriously discounted but unlikely to appear as flashes or dailies." That's pure marketing brilliance, if I ever saw it.
    I would use it, unfortunately the title gets cut off after not too long, so I'm afraid it'd be mostly lost.