Page 31 of 345 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Pretty much agree - they were too powerful in LRB4 (no decay, started with mighty blow and had General access) but we've gone too far the other way now. Taking away G access is fine but I'd have either taken away MB or added decay, not both at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    You need a deep bench from the start if you're going to foul every other turn.
    Goblins with sneaky git ftw.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Interesting. In my experience Orcs have very little problems with their bench at the start of their career given their overall high AV. Usually BOBs are taken from the beginning since every chance of getting MVPs on them is so valuable. Going 4 BOBs, 4 Blitzers, 2 Linemen, 1 Thrower, 3 RRs costs you 990k. Since Orcs care little for attrition (if you're not facing a lot of claw), you can soon buy another Thrower or the Troll, depending on personal preference. Conservative play usually allowed me to stick with 3RRs, which is quite enough I feel. If you're struggling, you can always buy the 4th one lateron.

I have a hard time imagining a more effective setup with less than all 4 BOBs.
    My goblin-centric team was 4 blitzers, 1 thrower, 2 linemen, 4 goblins, the troll and 4 TRRs. You could swap the troll for 2 linemen to start with a deeper bench, but then you lose out on TTM shenanigans.

In all seriousness I would hire black orcs at some point too, but 4 blitzers were enough to carry the team against other rookie sides - and goblins are simply great on the orc team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    TG start with no skills while most big guys start with at least MB and maybe some other useful stuff. This means TG develop slower and cost more once developed.

Decay plus the lack of MB means that once one dies (which decay helps) it will take longer to level again.

Most big guys are effective out of the box or with 1 or 2 skills (guard/jugg/stand firm/grab), TG really don't start to do anything other than be st5 until they have several levels.
    They're not big guys though, they're blockers like black orcs or chaos warriors: 4 stronger than average players who start with no skills and level slowly. It's true they lack general access but they're strength 5 out the box.
    They still terrify me even without general access, although I do see your and Janek's points.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    They still terrify me even without general access, although I do see your and Janek's points.
    That's just it, without the undue fear their worth dwindles. Marking a Tomb guardian up with a goblin, fling or snotling "'grats, you get triple dice but you still need a lucky roll to be free of the player". The one thing tomb guardians have going for them they can mark up the entire LOS with ST5, but without the double skill roll for block its kinda pointless.

If you opponent lets fear control their behaviour and makes high risk blocks and dodges then yes, the Tomb Guardian has earned its pay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Dog Pants secured a handsome 2-1 over my mutated horrors through canny positioning and some surprisingly elf like plays, I increasingly feel that underworld need something between morg and dribble (who I swear people get a bonus against as they always seem to catch his bombs), ripper would have been useful.

Also side note, does the game no longer show accrued spp from the game until its validated? Wasn't showing on my MVP and I noticed it in my last game in the open where I had two journeymen skink and got one to score, then didn't know which was which to buy.

I've not seen journeymen in a while, but they definitely used to show SPPs when it came to hiring them. Could be another bug from the server move.

With Dribblesnot (or any bombardier) you don't throw your bombs at people, or they get to catch it like an accurate pass. Throw it next to them instead and hope the blast gets them. Although tomb guardians are as good a target as any if you want to risk the catch (it's unlikely they will make the return throw even if they do).

And damn, so I have to not-lose to Dog Pants to secure the division...

Speaking of validations, can we get Division A validated and rolled on again please? :D
    Last edited by Screwie; 04-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Div A: The Splinters Rejects (UW, LowKey) 1 - 2 Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants)

The Splinters Rejects hideous mutant caged rat thing cheerleader steals the show as the game begins with a home team kick off. Anupshi Rises recover the ball and push up the centre of the pitch to be met by a bomb tossed by the Rejects' hired Star Player. Nobody is more astonished than the Tomb Guardian who intercepts it, and the bomb explodes in his hands as he tries to work out what to do next, temporarily removing him from the pitch. The Rejects exploit the hole in the defences to rush forward with the troll and several skaven to harass the ball carrier, but the Thro-Ra escapes and switches across the pitch to hand off to his colleague. The second Thro-Ra rushes up the left field with a few teammates, most of the Underworld players still bunched up around the centre line. The Rejects' bomber lobs another explosive at the charging Thro-Ra, who deftly returns it to a nearby skaven despite having one hand full with the ball. A quick hand-off later and the ball is being shuttled lineward by the more hardy Blitz-Ra. A lone goblin gets line side of him, but he is put into the injury box for his temerity and the Blitzer runs on to score.
    The Splinters Rejects begin their offensive with another lobbed bomb which again takes a Tomb Guardian off the pitch. Shortly after, however, his luck runs out as yet another interception puts the bomb back at his feet. The squishy goblin's body is less resistant to explosives than the skeletal Khemri, and to the cries of an ice-cream seller he is carried off to the injury box. The ball, meanwhile, is carried forward to a goblin who is launched over the defensive line to a penetrating colleague, but unfortunately lands on his face. The ball is recovered by a lurking Thro-Ra who, with time running short, makes a medium pass to his colleague. The other Thro-Ra dashes lineward, and a pair of intercepting goblins look like they might halt him at the last minute, but a combination of their own misfortune and a bony fist to the nose leaves them both on the ground and the Khemri 2-0 up just before half time.

Anupshi Rises kick off the pitch to allow the Rejects to push hard on the right. The defence wraps around the aggressive offensive, and the ball is passed over them to a dodging goblin who has made space for himself in the opposing half. His possession is short lived though, being immediately sacked by a Blitz-Ra. The defenders push the Underworld players away from the ball as the Khemri struggle to pick it up, when a fireball erupts from the crowd and flattens most of them. This is all the opportunity needed to rush a Blitzer to the end zone, and an impressive long pass later the Splinters Rejects pull a point back.
    A little time is left to play, and the Anupshi Thro-Ra doesn't help his team by failing to pick up the ball again. A nearby goblin takes the chance instead and returns with it to his own lines, and a fight breaks out behind him which claims a player on each side. Spotting the Tomb Guardian shaped hole in the defences, the goblin hands the ball to a Thrower who dashes down the right. The Khemri deep defence pays off again though, sacking the Thrower and recovering with a skeleton. However, there are more Underworld bearing down on the ball, still deep in the Khemri half, and despite the entire Underworld team being on the ground or off the pitch at once stage, they still threaten a recovery. The referee proves to be their undoing in the end, and the whistle blows before either side can make anything of the situation.

The post game sequence xp doesn't show properly any more. Odd bug really... It's hard to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I've not seen journeymen in a while, but they definitely used to show SPPs when it came to hiring them. Could be another bug from the server move.

With Dribblesnot (or any bombardier) you don't throw your bombs at people, or they get to catch it like an accurate pass. Throw it next to them instead and hope the blast gets them. Although tomb guardians are as good a target as any if you want to risk the catch (it's unlikely they will make the return throw even if they do).

And damn, so I have to not-lose to Dog Pants to secure the division...

Speaking of validations, can we get Division A validated and rolled on again please? :D
    Done, done, done

Awesome, thanks!

(Also yay, got my first level 5 blitzer - and my first Diving Tackle!)

Grinn and I played the last game of the Champs Day 1, so it can be rolled on. It was a terrible game for me - the worst I've played in a long time. My apologies to Grinn for being such a poor challenge. No permanent injuries at least, despite my dwarves apparently deciding to wear their paper armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Indefatigible Snoozer View Post
    No permanent injuries at least, despite my dwarves apparently deciding to wear their paper armour.
    To be fair papiamachie is pretty robust in theory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I plan on returning next season, do I add myself on the end of the sheet?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Might as well, Kelron.

I have validated a handful of matches in assorted divisions.

Division E

Street Sweeping Scrubs [Delusibeta] 0-2 Da Blu Moonz [Dentharial]

Going in, I new I was at a large disadvantage, so Morg n Thorg recieved a phone call, along with a wizard. Nuffle agreed, and gave Blu Moonz a set of loaded attack die for the first half. Most of the first half was basically a brawl (or more specifically my ogre & Morg hitting people and everyone else doing their best pillow impression), until the DBM ball carrier succeeded in a pass (impressive for an orc) and a tactical error (I used a fireball instead of a lightning bolt) giving the first point for Da Blu Moonz.

Second half also started well: the ball fell out of play, so Morg got it. And then Nuffle came to reclaim his debt: moving a Blitzer across the field (since everyone else was occupied due to a Defence free turn), I took one Go For It space.

"You rolled a 1, you needed at least a 2, do you want to re-roll?"

Bah, go on then.

"You rolled a 1, TURNOVER!"

Just my luck. Morg got his face bashed, the ball nicked and I spent the second half doing basically the same as the first half, except not as well.

Frankly, however, I can't blame Nuffle for this one however: I was simply out-bashed, and DBM really deserved to score far more. In addition, the injuries actually was surprisingly fair: two on my side (one niggling) and one for DBM on my last turn of play (of which is a niggling injury). I'm reasonably happy with that.

Image report here.
    Last edited by Delusibeta; 05-02-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Division I

The Leaflickers [BigC90210] 2 - 0 Goes well with Port [Alini / Sadface]

The game started, Goes well kicks off, The Leaflickers Wardancer blocks a Skaven Lineman in the first turn and instantly kills him outright

Ports' turn 1 involved the Giant Rat Ogre blitzing and not only causing a serious injury but also KO'ing himself.

From this point it all went down hill for the poor ports, horrendous dice rolls both in game and for recovering KO's were abound. The Rat Ogre failed to get up every time and spent the whole game in the KO box.

C

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I have missed the opening of my 6pm game against Zoraster (Div G), suddenly realising while fixing my other PC what time it was. Will wait around for a bit, but I know he said his schedule is really tight today, so if he's unable to play now, I think it might be necessary to call this one a 2-0 against me.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Today is the last day of the opening round. Only 4 games outstanding which is good going given the late start, and at least one more of those is due to happen tonight. I've rolled all the other divisions onto week 2 so get arranging.

Groovy I'm not going to request an extension for my game in G. I've got a lot on over the next few days and having been stood up twice I'm not prepared to waste my time trying to find another window.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I gave you several hours' notice on Sunday, and today I apologised as soon as I realised I was late. There's really no need for hyperbole or that attitude.