Page 111 of 321 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 6414
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I don't have enough experience with elves to make a definite statement but they can really utilise inducements. If a opponent team lacks core reroll skills (dodge, sure hands, catch) slapping them with a chef can be devastating.

Equally, as elves if I can fireball a team with "main fighters" like skaven stormvermin or undead's wights you can debeak the opponent in one move, skip merrily to an easy score and establish a long term muscle advantage.

On the other hand low TV competent generalists like Dark elves and Orcs are terrifying.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The key inducements for me as elves are a wizard and eldril - eldril in particular for only 220k-ish if the opponent lacks tackle. Hypno gaze is awesome for cracking cages and you can use it again and again.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    The key inducements for me as elves are a wizard and eldril - eldril in particular for only 220k-ish if the opponent lacks tackle. Hypno gaze is awesome for cracking cages and you can use it again and again.
    And he also has pass block, so Eldril is useful against agility teams as well. In the limited set of star players Cyanide has implemented I think he's the stand out. Although the star player Yeti is a bit good as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    With me and elves, I will always take Eldril if I can. I'll pass on the Wizard almost every time though, an extra Apothecary and a Babe is much more useful.

Ripper is another standout star player. He's pure magic for Goblin teams.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Slibi is also good for lizards, and Zara is often useful for 'zons.

EDIT - Pass block on Eldril is really good, agreed. I have seen him intercept before.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I'll pass on the Wizard almost every time though
    Madness. Wizard = dropped ball = elfy touchdown.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My last two lightning bolts have failed :(

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    My last two lightning bolts have failed :(
    My last two fireballs, which have hit a combined total of 10 players has knocked down 1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I don't usually take the wizard; I fireballed 3 wood elves the other night in the Open: the ball carrier, a random elf, and the two-niggles super-wardancer; it achieved absolutely nothing other than to remind me why I rarely take the wizard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Chaos Dwarves should not be allowed the wizard.

I usually take a wizard, but in the last two fireballs and one lightning bolt it's knocked over 2 players and broken armour on none. Guess you need to hire at least one babe to keep 'em happy while they wait.

Setekh's pretty good for the dead sides at 220, strength 4 with break tackle, block, juggs and strip ball is both useful and comparatively reliable on a loner, and regen makes him a good bet for playing the whole match. I think Cyanide made a mistake by tending towards the expensive star players and leaving the cheaper ones out though, chainsaws for everyone makes a big difference.
    Last edited by NieA7; 09-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Yeah, adding in all the Secret Weapon stars would change the game dramatically (and for the better).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Admittedly the wizard can fail, but up until then your opponent has to play around the possibility of being wizarded, which is a massive advantage in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Admittedly the wizard can fail, but up until then your opponent has to play around the possibility of being wizarded, which is a massive advantage in itself.
    Now that's true. The threat of a wizarding is a lot more useful than the actual wizard, maybe even useful enough to make it worth the money - although I think I'd rather take a bribe and a babe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Honestly I've started baiting the Wizard in all my games, "Look at this tasty bunch of 5 elves! You'd like to fireball them, wouldn't you?" It serves me better to just get it out of the way sooner (especially if it misfires), generally AV8 can shoulder the hit, and it's generally better for me to lose the ball among a crowd of teammates than out on my lonesome while breaking for the line.

As Hands says, the threat of the Wizard does affect how you play.

Having said all that, I am helplessly riding a karma wave of Wizard-fails right now. Something like 6 or 7 matches in a row with with 6 or 7 wizards and zero injuries, yet. I am not looking forward to that Armageddon-like fireball that is surely in my future.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The last wizard I used simultaneously injured 3 opposing players, AV9. Before that I dropped a bolt on a ball carrier by my touchdown line and it didn't even tickle him. Freakin' magic...

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Now that's true. The threat of a wizarding is a lot more useful than the actual wizard, maybe even useful enough to make it worth the money - although I think I'd rather take a bribe and a babe.
    A proper cage formation seems right out, for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I usually take a wizard, but in the last two fireballs and one lightning bolt it's knocked over 2 players and broken armour on none. Guess you need to hire at least one babe to keep 'em happy while they wait.

Setekh's pretty good for the dead sides at 220, strength 4 with break tackle, block, juggs and strip ball is both useful and comparatively reliable on a loner, and regen makes him a good bet for playing the whole match. I think Cyanide made a mistake by tending towards the expensive star players and leaving the cheaper ones out though, chainsaws for everyone makes a big difference.
    As a skaven coach I'm more irritated by the lack of cheap stars. Having the choice between the pretty useless head splitter and Morg is not even a choice. I'd have to be getting over 700k inducements before I'd consider a star :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I try to never use the fireball on less than 5 players, sometimes I will hit four if the opponent is smart enough to never give me more targets, or if the targets are juicy enough.

Skaven are one of the worst hit teams for lack of stars. Chaos have it pretty bad, too - Borak and Blackhoof are both astronomically expensive.

Underworld are just unlucky that so few of the many Orc stars will play for their team - I always assumed they got Ripper right up until they didn't. Some more Skaven stars (especially Skitter!) would also help out the UW side nicely.

Lord Borat is the worst star player. Stupid, stupid, flavour-text bullshit skills.