Page 151 of 372 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 7440
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Whose idea was introducing this whole pyramid league system thinger? It was a good idea, person or people whose idea it was. Well done you.

Also: I have applied for the champs, and since all the other teams were in place I have started the champs and checked the fixtures and it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Whose idea was introducing this whole pyramid league system thinger? It was a good idea, person or people whose idea it was. Well done you.

Also: I have applied for the champs, and since all the other teams were in place I have started the champs and checked the fixtures and it's all good.
    I'm still not sold - I think its mainly because i've been ping-ponging between tier 1 where the games have been competitive and games in tier 2 where teams just aren't equipped for the most part to deal with 2k skaven. Seems to be too large a gap between the tiers at the moment. That will change when my stars begin to die off no doubt.....

Maybe there should be a full reset on the league one of these days? Or maybe everyone with a good team would just quit if that were the case... I don't really know if there is an easy solution for this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it just means if you want to be competitive you need to stick with your team. There will be no shortage of bash teams wanting to trim 20p's TV anyway...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillydusk View Post
    Maybe there should be a full reset on the league one of these days? Or maybe everyone with a good team would just quit if that were the case... I don't really know if there is an easy solution for this.
    If "bloodbowl 2" is better and incompatible then that might be a good reason. Otherwise? I just can't see why. 2500TV bloaty murder bastards need to be relentlessly fouled until they are more pleasing to the eye.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

No full reset. People often reset themselves as their team naturally attrites or they seek a new challenge. Other people want to keep their team going and see attrition as a challenge. You won't run into too many monster teams in the lowest tier, and you can spend a handful of seasons bouncing up and down the tiers developing your team for a crack at the title.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I sometimes like the challenge of having ~1000TV inducements to play with too. :)

The whole point of the DoD structure is that you start off in bottom tiers with other newish teams (or crappy players :p) and then have your team develop as you rise. The Nobz halted their rise once through the tiers and were initially always the lower TV team in most of the divisions they were in - which was a bonus. When they got to champs they were still in their early 1800s.

I can see the logic of resetting in a flat league structure but the masterfully cunning structure of the DoDs does not quite require that.

G

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Hmm, what are the chances of teams being transferable over to Blood Bowl 2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    FORMAL DECLARATION

Next season I will reboot as Nurgle, there are currently 4 slots filled, I claim the 5th.

WHINY JUSTIFICATION
    The I keep having my elf mans die to Nurgle bastards. So clearly the answer is to become the bastards.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grinn View Post
    The whole point of the DoD structure is that you start off in bottom tiers with other newish teams (or crappy players :p) and then have your team develop as you rise. The Nobz halted their rise once through the tiers and were initially always the lower TV team in most of the divisions they were in - which was a bonus. When they got to champs they were still in their early 1800s.

I can see the logic of resetting in a flat league structure but the masterfully cunning structure of the DoDs does not quite require that.

G
    I also think there needs to be legendary monsters like Grinn (and his orcs) to face once you get to the Champs. Not much of an adventure with no dragon to slay at the end; not much of a Blood Bowl story if it ends with "and then I beat a 1400 TV orc team and an 1150 Dark Elf team and I was the grand champion of blood bowl! - wait, where's everybody gone?"

The Red Skull Reavers reached the Champs, lost every match, crashed out and spiralled down to the letter divisions, and then grimly fought their way back to the champs. Much more satisfying, to me at least, than "and then we all started again with new teams".

Activated Node
    I want to have the dragon to face i have only just joined the league and am looking forwards to trying to slowly break my way up against the stronger players teams and having a few games where certain players from other teams put the fear into me for my next game is exactly what is the thrill of blood bowl in a league. More fun to know of something like a specific blitzer that you know killed a valuable person and attempting to extract vengance.

Glad to be joining in with you guys and looking forwards to everything to come blood sweat tears apothecaries on standby lets start some bloodbowl on wednesday :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My sole reason for playing this chaos team is that I might one day fluke my way into the champs, whereupon I will kill all Grinn's orcs. That is seriously the only reason. I am all about the killing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely up for the challenge of getting to the Champs some day. This was a simple reply to what 20Phoenix said about the TV difference that sometimes occur in the mid-divisions. What I meant was: there is no easy solution to balance those divisions, and that is true. Most likely you need to get bashed down a league at least a couple times in order to get competitive, and it is indeed half the fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the jump is largest between tier 2 and tier 3 to be honest. You can be in tier 3 after 1 season, and if a tier 2 bash team has a couple of bad games then they will drop down. I think in those situations we are relying on either the fresh team to be coached cautiously and (especially if the fresh team has a newbie coach and may not be too expert in keeping his players safe) the bash coach not to be too much of a bastard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    It was always my main concern that a smaller set of tiers would see bigger TV differences, and we are seeing that happen. But inducements are there to fix that problem and I actually enjoy trying out inducements for big TV differences. The higher TV team does not always get the victory (we have evidence from several games here!). Previously, the smaller 100-200 TV differences (and lack of the low-cost star players) meant inducements were deeply uninspiring. 300-400k is usually enough to get one of the good stars for your race, or a chef and fireball either of which genuinely messes with your opponent.

The chief benefits of the new structure are that it's now achievable to get to the champs in (potentially) 4 seasons, rather than the year you would have had to have put in before. I think it makes it a better/more achievable target for the ambitious amongst us. We also get mixed up a lot more and play a wider range of coaches/teams, which is always preferable given our social nature here :-).

I'll concede it can be a bit of a trial by fire for new players in their second season if they had a good run in their very first and go to tier 3. On the other, other hand, if they got promoted in their first season to tier 3, they must be reasonably knowledgeable, right? I know we'd discussed using a 'newbie' division at the bottom, maybe promoting the top 2 at the end of each season? But I haven't seen new players complaining much about their tier 3 experiences?

NEW PLAYERS from the last couple of seasons, what say you? Are tier 3/big TV differences daunting? Or is that one of the reasons you are here, to face off against some nasty teams as quickly as you can?

I got promoted into and won a tier 3 league with some bashed up Delves, Halflings and Gobbos... I can't complain about Tier 3 at all! If I wasn't going to be on holiday for the upcoming season then I'd be proper bricking myself about the promotion to Tier 2 though!!!

The original draw for Div L had be facing some horribly high TV Lizardmen though... that was worrysome... but I think I agree that it's part of the flavour!

edit: Ahah! Okay, so I actually started in Tier 5 and got promoted to Tier 4. In which case, yes, Tier 3 looks scary balls.
    Last edited by Shar_ds; 18-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.

It might be worth instituting some sort of kiddie pool, training ground, newbie zone type division, if we get a season with 4 or more new joiners (or relatively new players who have rebooted). Let them get their first matches in against players of similar skill levels with similar teams. Certainly worth considering.

I'm still happy splashing around in the shallow end till I find a playstyle that appeals [I have high hopes for my necro]... My feeling is that inducements rarely fill the gap between a high TV murder team and a lower TV team. Claw, MB, and Piling on killing a bunch of your guys feels like a loss even if you win the actual game... maybe if the rule to take mercs with chainsaws as star players from your inducements was still around... but yeah, I tent to find the inducement stuff a little over costed and therefore not so great at bridging the gap

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But who has CPOMB players in tier 3?