Page 131 of 367 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 7328
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Playing Dark Elves well requires positional discipline and cage-stalling, which I always rather lacked. Even without it, and with the treachery of Iron Quinns (Ag5, guaranteed to fail any vital dice roll) my Dark Elves did OK. I suspect that starting out you're going to be dissatisfied with any team until you get the hang of the game a bit, but if you could get a game or two against a high level dark elf player it might open your eyes.

That said, orcs are probably a good choice. They're nice and flavoury, they're robust, they're pretty easy to grok. Black Orcs are slow to level, so you might get dissatisfied with their lack of block out of the box, but if it's a starting team in the Divisions you're not going to meet other teams with strong players who have block, or block players who have plenty of guard, so you ought to be able to out muscle them. Also you get 4 excellent blitzers who start with block out of the box.

If you do want to stick to something elfy, high elves are a decent choice since their game is pretty straightforwardly built around passing. You're still going to have problems if you try blitzing cage corners with any kind of elf though, unless you can build a couple with sidestep or stand firm, and diving tackle. Maybe before you ditch the dark elfs completely you could try building a leap strip ball blitzer, if you're determined to attack cages - remember though that any time you move into base contact you're giving your opponent a free hit on an expensive and relatively fragile elf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think when starting out you probably want a team that's good at low TV and is relatively forgiving if you make the rookie mistakes of overmarking or of rolling too many dice.

So things like orcs, undead, amazons, dwarves, chaos dwarves, high elves etc are all fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Pro elves are my personal team they are essentially High Elves on acid. No, honestly, I think that's how they were thought up.
    Oh sweet Nuffle I love pro elves SO MUCH... but if he's worried about dark elves being fragile that AV7 is not the way to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Oh sweet Nuffle I love pro elves SO MUCH... but if he's worried about dark elves being fragile that AV7 is not the way to go.
    I dunno, when you full embrace that "THEY WILL DIE" av7 isn't so bad, and right out of the box the catchers are exceptional. After 3 level ups (block dodge, sidestep?) they are completely insane. And 3 ups isn't hard for a Catcher to earn.

The main issue with Pro Elf is the finances, if you get broke then you end up with loners, if you end up with loners you end up relying on the positionals more then the positionals get punched, DOWNWARDS SPIRAL INBOUND.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'll think it over - tempted by High Elves or Pros.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Pro Elves die. Pro Elves die all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    And then you end up with a team with 7 loners and only 1 skill up, and the player with the skill up has a niggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    He just played the Zons next for him is Gorms Skaven so I would keep him for that as tackle is handy against the Ratty buggers then after that is my CDorfs so I won't comment on that as I'm biased.
    Keeping him around for the rats is a good thought, but if I'm remembering correctly, the 'gor is MNG from the -AV injury. So he wouldn't be available anyway. I hate sacking a skilled player and having to deal with trying to feed SPP to an unskilled 'gor. On the other hand, the injured 'gor is likely to spend a significant proportion of his future matches lying in the injury box, and a noob 'gor is still better than a rotter. Urg. It's probably time for sacking. I just don't like to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I actually didn't find that was a problem with Elf Harm. I mean I had some absolute stat monsters that lasted forever. But if AV8 delfs are seeming fragile...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post

I had a go with Pro in the No Bash league, fancying a bit of a change. My experiences there drove me into the hairy arms of my norsemen... My other temptation was Necromantic, similar running style to Delves, but with a stronger core?

Oh and I did get through quite a lot of lineelfs, but I think I actually took more casualties on my chaos team (AV8 and lots of base-to-base contact).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post

High Elves are great (65 games in the RPS open with mine and counting) fun, but can be horrendously frustrating. You will throw envious glances towards Wood Elves and even Pro Elves, with their out of the box developed cage breakers.

They're not as quick or skilled as Wood or Pro, and theoretically balance that out with greater survivability (more AV8), more strength compared to woodies, and a higher level passing game.

The major problem I've had is those AV8 players, especially the blitzers are expensive, relatively fragile, and vital to your defence. I've lost probably six blitzers so far to various comic deaths, and it's kneecapped me defensively. I went through a phase of possessing the ball for all of two turns, easily scoring, but with no ability to regain possession once a cage was formed, and thus getting stomped on for 16 turns, and losing 2-1.

That said, the catchers are amazing, and you can have 4 (which will help when they get beaten up) and the thrower is fantastic out of the gate as well.

Now I've got mine to a high TV, and skilled up to the eyeballs they're proving a handful for other teams, but at low to mid TV I don't think they're that competitive.

On the plus side, everyone will hate you a little less than Wood Elf players, for taking the harder longer road, so you may get fouled more infrequently :)

Real men learn the game by playing AV7. Nothing bangs home a point to be learnt than a dead rat/elf/stunty.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    On the plus side, everyone will hate you a little less than Wood Elf players, for taking the harder longer road, so you may get fouled more infrequently :)
    Fouling isn't about hate, pity won't get you fouled less. It's the kills/debilitating injuries.

Obscure Node
    I very much like High Elves, tried them all before deciding. HE seem like the most balanced, and I don't think the extra skills of WE or PE are of such great importance - if you're doing it right then you will always score with any kind of elves. However, it is pretty clear that at low TV they suck, being a weaker version of Dark Elves which start with more block and about the same AV. Once you reach 1500 TV though, things start to change, and they only get better from there (a double and you have Strong Arm on the thrower, plus accurate, safe throw and pass... ). It's also not that hard to make your own wardancers.

Sure, PE catchers are insane and WE have speed, but again, you will/must score with elves, it's what happens after the TD that decides the match (or before).

Another thing to take into account is that you shouldn't always try and brake the cage, In fact, that can be a huge mistake, lots of times is simply better to just pressure to opponent into scoring early by not letting him advance the whole cage. But by far the best tactic in my opinion is to be very aggressive on the defense.
    Last edited by TG06; 29-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Look No Hands (Undead, mrchinchin25) 2 - 1 Night of Knife (Dark Elves, the.alleycat.uk)

Just finished a pretty brutal match against the.alleycat.uk's dark elves. I really think there was some luck involved here, I'm pretty sure every turnover he had was due to one of his long-ears being knocked over whilst trying to dodge...

I lucked out a number of times and managed to get a hero-ghoul onto the ball and run it through. Several elf injuries, no deaths..

Division J
    Planetside2 / Firefall: Crustycuffs
    Mechwarrior Online / Blood Bowl: Mrchinchin25
    GuildWars2: Shiifty (Mesmer) Frank Tankborn (Warrior)
    Raptr: mrchinchin25 Steam: mrchinchin25 Origin: ​Crustycuffs

Lots of bashing, comical ball handling and squishy flings, mostly due to Eric the Electrician... can we get a validation?

Quote Originally Posted by Shar_ds View Post
    ... can we get a validation?
    You are both very nice people.

Two -AV saurus, both with block. :(
    Think I'd be best replacing them while the team is still young, or is it not worth losing the gained skill while they're still a relatively decent AV8?
    Steam: Darkmalice (the evil smiley one)
    Planetside 2 (TR): IronShroud
    Life is Fedual server: Life is Pain [Dedicated]

From my own experience with chaos AV8 really isn't that much of a death sentence, i would hold on to them personally. At the very least until you have all your other skilled sauruses. I would go for a trial by fire approach personally, sending them at the most death-defying odds until they finally go the way of the dodo. Why fire your players when the apposing team is more then willing to send them home in a bodybag at no extra charge?