Page 16 of 365 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapouille View Post
    I'm left wondering about Cyanide's implementation of "random", given the quality of the rest of the game's implementation.
    I know how you feel... I always run matches through BB Manager and am usually stunned by the difference in luck I'm on the receiving end of (moan moan moan!) For example, I recently drew 2-2 against flings with my Woodies in the open. BB Manager reported my luck score on the d6 as -20 and his as +10. He failed one out of 22 take root rolls (successfully rerolled), whereas I failed one out of two (only two because my treeman was taken off the pitch in the first turn of the first half and took root immediately when he came back on). And don't even get me started on my goblin teams...

But anyway... as much as we love to hate the RNG, it's actually much, much, much harder to write one that does not behave truly randomly than just using the same one built into your programming language that every other game uses and no one moans about. If Nuffle hates you, on the other hand... well, that's a different matter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunkdreams View Post
    I know how you feel... I always run matches through BB Manager and am usually stunned by the difference in luck I'm on the receiving end of (moan moan moan!) For example, I recently drew 2-2 against flings with my Woodies in the open. BB Manager reported my luck score on the d6 as -20 and his as +10. He failed one out of 22 take root rolls (successfully rerolled), whereas I failed one out of two (only two because my treeman was taken off the pitch in the first turn of the first half and took root immediately when he came back on).
    That was me, wasn't it? I am the only flings in the Open. I'd forgotten about that game - it was karma after my nuffling by 20phoenix's nurglers.

it's actually much, much, much harder to write one that does not behave truly randomly than just using the same one built into your programming language that every other game uses and no one moans about.
    After a decade working in games, I wouldn't be surprised *at all* if they decided it would be a good idea to roll their own out. That just stuff games programmer do... But that's another rant, let's focus on BB :)

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    That was me, wasn't it? I am the only flings in the Open. I'd forgotten about that game - it was karma after my nuffling by 20phoenix's nurglers.
    It was indeed you :p. The 3 x treeman + Sara cage was both to be feared and highly mobile. Still, it was the incredulous TTM TD that sealed the draw ;).

servers?!! ffs

So was setting up the final match for Div I (the loser's division :) ) found this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...rver-migration

So the servers are down for a couple days, including our proposed weekend time. Unfortunately, I am EST and Recoil, my esteemed opponent, is GMT. We we planning for Sunday as it works best for both of us, but the server wont be available.

The question is, will the rollover for Week 3 be extended because of downtime? If so, will it include next weekend? I ask because then we can play the following Sunday (20th), which is ideal, but if not, we will need to figure out a later time during a weekday before next weekend.

Not a huge deal either way, just need to know so we can figure out. Thanks, DoD overlords! :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The pitch invasion that knocked over all 3 trees but left everyone else standing was a particular highlight!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by everblue View Post
    the pitch invasion that knocked over all 3 trees but left everyone else standing was a particular highlight!
    Timber!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Timber!
    And then one of them stood up and threw a teammate... touchdown! I didn't even think that was allowed...

And then one of them stood up and threw a teammate... touchdown! I didn't even think that was allowed...
    Throwing can be committed after a move action, so yeah, nothing unusual there.

Throwing can be committed after a move action, so yeah, nothing unusual there.
    Not after standing up... at least not in Cyanide, although it worked with the TTM. I've been got by that before.

Not after standing up... at least not in Cyanide, although it worked with the TTM. I've been got by that before.
    ... I've stood up picked up and thrown in cyanide, I'm sure I did.

... I've stood up picked up and thrown in cyanide, I'm sure I did.
    And I'm sure I didn't! :p Maybe it was a bug that was fixed relatively recently? My experience was a while ago.

Network Hub
    Thanks to Axler for the game, it was very well played by him and he kept me shut out for basically the entire game. A deserved 2 - 1 in his favour, and I was even pretty lucky to get the 1 TD I did manage. Division I has crowned its Champion! ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    And I'm sure I didn't! :p Maybe it was a bug that was fixed relatively recently? My experience was a while ago.
    You can absolutely stand up, move, pick up the ball and pass in a single turn. If you blitz however, you can't throw in the same turn. Maybe you blitzed?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I've been caught out by throwing earlier in the turn - you can only do one pass in the turn, and throw team mate counts as a(nother) pass if you already passed :-(.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elesium View Post
    A lot of people have asked this and I havn't seen an answer yet, what do you do if you are retiring your team and starting over?
    I was going to smugly link to our our rules in the spreadsheet here and say RTFM, but then I looked and I hadn't written anything in there :-D. I'll add this to the FAQ, but what you need to do is, after your last game, once you are sure you are rebooting, in the season status tab, change your 'next season' division to Rx (where x is the number of other rebooters there are in there above you, eg. R1 for the first rebooter) and put your new race selection in curly brackets in the race column (for example:{Liz}). I should be able to figure it out from there, but you'll want to update your team name once you've sorted it out, too.

/Added to FAQ

Also added to the FAQ specific rules about returning players. As it's happened a few times recently, I've tightened up how it works. The below has been added to the FAQ for returning players:

'If you are a returning player, we need to place you somewhere in the divisions where your TV is not going to disrupt the league too badly (we particularly don't want experienced players beating up any new guys). What we need you to do is in the 'next season' column, enter T (for reTurning) and your Team Value. For example, T1470. This should give us the information we need to place you somewhere in the next season.'
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 10-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think everyone in div 1 should just be promoted to the Champs division due to how quickly we got our games done.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Also, Human Catchers should be 9 4 5 9 Catch, Dodge, Side Step, Block at 60k

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hutton View Post
    I think everyone in div 1 should just be promoted to the Champs division due to how quickly we got our games done.
    I and gorm got our game done three weeks ago, do we autowin the DoD? :-)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    Also added to the FAQ specific rules about returning players.
    Oh, hurrah! I came on specifically to ask about this very thing. My Dwarves are returning!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I've delayed doing this because I am not sure if it's a win to Dog Pants (Jarvis didn't turn up) or a draw (they both tried to play but were defeated by illness) - it's a "no-fault no-show" from Jarvis.
    A win for Dog Pants puts him level at the top of the Division with NieA7 going into their deciding final match, so the score for the defaulted one matters. Groovy, shall I give mr Pants there the win?

(and since I don't think I've said it, I hope you get well soon Jarvis, my Swedish friend)
    Sorry for the delay. After conferring, we're pretty sure it's fairer to make this one a draw. I'll admin that this evening if nobody's done it yet, and move it on to the next day (unless the servers are down).