Page 146 of 351 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 7009
    St4 to 5 doesn't make much difference, one extra MA, starting with stand firm and getting block on a normal roll does. Golem's are superb players, best blockers around IMO. Compared to a Black Orc you get regenerate, thick skull and stand firm for only 10k each, which is enough to keep them on the field, keep them alive to develop and keep them one skill ahead of their equivalents on other sides. They don't need doubles to be great, but get dodge on one and you have probably the most annoying player in the game.

Wights for Necro are your general purpose supports - if you give them flexible skills (guard first, then whatever mix of tackle, stand firm, mighty blow, juggernaut, piling on, grab, strip ball and dauntless you fancy) you can use them to do whatever's needed wherever you need it. Wolves are your primary scorers, like gutter runners their threat is their potential to get away: carrying the ball with a ghoul and running the wolves forwards stretches defenses very thin, and wolves are perfect for breaking through thin defenses.

Different strokes for different folks of course, that's why BB's so much fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    I don't like necro teams. I feel like the difference between ST5 and ST 4 on the blockers makes a huge difference.

Yes you can build killer wolves, but undead wights turn into killers quite nicely too - wolves need at least one double to be really effective. Meanwhile necro wights end up in this weird place where you have to use them to hold the line to support the golems but they are too fragile to do so reliably.

Meh.

But then I don't have much experience playing either team so I don't know really.
    Mummies NEED stand firm to avoid getting pushed out of position as standing up takes everything they have (mv3) just to stand up, FG stand with stand firm meaning they with AV9+Thick Skull they will be reliable markers. The issue is you need mobility, wights need a double for dodge and are only mv6, as much as its a nice idea to "save money" for stuff ghouls give mv7 dodge early and are often the ball handlers as a result, yes they die, but no more than pro elves (not actually true as pro elves have apothecary).

Werewolves are essential but there's nothing wrong with starting with just 1. Its not really about claw, its about MV8 GA access+Regen. They are as fast as elven catchers and tough too, just know that they are one of the few players with regen worth fouling, beware getting them cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    They don't need doubles to be great, but get dodge on one and you have probably the most annoying player in the game.
    I'd probably take diving tackle over dodge as its one of the few ways to slow elves down.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

A heroic* 2-1 victory for the hard-punching Amazons against Mad Dave's Mad McNurgle means taht me and Nie are tied on four points over in division two, having drawn our head-to-head match. You know what this means.

DEADLOCK

*basically his pestigor failed a GFI with a reroll. It wasn't actually that heroic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Division CHAMPS
    Dread Pool (DElf, me) 5 - 3 Agathis Avengers (WElf, AgP)

A beautiful (and all-too-rare in the upper divisions) game of Elf Chess, where the game turned on almost every mistake. Fantastic stuff, cheers AgP.

If Grinn doesn't lose his third match, then I've secured my spot in the Champs for next season. Yay?

Div 2: Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me) vs. The David Icke Experience (Lizardmen, Boots468)

Claw went in with 470 inducements, partly thanks to star flesh golem Bits having a bit of a rest for the match, and opted for a merc golem with block, two rostered zombies, a wizard and a babe. While Setkeh was tempting the numbers didn't quite work out for him, and with no less than 6 mighty blow players on the Lizards side the extra armour and thick skull of a golem felt like it would be useful.

The lizards won the toss and chose to kick, and Claw's game took an immediate blow when the star wolf Fido (blodgestep, tackle, dauntless) was KO'd by a rock. This was disastrous for Claw: they now had only two tacklers on the pitch, and no easy means of hurting the saurus. The Lizards capitalised on this over two brutal turns by knocking out another three dead men, including the merc golem and tackle zombie, leaving Claws remaining few players piteously slumped next to the sideline. The result was inevitable: the carrying ghoul was eventually downed, allowing a skink to nip in, grab the ball and sprint out of reach. Claw managed to regain a little pride by badly hurting a saurus (who was apothecaried back into action) and fracturing the leg of a skink, but it was too little too late: a turn 7 lightning bolt downed the carrier without hurting him, leaving a comparatively easy run in on turn 8: 1-0 to David Icke.

In addition to the injured skink another had been knocked out, making it 10 lizards to 11 dead men at the start of the second, though Fido didn't make the recovery roll. The lizards recovered the ball and cautiously held it deep in their backfield, but a concerted rush from the Necro's saw most the saurus marked up by zombies and golems while the lone wolf ran through to harass the carrier. Harassment was all he could manage though: with the skink having block and the wolf lacking tackle all he could do was shove the little lizard around. This continued for a while, until suddenly the Saurus found their collective mojo and managed to stun four of their markers in a single turn.

This was the break the lizards needed: freed for a turn from their zombie friends the saurus regrouped and better hide the skink with the ball, who first ran downfield to the left, then back up to the middle, then back down the right out of harms reach before finally carrying it over the line on turn 16. A half-hearted attempt at a 1TTD fizzled out miserably (though it was nice to see another rock from the crowd, this time KO'ing a zombie), as did every attempt to hurt the scrimmage skinks, leaving it 2-0 to The David Icke Experience at full time.

What's incredibly frustrating about this match is not that I was somewhat nuffled by the dice (the rock and rash of KO's at the start of the first half killed my drive stone dead, while at least 6 block dice were thrown at the carrier in the second half without a single pow), it's that I made too many stupid mistakes in addition to the nuffling. The wizard was wasted in the first half, saving him for the second would either have given me an opportunity to grab the ball or forced Boots to leave the carrier more open. Similarly poor defensive play in the second ultimately made the second touchdown far too easy, while the limp way my first drive collapsed was embarrassing. Silly mistakes like the, coupled with solid positional play from Boots, made the result inevitable. At least lessons learned the hard way will hopefully last the longer for it.

I've never quite worked out if the cas difference in tie breaks is the casualties caused from punching (Cas and Inj in the top part of the match record page) or the injuries sustained from everything (the "sustained" figures in the match details at the bottom). Either way I think it's a dead heat - Claw and Track & Field have a TD difference of 0, if it's casualties caused then we're both at +1, if it's casualties sustained then we're both at +2. Clearly it's time for the Thunderdome.

So tier 1 is beginning to take shape again and its possibly the most varied I've seen in a while! From what I can see we have:

AGP - Wood Elf
    Jolima - Nurgle
    Me - Skaven
    Webcole - High Elf
    Laneford - Nurgle

The three remaining spots are Screwie (Dark Elf)/Drawlien (Dwarf), Axler (Chaos Dwarf)/Smaug (Nurgle) and NieA7 (Necro)/Jiiiiim (Amazon)

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    And another disastrous match for the not-so Vicious Violets versus BigC90210's Leaflickers in Division L.

Highlights of the match are a Wizard who managed to KO a single lineman despite firing a fireball at 5 of the low-armored buggers, Jordell Freshbreeze nearly killing a Wardancer and a shattered collarbone to the Leaflicker's star catcher. And, I suppose, the 3 Touchdowns scored this match, all by the Leaflicker's nimble Wardancers.

These elves are becoming treeman compost very fast. Dwarves it is.
    Don't assume trading AV7 for higher will make any difference :) - Nuffle hates dorfs ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    So tier 1 is beginning to take shape again and its possibly the most varied I've seen in a while! From what I can see we have:

AGP - Wood Elf
    Jolima - Nurgle
    Me - Skaven
    Webcole - High Elf
    Laneford - Nurgle

The three remaining spots are Screwie (Dark Elf)/Drawlien (Dwarf), Axler (Chaos Dwarf)/Smaug (Nurgle) and NieA7 (Necro)/Jiiiiim (Amazon)
    Meanwhile, in the Champs:

Grinn - Orcs
    PW - Chaos
    Boots - Lizards
    Drawlien - Dwarf / Me - Dark Elf

I'm not sure where I'd be better off, actually.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So I totally think I've updated the spreadsheet correctly with my returning team, can anyone confirm deny that rumour?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hutton View Post
    I would happily accept being re-entered into leagues by going straight into the champs division.

It's the destination not the journey.
    You can't hide from me up there, Hutton.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    All's good Al - a perfect sheet update, letting me know that you're returning and how strong your team is. In line with more recent seasons as well, I think it's likely we'll put you in Jolima's place to minimise disruption further down the divisions, too. Not the champs though. Need more bribes for that :-).
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I've never quite worked out if the cas difference in tie breaks is the casualties caused from punching (Cas and Inj in the top part of the match record page) or the injuries sustained from everything (the "sustained" figures in the match details at the bottom). Either way I think it's a dead heat - Claw and Track & Field have a TD difference of 0, if it's casualties caused then we're both at +1, if it's casualties sustained then we're both at +2. Clearly it's time for the Thunderdome.
    Release the bats!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My chaos dudes want another crack at Hutton's humans. Put him in my division please.

Hutton - that beastman you liked so much last time now has piling on too :)

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    All's good Al - a perfect sheet update, letting me know that you're returning and how strong your team is. In line with more recent seasons as well, I think it's likely we'll put you in Jolima's place to minimise disruption further down the divisions, too. Not the champs though. Need more bribes for that :-).
    So we lose our only duplicate race (Nurgle) for some humies. Marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Meanwhile, in the Champs:

Grinn - Orcs
    PW - Chaos
    Boots - Lizards
    Drawlien - Dwarf / Me - Dark Elf

I'm not sure where I'd be better off, actually.
    Weasel I'm counting on you to maim some Orcs. This greenskin plague must be stopped

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    Weasel I'm counting on you to maim some Orcs. This greenskin plague must be stopped
    Sadly the alphabet lottery means I would have to face both PW and Grinn before they have to face each other. So it won't be much help for me, unless I change my name to Anti-Screwie.
    Last edited by Screwie; 13-06-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I've never understood the scheduling and I'm not sure I want to start now. My team's half-broken at the moment after two enforced retirements for my starriest players (one of them was enforced by death), so I doubt I'll be able to do anything about those ridiculous orcs; I never could before, when my team was in better shape.

My Lizards are also in worse shape than when I last lost to Grinn's Orcs, but hopefully some of the bags and bags of good luck I always get in Tier 1 will follow me up this time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    2-2 Draw between myself and Alini in Div D means I'm back to Tier 1! To go back down again I presume.

One last crack at the championship is the ultimate aim, then I put the nurgle to pasture I reckon.

If someone could validate it, that'd be grand.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    (one of them was enforced by death).
    Killed by a skink... never forget.