Page 120 of 357 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 7132
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I disagree entirely. Go brutal or go home. If they're newish dark elves you've got more block, so use your Yeti and your block players against their unskilled players (and particularly against any runners they might have). Then use the flings as lots of easy-to-hurt 3 dice targets for your yeti to skill up on.
    Forget the runner; pick up the ball with one of your standard 3 agility mans once you've got yourself a numbers advantage.

Now that the seasons all started... can I ask what's the procedure for swapping to a new team next season. After getting many games under my belt I have found that I enjoy a couple of other teams far more than Delfs :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I'd be surprised if the dark elf side had any assassins, most likely you're looking at 4 blitzers and maybe a runner if the team is young. The principle is right though, reduce their numbers with your better skills before they reduce yours with your inferior armour.

Yeti is a waste against dark elves if neither the yeti or dark elves have the skills. At best he's a high ST road block but Claw against an AV8 team is not going to make a huge difference and Frenzy will get you into trouble. These are elves, they don't need you to make many mistakes in order to capitalise and score.

Pick up the norse runner asap. He comes with Block, his statline is better than a lineman in every way, there's no reason not to pick him.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    I notice that no one is discussing tactics for defeating my goblins in this division. Surely that's because everyone knows that victory over the Bombers is a forlorn hope.
    My Arsenal of Democracy AAR: The British Empire
    Seeking alpha testers for a StoryNexus cyberpunk RPG.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I disagree entirely. Go brutal or go home.

Perfect mindset for Norse coaching Pres, but you’ve picked the wrong player... in truth the runner adds more damage potential to the team. The runner adds 3 vital ingredients to the toolbox; speed (comparatively), agility access and dauntless.

The low TV snow troll is total junk. He becomes vital to the team in games against high AV bash once they have neutralised the block advantage and inevitably out guard you. Until your team is pretty well developed you should have enough inducements to rent a skilled Snow Troll for those fixtures where you need him. Against low TV heavy armour bash when you still have your block edge and mighty blow is scant the runners dauntless and early blodge is far more valuable.

Aside from dauntless the blodge SSing runner quickly adds a lot of passive bash to the team. On your possessions he opens up sideline drives, forcing the opponent to run the frenzy gauntlet risking surfs aplenty. His manoeuvrability also aids the linos vital task of providing/cancelling assists to eliminate frenzy traps, helping your zerkers and ulfs get those knockdowns upon which the team relies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunkdreams View Post
    I notice that no one is discussing tactics for defeating my goblins in this division. Surely that's because everyone knows that victory over the Bombers is a forlorn hope.
    We are all just in the race for second place.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    So, me and SillyWhiteGuy played our match, I won 3-2, but didn't get any money or SPP, it's like the game data wasn't saved for my team. What gives?

LE:
    Ok, did that, thanks for clearing it up.
    Last edited by TG06; 17-05-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG06 View Post
    So, me and SillyWhiteGuy played our match, I won 3-2, but didn't get any money or SPP, it's like the game data wasn't saved for my team. What gives?
    Looks like you need validating by an admin, it will happen automatically without you needing to badger anyone, just add your result to the fixtures page if the spreadsheet linked in the first post if this thread.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

He's a big guy, he's stronger, he's got mighty blow. He has frenzy and can blitz on not-a-one, and none of them have sidestep. You want to open up the sideline? Put him near the sideline.
    If the low TV snow troll is junk but you need a decent one against high TV bash teams, when are you going to develop one? Now, when you're facing a team of str 3 mans (incidentally, how's dauntless going to help in either of the upcoming matches? All your opponents for two whole matches are str 3 or str 2 apart from a couple of trees - if you're going to try to hurt trees, a big green claw bastard is what you want) and then a team of str 2 fodder that you'll get 3 dice on 1-on-1.

Big guys will always let you down, so try not to put yourself in a position where you need the blitz to work in order to stop your opponent scoring. Watch out for frenzy traps, where a push result will give the opponent lots of assists. Other than that, get your blitz on and start developing your big guy.

He's a big guy, he's stronger, he's got mighty blow.
    Yhetee's got claws, not MB. And while claws and mighty blow is a great combination, claws on its own is anaemic at best. It'll help a bit against the DElves, but outside lumberjack impressions it's useless against 'flings and gobbos (block on everyone else is hugely more dangerous). Generally I'd say get the Yhetee ASAP to start skilling him, but with two stunty teams coming up I think he'd just be a waste (unless you really want to go after their big guys, which can work but is normally just a distraction) - get some proper players and enjoy all the little 2SPPs running around.

Disclaimer: I was terrible with Norse last time I tried.

It's good to know that I was right to be conflicted :)

So, here's a bit more detail, I have 220k to spend and the team is currently:

5 Linemen (1 with Kick)
    2 Blitzers (1 with MB)
    2 Ulf's
    1 Thrower (with Leader)
    1 Runner

3 RR's and an Apo

I'm leaning towards getting the Runner, but I'm also tempted to get another thrower and actually use him as one.. Bashing comes easy to the Norsca, but it's nice to have a backup plan!

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Yhetee's got claws, not MB. And while claws and mighty blow is a great combination, claws on its own is anaemic at best. It'll help a bit against the DElves, but outside lumberjack impressions it's useless against 'flings and gobbos (block on everyone else is hugely more dangerous). Generally I'd say get the Yhetee ASAP to start skilling him, but with two stunty teams coming up I think he'd just be a waste (unless you really want to go after their big guys, which can work but is normally just a distraction) - get some proper players and enjoy all the little 2SPPs running around.

Disclaimer: I was terrible with Norse last time I tried.
    Hmm, no mighty blow? You should start skilling him up as soon as possible then, so he can get some.

Aside from my usual 'stake out a position and then defend it for the fun of the argument' thing, I seriously think that you should get the big guy. A skilled positional will probably be better for your results against the dark elves, but for the long term good of the team I think you should be getting the yeti early and getting skills on him. You'll never have a better chance to skill him than against two stunty teams in a row.
    You shouldn't need a runner to win against halflings, just do lots of blocks, move the ball, cage, and then three dice one with your yeti for bonus spps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    A counterpoint: big guys suck, get the thing that isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    A counterpoint: big guys suck, get the thing that isn't one.
    But if you're ever going to get one, get it now and skill it up, so you're not trying to skill up a noob big guy on an established team when someone hasn't handed you two stunty teams to beat up.

I'm not convinced the yhetee is need at all for the Norse side. By the time you face high level teams you should have some Guard and levelled up ST4 guys. I've played against some solid norse teams without the yhetee and they work well. It's not a cheap piece either - it's seven skills you could have had, or almost the cost of a Wizard your opponent could induce against you, depending how you look at it.

Also 3D blocks against Dodging Stunties when you have neither Block nor Tackle is an exercise in frustration. A rookie runner is more likely to accrue casualty SPPs from that tactic and 2DB (55% of knockdown) than a rookie yhetee and 3DB (42%, ignoring the chance of Wild Animal messing you up).

On reflection I probably would get the yhetee, as I do like using big guys and he provides a large distraction from your more squishy players. Eventually. However I'd definitely pick up the runner first.

(I can't help but notice however how much of PW's advice in support of the yhetee could equally be used to champion the Chaos minotaur, verbatim :P)
    Last edited by Screwie; 17-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.

You get more strength mans with the chaos side, you don't need the mino. :)

Did you factor in frenzy to your calculations, giving you another three (or maybe two) dice if you roll three !s and pushes?

You get more strength mans with the chaos side, you don't need the mino. :)

Did you factor in frenzy to your calculations, giving you another three (or maybe two) dice if you roll three !s and pushes?
    I did not, and I will do that now... (edit forthcoming)

EDIT:

If my maths is right, including the second Frenzy push the pair of 3DBs has a 63% chance of knocking down the Stunty - however Wild Animal pulls that back to 52%. So it's still marginally worse, although it is on the right side of a 50/50 shot.

Not to mention the runner can gain a 3DB with assists anyway, bringing their chance of success up to 70%.
    Last edited by Screwie; 17-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Given Norse are probably the team most focussed on killing and maiming I reckon the Yhetee is one of the rare essential big guys (along with the Beast of Nurgle, lovely fella): MB, claws and frenzy is always nice, even on a flakey wild animal.

That said I completely agree with Screwie on buying him now to beat up stunties: it's not worth it, he'd be terrible at it. Claws won't make a blind bit of difference and actually knocking anything down will be annoyingly difficult. Everyone else on the team (apart from the Ulfs) will have a much better chance of getting cas thanks to block.

Besides frenzy increases the chance of a turnover as well as a knockdown, which is always fun.
    Last edited by NieA7; 17-05-2013 at 12:08 PM.

I'm coming around the Yehtee... if only because the Runners (as natural drive finishers) shouldn't really have issue with getting SPP's and (being a foolish optimist here as I actually expect the gobbos to be an absolute arse against AV7) if I go up another Tier, I'm going to need the big bashy git more than the dodgy geezer...

Don't forget Yhetee are AV8: while you might prefer the treemen/trolls/chainsaws to be going after that rather than one of your positionals it'd be a lot of money to lose for a diversion compared to a lineman.