Monitor recomendations?

I am looking for a decent IPS panel monitor in the 150 quid range but have no idea which of the ones floating around right now are actually good.
    I'm perfectly happy with a 1080 resolution as long as all the other characteristics are good.

Any suggestions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This one consistently gets good reviews but it's been cheaper (under 130)

http://www.ebuyer.com/340832-aoc-i23...eakers-i2352vh

I normally can't be bothered with monitors which contain speakers - but in this case it has a headphone socket which is actually quite a smart idea (get your sound and picture via HDMI (one cable) - headphones in the monitor (one cable)).

Any more information about the Korean one and why exactly it is worth its money? As far as I can see it has a faster refresh rate.

The AOC one looks OK with a good response time. While there is no need for on-screen speakers which in my opinion are usually money wasted that should have gone into the panel and the headphones are a neat idea but not needed in this case it seems to be a rather solid entry.

Many thanks for the recommendations so far, try to find a decent monitor is quite hard as the marketing bullshit flies fast and thick around these things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Super happy with my iiyama ProLite E2473HDS-B1 16:9.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I'm really liking my LG Flatron W2261VP, it has a slick design and features full HD as well as HDMI output for a mediabox or consoles.

Only downside is that it's pretty low and doesn't have a adjustable stand.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I've got this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o01_s00_i00

It's very nice in my opinon. I'm no tech wizard but games and stuff look really crisp on it.

Activated Node
    I started this thread some time ago to ask for similar information, it might be of some help:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...-a-new-monitor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunjumper View Post
    The AOC one looks OK with a good response time. While there is no need for on-screen speakers which in my opinion are usually money wasted that should have gone into the panel and the headphones are a neat idea but not needed in this case it seems to be a rather solid entry.
    They do the same panel in a variety of specs - without speakers, alu casing, different inputs and outputs etc. - just a slightly diff. model name each time - same really decent panel.

Network Hub
    I have the AOC and heartily recommend it, they certainly haven't skimped on the panel. Have no idea what the audio is like, never used it. The stand is a little ugly, but I'm looking at the screen.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not going to recommend any specific one but give you some advice (teach a man to fish and all)
    only 2 things you should care about when choosing a monitor for gaming:

-input lag (less than 10 ms, preferably close to 0, or it's worthless), any monitor with any real amount of input lag will make your games feel unresponsive when gaming.
    Your current lcd monitor likely has dogshit input lag so you might be used to it, take this as an opportunity to get a frame of reference and get something better, responsive games are ten times more enjoyable.

-response time (don't go by the number given by the manufacturer, look for actual tests on how bad the ghosting is on each monitor. All lcd monitors have awful ghosting, some are less offensive than others.
    There is little use in buying a 1080 or 1440p monitor if the slow pixels on the screen turn everything into a blurry streaky mess every time the camera pans in any scene (so basically ALL the time in videogames).

People like 120 hz monitors because they usually have little input lag, it's not about seeing 120 frames per second as more fluid but about how responsive the game feels by seeing feedback for your button presses on screen without as much delay.

Display coatings warning: many dell displays for example have a grain filter embedded between the glass and the panel to get less glare from sunlight or other light sources. (called anti glare)
    Many people refer to this as the sandpaper filter... check out these types of panels before buying you may hate them (or may not mind).

If you care about image quality at all, avoid TN panels , they are pigslop IQ wise.
    IPS panels (there are various types too) have more acceptable IQ, the problem is finding an IPS panel with low input lag and little ghosting.

If you spend a lot of time surfing, you will probably like a 1980x1200 resolution monitor, more screen real estate to fit websites on vertically = more comfortable browsing.

Educate yourself, make an informed decision so you can choose what to compromise on without regrets (IQ, ghosting ,framerate or resolution) , enjoy responsive gameplay without regrets.

Panel manufacturers seem to think consumers and gamers are idiots so they don't bother with much variety for gaming ips panels.
    Right now it's a 'you want a, b , c, d and e? you can only pick three of those' situation.

Maybe some day oled matures enough to make it into large sized panels and we can finally emerge out of the LCD ghetto.