Page 29 of 345 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    The Ball Curse 1 - 1 Cheese It!!!

A big mismatch in team experience encouraged a mercenary assassin and Horkon Heartripper on to the pitch for the Ball Curse and from the very start they set about stabbing the Skaven into submission. The Skaven received on the first kick and were down to just 6 players on the field by the time they got their only touchdown of the match. The rest of the half was a fairly even melee with the occasional Skaven injury.

The second half got underway with the Dark Elves attempting to murder their way through the centre. A tactic that was initially effective before being completely shut down by Skaven re-positioning That left an opening on the flank however and the Dark Elves were eventually able to drive up the pitch for the equalizer. Much like the first half the remainder of the second half devolved into a brawl in the centre of the pitch with neither side getting enough of an edge to progress the ball down field.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    We've been underway for about a week! There was a post and everything...
    Yeah, I know. My match with Dentharial has been pencilled in for Tuesday.

My Delves just took a pasting at the hands of Web-Cole's Helves. It was our first game and we took 2 MNGs to the runner and a blitzer, a -AV to a lineman and a BH to another lineman. OUCH! If a kindly admin is about to validate the match and move on Div H then Helio and I might be able to get our game in this weekend. Oh yeah, we lost 0-1 too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    My Delves just took a pasting at the hands of Web-Cole's Helves. It was our first game and we took 2 MNGs to the runner and a blitzer, a -AV to a lineman and a BH to another lineman. OUCH! If a kindly admin is about to validate the match and move on Div H then Helio and I might be able to get our game in this weekend. Oh yeah, we lost 0-1 too.
    Muwhahaahaha--hkkk *chokes on dried mango strip*
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    If a kindly admin is about to validate the match and move on Div H then Helio and I might be able to get our game in this weekend.
    Someone appears to have done this already. I'll get Rotekian's match validated and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Someone appears to have done this already. I'll get Rotekian's match validated and moved on.
    >_< Yeah, sorry we both asked different ways about the same time. We played our match, got to turn 10 2-0 ahead (looking at a potential 3rd TD) and my net crapped out. "The Brain" agreed to a rematch later in the week, Sorry brain-person, you'll have to stab even more elves before you will be free of me.

I'm more than happy with a do over since I was getting creamed anyway. I'm not having much luck with Delves so far. Corkir or Screwie, any tips you can pass my way?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Here is a tip - do not listen to the lies about "the running game". Don't be afraid to chuck the thing like elves do. Your runners get access to throwing skills - just because they have dump off, that doesn't mean you should play like you want them to get hit. You do get two runners though, so you could consider giving one accurate and pass and giving the other one nerves of steel to be more of a catcher.
    Also don't think just because you're evil and have black armour you should get in melee; your armour isn't amazing, it's just not as horrible as pro elves and flower elves, and your mans are expensive. Pick your fights, use your ag4 to dodge away and to gang up so you end up with a bunch of 2D blocks on your turn and very few blocks on his. Use your agility to make columns of twos in front of an enemy cage, not in base contact, thus slowing it down.

Depending on how this season goes I may retire my Norse, they just aren't advancing (after 6 games one of my berserkers and a werewolf still don't have a single SPP). I'm also don't think that they have long term viability due to a distinct lack of guard and weak armour.

If they end up going nowhere I think I will give Orcs a go for nostalgias sake.

Just miserably lost 2-0 to Screwie in Division A.

Definitely time to retire the team, carrying 3 rookies when you're at ~1900TV is just too painful. I'm not writing up anything more than that; I played terribly, my dice were total shit, and my team were useless. I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    If they end up going nowhere I think I will give Orcs a go for nostalgias sake.
    Certainly play out your matches, you might have a revelation. Guard that AG4 guy. If you go orc resist the temptation of black orcs. They are a waste of TV imho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    @JayTee, I'll write it up in a bit.

@Brain, As for Dark Elf advice, I would say follow what PW said, especially about shuffling people around to get 2D blocks.

All the Dark Elf team lacks out of the box is a decent long range thrower. The Pass skill alone fixes that. But at AG 4 anyone on an elf side can be counted on to do a quick/short pass if unmarked and to catch an accurate pass.

You don't need to run the ball all the way, a dark elf cage is typically a stalling tactic to get your opponent to over-extend and leave an opening for a pass.

My team currently doesn't have a dedicated thrower (or catcher for that matter) and while I mostly get by, there are times I definitely miss out on those long throwing TDs. So look at how Corkir's doing it, or read up on BBTactics, and probably don't look at my team too closely.

Only have one witch elf at most, until she is no longer a liability (typically after she gets Block/Wrestle and Side Step). Then hire the other. Assassins can be ignored entirely. I have two of them. Again, pay no attention to my team.

Also be aware of how many AV 7 players you are fielding at a time. It's the Dark Elf weak spot in an otherwise glorious stat block, and an aware and bashy coach may try and reduce your numbers quickly by focussing on them. Because of recent lineman deaths, I've just gone through a series of games with more AV 7 players on my team than AV 8. In every game I would run dry of acceptable losses for the LoS and putting even your blitzers there is horrible feeling.

Assassin's are great when you are facing 2000+ TV opponents, don't start a team with them, think of them as a risk free blodge, strength and guard defying assault.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Definitely time to retire the team, carrying 3 rookies when you're at ~1900TV is just too painful.
    It's funny how this works. Bashy teams are meant to come into their own at high TV, but lose a leveled up blocker and it's incredibly painful to replace him. On the other hand teams that suffer from attrition generally come with reasonable players out of the box that are easy to level if you concentrate on them. Necro's got both - I've not had any problem leveling replacement wolves and ghouls at a reasonable pace (including one of each at the same time recently), but the "new" flesh golem is languishing on 7SPP after 23ish matches and is a bit of a white elephant.

Basically bash teams have a lot more reason to be frightened of other bash teams than elves do.

Something you could consider is a drastic TV trim. Retire the bloat, knock off a couple of rerolls, and start again. Might make you mroe competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    It's funny how this works. Bashy teams are meant to come into their own at high TV, but lose a leveled up blocker and it's incredibly painful to replace him. On the other hand teams that suffer from attrition generally come with reasonable players out of the box that are easy to level if you concentrate on them. Necro's got both - I've not had any problem leveling replacement wolves and ghouls at a reasonable pace (including one of each at the same time recently), but the "new" flesh golem is languishing on 7SPP after 23ish matches and is a bit of a white elephant.

Basically bash teams have a lot more reason to be frightened of other bash teams than elves do.
    I find this to be quite true. I recently lost the two best players I have - on the necro team that lost the wolf I also had two level 2 wights and a niggle/-MA wolf while still running at around 1700-1800 TV. In the end I ditched the team as I couldn't compete in games as all the game changing pieces were essentially rookies. In comparison the woodie who lost both wardancers in quick succession including the stat freak one look to be in much better shape to handle carrying the two most important positionals being rookies.

I do however think this is less of a problem in a league format than MM.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    ...but the "new" flesh golem is languishing on 7SPP after 23ish matches and is a bit of a white elephant.
    I've always found Flesh Golems horrendous to level, mostly because their stats (particularly Mov 4 + Stand Firm) tend to lend them toward being used as roadblocks; either to guard the sidelines or tie up Str 5 big guys. I've got two of these guys on a Necro team who have played around 25 games. One has 7 SPPs, the other has 4. And of course, they never seem to get MVP.

For a while I've been thinking of changing my use of Flesh Golems to get them a few more SPPs - heck, even just block - but ultimately I find they're too good at what they do. That is to say, just standing there and being punched in the face.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

But they're so much more useful being punched in the face if they have guard. I figured the "new" golem was allergic to SPP when it got knocked down with the ball two squares from the endzone by a human catcher without block >.> The old golem's gone on a bit of a murder spree lately, now it's got mighty blow he's turned into a bit of a beast. They're awesome players, probably the most important on a necro team (no point moving fast if you've got no space to run in), but they're just so damn slow it's painful watching them progress.

Delfs I consider more of a hybrid style team in that you tend to want to bash against ball playing teams and play elfball versus the bashers.

Yup leveling my FG's is the hardest part of playing Necro made even more frustrating by the fact that a level 2 FG with Block and Guard is a much much more useful thing than the level 0 one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Division A
    Dread Pool (DElf, me) vs Dead Comic Society (Khe, JayTee)
    (Sorry, no photoshop this time)

Okay, so I did my homework on this one.

I'd checked out JayTee's team roster and predicted nasty violence - a Mighty Blow guardian and worse, a MB/Tackle blitzer. Not to mention two Dirty Player skeletons. I was hoping mostly to keep my players intact. An extra body would certainly help there, so I bought a lineman/meatshield which neatly brought my TV advantage to 240k - just enough so JayTee would have to choose between a Wizard and two other more useful things. Nevertheless, if I could remove those two MB players from the game, I could probably weather the rest of it - at least long enough to take the lead.

That was my plan going into it, and it worked out surprisingly well. The tomb guardian got hurt on a straight-up block (he regened, but he was gone for a while) and the problem blitzer was fouled into the KO bin. With them gone, I just had to hold back the undead cage and try and pry the ball away from JayTee's extremely skilled thro-ra... a process that took nearly the entire half.

When I finally did break the cage a lucky bounce landed the ball behind it, in the hands of one of my lineman marking a tomb guardian. He wasn't holding onto it for long, but the ball bounced even further from the undead and I wrangled an avenue for an elf blitzer to dodge through and pick it up.

Then I took a gamble - I chucked the ball to an empty square near the opposing goal line. The lone blitzer probably couldn't keep the ball from the eneemy throughout the opposition's turn, but he definitely could outrun them!

The ball landed in the perfect spot, out of even GFI range almost all JayTee's players. JayTee tried to knock my player down but couldn't stop a blitzer dashing up to the ball - only to fumble the pick-up horribly.

JayTee suffered an early turnover but punctuated it with a Wizard's lightning bolt... which fizzled and missed the blitzer! He grabbed the ball this time and scooted over the line in Turn 8.

Half-time Score: 1-0 to Dread Pool

Of course, both those problem players were back again. But this time I was receiving.

Pretty much my entire team scooted left and set up a cage/wall with my ball-carrier (a runner) trailing behind. My witch elf blitzed the veteran blitzer and parked herself a few squares ahead of the cage, while the linemen on the LoS prevented the undead from going round the back.

The dark elves pushed up again next turn, (somewhat) intentionally exposing the runner by bringing him in range for an assist on the witch elf's block. My cage followed up, surrounding the MB guardian and pushing him over, although this time the gang foul only succeeded in getting my rookie assassin sent off (double 2 when I needed a 5+, bah).

JayTee's turn again - a blitz happened, and a dump-off happened - the pass fumbled but happily landed in the witch elf's square anyway. The next turn, she was away and over the line.

At this point JayTee conceded it was impossible for him to draw the match, but as a good sport he carried on anyway.

The final drive was much like the first one, the elves against the cage, trying to find a way in. Making little progress, JayTee's thro-ra ball carrier broke ranks and ran for the line, leaving himself on the edge of a loose line of undead with most of my team on the other side of it. My witch elf ran him down, knocking the ball off-pitch.

The throw-in landed on the left flank completely in the open, so with my blitzer running within scoring distance, I sent a lineman back to reclaim the ball... and he failed the pick-up. Twice. No elf-tastic Turn 16 TD for me, then.

Full-time Score: 2-0 to Dread Pool

The story of the match is that I was lucky and JayTee wasn't. The first half was tense but JayTee's blocks weren't connecting like he needed to and the second half was miserable for him. I even won the bashing game, inflicting two casualties (one regen'd) and taking one in return (one apoth'd). So yeah, this wasn't his day.
    Last edited by Screwie; 04-02-2013 at 09:25 AM.