Page 107 of 343 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 6852
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Division 1
    Ankle Biters (Dwa, drawlien) vs Dread Pool (DElf, me)

Drawlien had a neat 450k inducements and therre was nothing in my team I could cut for 10k to deprived him of that, so instead I bought a cheerleader and assistant coach to give him a useless extra 20k, and myself a bit of an edge on the kick off tables. As anticipated I would be facing a Wizard and a pair of Bribes for drawlien's deathroller, plus a TRR (I was expecting Babes).

Drawlien chose to kick first and I obliged him by finding a glaring hole in his flank and sending... pretty much my whole team through it, plus the ball. When your opponent uses a Wizard fireball on their first turn, I consider that a compliment.

It knocked down two guys on the wrong side of my elfmob so drawlien was able to get bodies in and literally surround my team, including 3 TZs on my witch elf Obsidian holding the ball. There was some jostling for a couple of turns as I managed to dodge her away, but one of my runners got surfed in the bargain (stunned only, thankfully). In the scuffle my assassin stabbed drawlien's Leader runner in the hip, giving him a -MA injury that his apothecary could only make deader.

As the dwarfs rolled round the front and pushed back, my elves chose to punch out the side instead, clearing another opening which a ball-carrying runner ran through, with Obsidian and blitzer in support. Drawlien had only a couple of dwarfs in range and marked up Obsidian with his remaining runner (in anticipation of a Dump-Off to her) before going for a blitz with one of his blockers.. . but the 2 GFIs proved too much and he fell over before he reached my carrier.

A certain goal! But not before Obsidian frenzied down the runner, giving drawlien's second ball carrier a broken rib (MNG).

And that was more or less the match. The remaining 12 turns consisted of the elves defending against and harassing the dwarfs as they tried to plough on through.

The lack of score doesn't reflect on the quality of play, as there were some great positional wars going on:

• I managed to steal the ball from drawlien's half-cage on the right flank by parking my lone Guard Bastard against the cage defenders and risking a 1D block with my witch elf against the ball carrier, so I could push him into my Guard and get a 2D block on my second, and push him and the ball out of the cage. Worked a treat!
    • My runner scooped up the ball and ran as far as he could, stopping just out of range of any dwarf and next to his own end zone. Drawlien countered with a masterful chain push using his troll slayer, shoving his own blocker within blitz range.
    • My runner performed the Dump-Off of Spite by chucking the ball into the corner of the pitch, well away from anybody, then Wrestling the blocker to the ground for good measure. On my next turn he ensured the elves would stay ahead by retrieving the ball and chucking it upfield to a lonely lineman.
    • HOWEVER drawlien chanced a GFI with his deathroller to knock the lineman closer to the sidelines, causing the ball to scatter out of bounds. The throw-in didn't help him but damn, I didn't see that coming.
    • In the second half, the ball is kicked deep and the dwarfs run afoul of the dice on their first turn, leaving me an opening to send elves up to hound the ball. So they do that. Drawlien simply sets up his cage deep in his own half and moved forward that way, despite having to clear my Side Steppers and Shadowers from marking him at every turn.
    • A chain block against my Side Stepper leaves drawlien in a tricky position - two elves marking his ball carrier and with every dwarf around them already spent of actions. He risks a dodge away (it is a blodging blitzer), but one marker has Shadowing, and chases him three squares before causing him to trip, and the ball lands between dwarfs and elves alike.
    • With a push I scatter the ball into a position where my AG 5 runner can grab it, and the next turn or two was spent with my runners resisting blocks by Dumping Off the ball to each other, over their little dwarfy heads. :)

Final Score: 1-0 to the Pool

I was certainly lucky with armour rolls, although I was definitely aiming for drawlien's runners to take them both out so quickly was fantastic. And to such nasty injuries too...

Conversely, my team took 4 or more BH but nothing worse, and my witch elves survived some significant attempts on their lives. And my assassin levelled up! But alas, no double. :(

This match also determined the outcome of Division 1! That means after THIRTEEN seasons, Dread Pool are finally headed to the Champs!!! Woooo!!

(I fully expect Grinn to murderise them.)
    Last edited by Screwie; 06-05-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Recommended frenzy(push->stab), sidestep(more stabs) and jump up(more stabs).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Jump up is hilarious on an assassin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Jump up is hilarious on an assassin.
    Oh, and sidestep plays nicely with shadowing. In retrospect dodge is good too.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Sack him, they're terrible pieces. TV wasted on flavour text, ooh we're so dark and evil, gimmick players that break easily.
    Like Lord Borat - who gives a "star player" a fouling skill? Flavour text, pah.

Jump Up is indeed great, but I am aiming for the Frenzy/Side Step route if I don't get a double on his second skill up. For now he has Block, to keep him alive a teeny bit longer.

On paper they're rubbish, but I've actually found the assassins surprisingly useful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Still waiting for my latest Div I game to be confirmed, was played last week. I know for certain I've got at least one level up for my thrower.

Don't shout at me, I don't know how often matches are confirmed yet.

Does frenzy work with stab then? The rules make it sound like it shouldn't ("When making a block, a player with this skill must always follow up if he can..." and "This player may attack an opponent with his stabbing attack instead of throwing a block"). Multiple block is similar ("At the start of a Block Action a player who is adjacent to at least two opponents may choose to throw blocks against two of them") and I know that works, but that specifically talks about the block action (which could be a stab or a block) while frenzy just says block (which is replaced by the stab).

It doesn't let you get two stabs (since Frenzy lets you make a second block when you push), but Stab lets you choose to replace any block with a Stab - including the second block you make in a frenzy.

The stab skill specifically does not mention the Block Action, so it does not work the same way as Multiple Block. For what it's worth neither does Chainsaw, which is the other closest skill to Stab. However Chainsaw has multiple limitations to prevent a similar thing happening (its mandatory so it would happen on the first block, can't create and doesn't allow Push Backs and follow-ups, and can only be used once per turn, and specifically can't be used with Frenzy). Stab has none of these restrictions.
    Last edited by Screwie; 06-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Mind = blown.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Still waiting for my latest Div I game to be confirmed, was played last week. I know for certain I've got at least one level up for my thrower.

Don't shout at me, I don't know how often matches are confirmed yet.
    I will do it tonight. In general if you add me on steam I'm usually happy to validate a game - just send me a steam pm.

Activated Node
    I don't know if this is going to be that relevant, what with it being the end of the season and all, but something seems to have gone weird in Div E on the spreadsheet. I'm showing an empty cell for losses and its only showing me having played two games, not three. Doesn't make any difference to the overall results, so it probably doesn't matter. Just thought I should mention it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    I will do it tonight. In general if you add me on steam I'm usually happy to validate a game - just send me a steam pm.
    Cheers!

So guys, what skill should my thrower pick? I was thinking Kick, or is that a big waste better given to some lineman? The team's new so you don't have to take into account stat increases or such.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Grinn / Potatoedonut - went to validate your match on Cyanide (spreadsheet shows a 2-1 win to PD) but there's no game to validate on the Cyanide client. Did one of you DC?

You'll need to decide whether to replay it or admin the win to PD.

Edit - Same issue with Eard and Weasel, match shown as played on the spreadsheet but nothing on Cyanide. Maybe the spreadsheet is fucked?

Edit again - Yeah ok, it's the spreadsheet that's bollocksed. It's happening all the way through.

SUGGESTION FOR NEXT SEASON - if we made BBM mandatory then there would be no need to use the spreadsheet to track results. The results and league tables are pulled automatically from there and update every hour or so. I know I've said this before, but it would save all the spreadsheet boffins quite a lot of work as we'd only need to use the sheet for signups. Anyway, I expect to be outvoted on this as usual. As it is I'm not brave enough to revert to a previous spreadsheet iteration and I can't validate games atm as I don't know whether the results are agreed.
    Last edited by Everblue; 06-05-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    A kick player is typically someone you'll want to be fairly disposable - throwers are going to be either ball carriers or dedicated throwers, so kick isn't as useful on them as something that will either keep them on their feet, help them stay out of contact, or chcuk the ball where you want it.

A kicking thrower wouldn't be useless by any means, but there's a whole category of passing skills and nearly all of them will be more useful. By contrast, most (all?) linemen have access to kick, but not to passing skills.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 06-05-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cheers!

So guys, what skill should my thrower pick? I was thinking Kick, or is that a big waste better given to some lineman? The team's new so you don't have to take into account stat increases or such.
    Kick is fine, as are block, accurate and kick off return.

EDIT - To clarify - you probably want the thrower on the pitch on defence, and so if you have 4 black orcs, 4 blitzers, a troll, a thrower and a kick lineman, then you are in the position of having to put someone valuable on the LOS.

If your thrower is your kicker you can put on 2 linemen and a troll.

I'm therefore fine with kick on an orc thrower. Maybe not as first skill though.
    Last edited by Everblue; 06-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Cheers!

Depends on the race and whether its your main thrower. On elves its good to put utility skills on your defensive thrower to keep your linemen free for skills they can make better use of. Also your thrower is unlikely to be on the LOS. Humans I'm not so sure - I think I'd prefer kick on a lino

Well I found the issue with Division E, some cells in the internal gubbins that should be hidden on the Sign Up Sheet were deleted by somebody. Quick fix.

Not sure what's happening with the Fixtures and Results tab, though.
    Last edited by Screwie; 06-05-2013 at 07:22 PM.

spreadsheet looks a bit broke? All my scores are wrong, at least. I dunno if I'm alright to just edit them in or if that will bust things further.

What should your scores be, Jiiim? I'll take another look.