Page 145 of 345 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 6888
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I would happily accept being re-entered into leagues by going straight into the champs division.

It's the destination not the journey.

Well, since Jolima is taking a break and you were in tier 1 before leaving last month (if i recall) I guess you would have a spot there. But I have no idea if that would be accepted by the mods :).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Ogres

6 blokes with ST5

What can go wrong?
    In my last Ogre match, I lost 3 - 0, and caused not a single casualty.

Against halflings.

I still love them, though. Both players alternate between wonderfully effective and hilariously useless.

Network Hub
    Could someone check I've done the return of the Nogs properly on the spreadsheet? Noticed they weren't adding to rebooting/returning under race balance so I've added the pointy brackets, hope that's right ...

Activated Node
    I like necros because they have high ma in relation to their resilience. But their big problem is their starting 11 and high rr cost, you have to give up players or rrs to be able to be in the 1000 tv budget. But screw that, wolves are damn good players, and that claw is awesome. And losing the mummies for them isn't that much of a problem if you ask me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    People don't give zombies enough respect. MV4 is just what they need to step up and walk back to who hit them. No waste. FG are just zombies on horse steroids and in my mind not essential on the first 11.

Wights give much needed block and until skilled Werewolves are less reliable than ghouls.

All this considered along side the fact corpse teams end up with limitless cash reserves mean starting a Necro team with 1000 TV is easy as long as you ignore all of the toys. You'll get to play with them later.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Claw on wolves is not particularly awesome, as you need a double to get mighty blow. If you do get the double it's awesome, and the chance of getting it is considerably higher than that of an orc blitzer ever getting claw, but claw on its own is, it has been comprehensively demonstrated with the power of mathematics, not as good as mighty blow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    And another disastrous match for the not-so Vicious Violets versus BigC90210's Leaflickers in Division L.

Highlights of the match are a Wizard who managed to KO a single lineman despite firing a fireball at 5 of the low-armored buggers, Jordell Freshbreeze nearly killing a Wardancer and a shattered collarbone to the Leaflicker's star catcher. And, I suppose, the 3 Touchdowns scored this match, all by the Leaflicker's nimble Wardancers.

These elves are becoming treeman compost very fast. Dwarves it is.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    1- 0 against LowKey in Div G. Took out a few players in the first half which probably saved my ass in the second.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Poor ol' troll, never got to test claw vs regen

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Claw on wolves is not particularly awesome, as you need a double to get mighty blow. If you do get the double it's awesome, and the chance of getting it is considerably higher than that of an orc blitzer ever getting claw, but claw on its own is, it has been comprehensively demonstrated with the power of mathematics, not as good as mighty blow.
    I actually think that they are awesome and flexible pieces. The Claw is a great can opener and the 8 MA makes him a great blitzer but that movement also allows for better positioning with Guard (also a double) and to use as a ball runner. What I mean is, you don't necessarily need Mighty Blow to make him great, so I'd probably build them for team play with the occasional blitz+claw against better armored teams. Blodge seems to be the way to go with them IMHO, and I would only go for Mighty Blow as a second double following Guard, unless there was a good reason in the league I was playing in.

Activated Node
    I don't see why mathematically mb would be better than claw, since the majority of the players have at least 8 AV. That means Claw gives you at least +1 on armor rolls against the opponent, with plenty of useful +2 and a couple of +3. Sure, MB gives you +1 against everyone, but if you're in a bashy league it's got nothing to claw. If the team has mutations and players with easy access to Strength skills, Claw+mb+piling on is the way, with claw doing most of the work. After all, who doesn't like the opportunity to bash people like they're flings all over the place?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthZombie View Post
    I don't see why mathematically mb would be better than claw, since the majority of the players have at least 8 AV. That means Claw gives you at least +1 on armor rolls against the opponent, with plenty of useful +2 and a couple of +3. Sure, MB gives you +1 against everyone, but if you're in a bashy league it's got nothing to claw. If the team has mutations and players with easy access to Strength skills, Claw+mb+piling on is the way, with claw doing most of the work. After all, who doesn't like the opportunity to bash people like they're flings all over the place?
    Becuase you can use MB on the injury roll if you don't use it on the armour roll, it's flat out superior against armour values 8 or less. AV10 is rare (star players, treemen, people who level up unwisely and death rollers only?) and although it is a little better than MB against AV9, AV9 isn't common enough to make up for all the other players.

Claw does have a better psychological impact on the opponent though...

MB both armour and injury rolls, claw only hits armour.

MB is better against AV 8 or less, Claw against AV 9 or more (orcs)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the difference between needing a 10+ on an injury roll (1/6) and a 9+ (1/4ish) with mighty blow is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Ogres

6 blokes with ST5

What can go wrong?
    Congratulations, you've just altered the probability of rolling double skulls on a two dice block from 1/36 to 2/3 for your foreseeable future.

*edges away from Everblue*

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    People don't give zombies enough respect. MV4 is just what they need to step up and walk back to who hit them. No waste. FG are just zombies on horse steroids and in my mind not essential on the first 11.

Wights give much needed block and until skilled Werewolves are less reliable than ghouls.

All this considered along side the fact corpse teams end up with limitless cash reserves mean starting a Necro team with 1000 TV is easy as long as you ignore all of the toys. You'll get to play with them later.
    I found the best starting roster for me was two WW, two FG, two wights and 2 RRs. The team I started with that is currently 13-3-2. The aim was to max out regen to help reduce player loss while bringing in all the expensive positionals. Necro are a very effective team if you look after the positionals well. Plenty of fodder for fouling and tying up stuff and some nice positionals. Despite my penchant for speed and/or agility sides Necro are the rece I have the best win % with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    And there's your answer.
    There are also a bunch of deeply irritating players (skinks, gutter runners) and occasionally entire teams (pro elfs, flower elfs, amazons) which you really, really want to hurt and where claw has absolutely no effect whatsoever. Mighty blow is fractionally worse mathematically against orcs and dorfs, better against AV8, and magical against AV7 where claw isn't. Claw and mighty blow together is ridiculously good. Claw and mighty blow and piling on is nigh-game-breaking. But the whole point of claw in those combos is to get you the armour break without needing to use mighty blow; you save the mighty blow so you can roll weighted dice for the injury roll.

Flesh Golems are better players than mummies so that's hardly a loss, and wolves are just lovely - Necro are a great team to play. That said claw on its own kinda sucks. Better than nothing, but it hurts the other coach's thoughts more than their mans. Personally I think wolves make fantastic players even without doubles (blodgestep, tackle, then your choice of utility - jump up, diving tackle, shadowing, dauntless...), but with a double they're unquestionably one of the best positionals in the game.

Necro with two re-rolls can be very painful starting out given rookie wolves are turnover machines: personally I prefer two golems, two wights, one wolf, one ghoul, 5 zombies and three rerolls. That gets you some dodge early on and allows you to level up the wolf quickly. As soon as that wolf hits level 3 (blodge) get the other, then the final ghoul when funds allow. It will feel like it takes ages, but thanks to the near-universal regen you'll be rolling in cash soon enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't like necro teams. I feel like the difference between ST5 and ST 4 on the blockers makes a huge difference.

Yes you can build killer wolves, but undead wights turn into killers quite nicely too - wolves need at least one double to be really effective. Meanwhile necro wights end up in this weird place where you have to use them to hold the line to support the golems but they are too fragile to do so reliably.

Meh.

But then I don't have much experience playing either team so I don't know really.