Page 121 of 367 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 7328
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    If the low TV snow troll is junk but you need a decent one against high TV bash teams, when are you going to develop one?
    That is a rather huge leap. I never said a snow troll becomes decent with skills... I say quite the opposite actually. They become necessary, they don’t become good... or even not bad. The last thing you want is stacks of skills on them as they don’t make it onto the pitch for a hefty proportion of drives. The only time you really want rather than need a snow troll is if you have had appalling luck rolling lino doubles so need the guard. However you should be cycling through the linos fast enough that this never becomes an issue.

Mighty blow at 6, sack or juggs/block at 16, sack at 31. I gave the Garfighters a season in the Open as I’d just got a block snow troll on them and a good norse coach was of the opinion they carry their weight at the point. After giving it a test for a season I was totally unconvinced and wouldn’t advise ever diverting from the above policy unless your other strength positionals are seriously undercooked.

Norse are fearsomely expensive and can’t afford to be giving up inducements. Hiring a snow troll prematurely is a fast road to ruin... although as most norse coaches seem hell-bent on destroying their team maybe that is the aim :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shar_ds View Post
    I'm also tempted to get another thrower and actually use him as one.. Bashing comes easy to the Norsca, but it's nice to have a backup plan!
    Danger Will Robinson! That is the fatal mistake virtually every norse coach makes and leads inevitably to team implosion and another coach coming to the conclusion the team is only viable at low TV. Norse are not good at bash. They have a lot of potential and a slight headstart. It is imperative that you focus on developing and maintaining this edge. It is really common for coaches to fall into the trap of rounding the team out which just means other teams catch you up on the bash stakes and you are just an average speed and agility team without any armour. Bash is your edge. Keep it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I'd advise listening to Zoraster on this, as he's come the closest to having a genuinely competitive Norse team I've ever seen.
    So that would mean... buying the runner and speccing him to hurt things, and not bothering with throwers?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    All this talk has made me really tempted to start a Norse team. Maybe if I still feel like playing a fragile side once my dark elves crash.

Before the collapse, don't forget to win the Champs please! Sorry Grinn, but it is time for someone else to win :).

I don't want Grinn to lose until Zoraster's Underworld get to the champs - that'll be a match worth watching.

Losing doesn't mean relegation. They can still play if Grinn comes second :).

I know, but it wouldn't be the same if Grinn's run was already broken :p

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I'd advise listening to Zoraster on this, as he's come the closest to having a genuinely competitive Norse team I've ever seen.
    So that would mean... buying the runner and speccing him to hurt things, and not bothering with throwers?
    Which would mean running with a 12 man squad? Or going Runner, then Yehtee?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I advise the runners, but mainly for dodge sidestep fend asap. That combination and the guards filling the cages means you can protect your man's.

The only big guys I consider indisposable are the Trees, Mummies, and Ogre team ogres, anything that might go stupid or wild and then eat a reroll with loner is just a liability waiting to *loners bonehead* uh... What was I saying? Ooh, a bird!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    As someone who died a lot with norse, my new team is going to be entirely focussed on 'killing them before they kill you'. Hence my starting roster has 2 berserkers and 2 wolves. My next 2 purchases will be both runners (because blodge+dauntless+sidestep in 16spp). Then I'll consider a yhetee. Although he was awful last time I played, hopelessly unreliable with wild animal, frenzy and loner. If you don't get a double for block, or have a lot of guard already its worth sacking him. But he does scare the proverbial out of AV9+ types. I'd probably hire/fire him on a season by season basis. Also if you leave him out and can get to 330k in inducements, icepelt hammerblow will do much better for your team (str6 frenzy, claws + no wild animal, still a loner, mind).

Additionally, no throwers. Passing with ag3? Its overrated.

Thanks for the ridiculously generous advice! I'm happy to have taken the thrower, if only for the Leader, and his ability to pull that surprise pass out has won me one game. But yes, I think it's time to Run...

(Though I think that my stupid desire to play the ball in advance of bashing the men will probably lead to my ultimate downfall...)

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Also 3D blocks against Dodging Stunties when you have neither Block nor Tackle is an exercise in frustration. A rookie runner is more likely to accrue casualty SPPs from that tactic and 2DB (55% of knockdown) than a rookie yhetee and 3DB (42%, ignoring the chance of Wild Animal messing you up).
    Do those odds include the second block from frenzy?

I am on the fence with regards the Yhetee on the plus side it comes with the best mutation for a player of it's type Claw and with the addition of MB is a threat high armoured teams need to be wary of. Disturbing Presence isn't terrible either especially as Wild Animal or being knocked over don't negate it. On the other hand it is expensive and will often require you risking your blitz to reposition which means you can't blitz with either your Zerkers or Wolves both of which you want to be hitting with as often as possible. I do think that on balance the Yhetee is a worthwhile addition to the Norse team (just) as you won't have enough guard to out bash AV9 teams at higher TV so I think you will need the added injury potential of a Str 5 Frenzy, Claw, MB piece.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    Additionally, no throwers. Passing with ag3? Its overrated.
    I do occasionally get them for leader and emergency passes (two turns left in the half when you have no choice about it). A line man plus reroll is 110TV a thrower plus leader is 90TV and you get pass also. Of course you risk losing the RR if they get injured.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    Do those odds include the second block from frenzy?
    Check my following post.

Chaotic and Fabulous (Chillydusk - Chaos) - (Ininja132 - Skaven) The Rakish Rodents

This game was probably one of the weirdest matches I ever played... I entered the field with 500 less TV, 6 matches played vs his nearly 50, and a simple plan: remove the Gutter Runners from the field. In order to achieve that, I got the infamous Lord Borak and 2 Bribes.
    The silver lining was that his Rat Ogre with almost 100 SPP was out for the match, so I just needed to be lucky with the POWs.
    Just 2 of his Gutter Runners had more skills then my whole team combined.

Game started with me receiving and a blitz putting a GR with Diving Catch next to where the ball would land, and a turnover.
    I surrounded the ball and went from there, beating as many guys as I could, while the Skaven kept getting turnovers.
    Got the ball from the ground and bashed most of his team out of play until the end of the first half, when I scored. His 5 KO all managed to come back and I was kinda screwed by the Swealtering Heat.

Started the 2nd half with half my team vs his 10.
    A quick 2 or 3 turn TD equalized and I went to receive.
    Caged and kept going forward till the mid but got greedy and put my guy in a position for a 1D block from his thrower.
    I could have avoided it if i managed the 3+ dodge with rr to put the final corner, but the turnover happened.
    The thrower manages to get the ball loose, and it scatters to the outside of a corner of the cage where the gutter runner runs to pick it and passes to the other Gutter to score the 2-1.

All in all, I had the game in the bag if I didn't play stupid there, but mistakes like that are usually paid with defeats, so I deserved to lose. Still managed to kill a 0 spp lineman and cause at least 1 MNG, so enjoy the damage I did Rotekian.
    Good luck for the rest of the season Ininja132, hope to play with you again!

EDIT: I posted the replay on BBmanager if anyone wants to take a peek at the insane amount of nuffling that happened to Ininja on the 1st half and me on the 2nd.
    Last edited by Chillydusk; 17-05-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Global Warping have their first superstar! Behold Jumbce Creep!

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    Global Warping have their first superstar! Behold Jumbce Creep!
    I certainly tried to kill them all

Congratulations 20Phoenix!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    I do occasionally get them for leader and emergency passes (two turns left in the half when you have no choice about it). A line man plus reroll is 110TV a thrower plus leader is 90TV and you get pass also. Of course you risk losing the RR if they get injured.
    The major problem I have with employing the leader caddy thrower is how to get them on the field defensively. The norse toolbox requires a lot of bodies once you are moderately developed; four spots are always filled by zerkers and ulfs if healthy, leaving you with just four places on the field for any runners, guard linos, snow troll and dirty player before you even consider luxury items like a kicker, +ag lino or thrower. Leader is a false economy at the best of times but when you already struggle to have enough non-LoS spots for key personnel it becomes even more counter-productive.