Page 163 of 366 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 7306
    Whose safety exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Whose safety exactly?
    Not yours! There were other prospective flying flings surrounding you so was a safer handoff in case of a scatter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Grinn wanted a proper report, so here it is.

Dread Pool (DElf, me) vs Rok Ard Nobz (Orc, Grinn)

This is a difficult game to sum up. It was tense from beginning to end, and both Grinn and I were eager to win in order to catch up to Boots' streak in the Championship division.

Last time we faced, Grinn won but my team escaped with their necks. Once again I poured petty cash into the match, taking 2 Babes while allowing Grinn to grab a Wizard. The Babes proved a game changer last time around, I was hoping they would perform again.

The first drive kicks off with the most despicable of misfortunes, as my second runner Hethis Riddle is struck by a thrown rock, breaking his neck (-AG). Since he's been nursing a -MA for about ten seasons, and this is before turn 1 of a match against Grinn's horrors, I had to choose not to spend the Apothecary, effectively bringing his level 5 career to an end.

The dark elves received on the first drive and elected to push hard down the left flank. However the orcs squeezed back and cut it off, forcing the elves to diversify by repositioning to the centre and sending a receiver far up the right side. The orcs ground down on the elves in the centre but a feint back no the left flank almost paid off - but for a GFI that KO'd my runner ball carrier before he could make the decisive pass.

From then the orcs took control, stealing the lose ball and chucking it to Grinn's horrid +ST, +AG blitzer who was waiting far downfield. He fumbled the catch but was still almost out of reach of my players, particularly from my more nuisance blitzers. He was marked up anyway, but my prime witch elf Obsidian was tripped as she moved to blitz him. Without Diving tackle or Shadowing on him, the orc merely had to make a 2+ dodge and 2+ pickup to score, and he made it.

The second drive brought back all my KOs (thanks Babes!) and with 3 turns to equalise, I set up to receive aggressively on my right flank. The orcs staged a perfect defense however, blocking my wing attack with ST4+ bodies. I retrieved the ball and tried to push tot he left instead - however bad block resulted only in my lesser witch elf, downing herself on her blitz. She was shortly gang fouled thereafter and BH. While she would take no further part in the match, my elves somehow managed to hold onto the ball as the orcs brought green bodies to bear on my right flank.

The dark elves found a hole in the centre though, pushing aside a rookie line orc and send players through the gap. My runner stood in the pocket formed, as Obsidian made a mad dash up the sidelines, with the hope that a lack of available orc markers and her Side Step would keep her in play. Grinn tried to knock her down but even his Tackler failed him, so her marked her on both sides and moved more orcs into the path between her and my ball carrier. However Obsidian dodged into the end zone, and my elves pushed enough orcs around to allow my runner to skirt round their main bulk and lob a pass to her - equalising on Turn 8.

The orcs took their one-turn drive after that to bash some elf heads in, KO-ing two blitzers.

Half-Time Score: 1 - 1

The second half began with both those blitzers waking back up (thanks Babes!) and an elf kick. The orcs crowd the LoS again and put down the opposition there, while behind them the orcy cage is formed around the thower with the ball. The dark elves who can, pull back and form an elf screen, which the orcs merrily advance into.

As the bashier orcs are brought to the frontlines, the rear of Grinn's cage is protected by two linemen, neither of whom have block. Obsidian slips through the orc line to blitz one of them down, sidling up to the orc ball carrier with Shadowing and Side Step. She's immediately joined by another Shadowing elf, one of my blitzers.

Grinn goes to great pains to remove the pair, eventually stunning the witch elf and shoving the blitzer away, but they soaked a blitz and halt the cage for a turn. On my next turn, I reinforce with another Shadowing blitzer. The orcs spend another turn consolidating their position, which gives Obsidian time to wake up and harass the carrier yet again. Eventually, they push, stun or KO the insistent dark elves and advance diagonally to their right flank. With the manpower they can spare, they form a screen for the ball carrier while marking as many elves as they can. The +MA,+AG orc blitzer advances to a scoring position in the centre.

However, I can't leave the opporunity alone. One of my Shadowing blitzers weaves through tackle zones, making five dodge rolls to mark the thrower yet again. Obsidian also returns, and presents me with the choice - do I...

• A: park between the rookie black orc and the troll, blocking the thrower's side movement and confident that if they hit her, she'll Side Step right up to the thrower directly?
    • B: tag the unmarked blitzer with her Shadowing skills in case the thower does make a pass?

In the end I chose Option B. With some mildly unfortunate block dice, the orcs failed to remove the elf blitzer from their thrower. Grinn was running out of options and really running out of time, and so he did this:

(courtesy of Grinn TV)

GODAMMIT.

So I had two turns left to equalise and save my championship chances. Things were looking a little grim. And then the orcs' kick results in a blitz. Once again I'd pushed to one flank, and the ball had fallen on the other, exposed flank, and short enough to the LoS for Grinn's mega-blitzer to get underneath it. The one ray of sunshine was that he was isolated - the orc buddy that was coming through to guard him fell over on a GFI.
    My elves tried to capitalise, blitzing the blitzer... but he didn't fall over. :( So I swamp him in Shadowing elves, while my runner hovers hungrily nearby (wringing his hands evilly). Meanwhile Obsidian dodges through the orc ranks again for a catch, but as of right now that looks like a real long shot.

Grinn marks up the witch elf and then tries to push the elves around his carrier back, forcing a pocket of orcs to guard the blitzer inside. However as he tries to dodge away, the carrier stumbles, and the ball bounces free! Grinn immediately pulls the trigger on his Wizard, zapping my witch elf.... who escapes completely unharmed!

On Turn 16 Obsidian scoots to the end zone, and it's a simple matter to push the only orcs next the ball back. My runner takes the ball and chucks it downfield to score!

Full-Time Score: 2 - 2

What a match. Hell of a match. I remarked at the end that my head was spinning, and Grinn said he felt the same. Going back over the replay, he realised the major mistake he'd made in the final turns - losing the ball needlessly, and perhaps costing himself the game. However my game wasn't perfect either, and every turn came loaded with micro-decisions and every call was important.

Also, my team somehow failed to get eviscerated once again! I lost a runner (poor Hethis) and that will be painful to replace, and also one of my blitzers took a MNG. I'm also pretty broke, again. No new runner for a while. However, Obsidian has levelled up once more and should be extra deadly for my match against Boots.

But where does this leave the division?
    • If I beat Boots, I win the Championship.
    • If I draw against Boots, he wins the championship.
    • If I lose, and if Grinn beats President Weasel, then not only do I not win, I'll be relegated!

Exciting stuff.

And apologies to Grinn for still not learning the names of his orcs.
    Last edited by Screwie; 07-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    LOL at that video :-D

Aargh! I was hoping more elves would die than that!

Nice report (and video!) though, sounds like a thrilling game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I'm relegated for sure. Maybe I can put my half-a-team back together in the lower divisions again. Still, it was nice to visit.

Also, that touchdown was ridiculous, what was that, seventeen dodges?

AgP and I are just starting our Div 1 grudge match. Given he beat me 4-1 last time something's gotta happen this time, be it another thrashing or several cases of dismemberment.

2-1 for chadsexington's 50 Shades of Beard against my HavOrcs in division H.

Not much to say, the better player won. My lack of experience becomes quite obvious this season :)
    GG, mate. Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I'm relegated for sure. Maybe I can put my half-a-team back together in the lower divisions again. Still, it was nice to visit.

Also, that touchdown was ridiculous, what was that, seventeen dodges?
    Those weren't dodges, my good prez, those were orcs ignoring pansy elves shadow-dancing behind their arses in a vague attempt to seem threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Grinn wanted a proper report, so here it is.
    GREAT report Screwie! Thanks for that. You played a great game. In the last turn I FIRST zapped the witch elf, which failed, then attacked her with Slaxx, my tackling blitzer, who failed his 2d block AND I crowded her with two players. So the last TD was even more dramatic than you describe!

And yeah, I should have left Ingvi Gobsteel (the +S blitzer) where he was. You might have managed a 1D block but it would have taken quite a few more die-rolls. Oh well. Last turn second stress decision.

Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Havocc View Post
    2-1 for chadsexington's 50 Shades of Beard against my HavOrcs in division H.

Not much to say, the better player won. My lack of experience becomes quite obvious this season :)
    GG, mate. Well played!
    Nah, don't be so hard on yourself. I barely made the winning TD on turn 16 with 3 GFI ;)

You played a good game and it could have gone either way.

Thanks for the game

Um, so i've tried adding Deesno on steam in order to play our game, as well as leaving a post here as well as on our divisions message box dealy. I'm not sure where you are Deesno, but you've made not a whole lot of effort in trying to contact me and steam says you've been offline for ten days now. What's up buddy?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grinn View Post
    Those weren't dodges, my good prez, those were orcs ignoring pansy elves shadow-dancing behind their arses in a vague attempt to seem threatening.
    Although, technically, they were still dodges :P

Curse those AG4 orcs!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Exciting times in the Champs division, it seems! Wait until I get up there again! (NB. You may be waiting some time)

Additionally, there's only 3 days to go until the end of week 2 and the sheet is looking worrying incomplete. Either:

1. Put your scores in from your game RIGHT NOW, to avoid the infamous acid brick castration

OR

2. Get your game played in the next 3 days, then fill in the sheet afterwards

OR

3. Grovel to me if you need an extension beyond Thurs because of your inability to be organised you vile wretch

If you haven't completed any of the above by late Thursday night, your game will be defaulted based on evidence in the RPS groups, you have been warned (as usual!)

Something seems to have gone wrong with our usual good cop/bad cop dynamic, so I will try to fulfil my unexpected role here and say "HAY GUYS IT IS SURE GREAT HAVING SO MANY PEOPLE TO PLAY BLOOD BOWL WITH".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Weasel, you are about as credible a "good cop" as ED-209 in a Santa hat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    ENJOY YOURSELVES! YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COMPLY!

​allcaps

I am outside my comfort zone here, but I am trying my best.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    ENJOY YOURSELVES! YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COMPLY!

​allcaps
    He didn't hear it! He didn't hear the party popper!
    Last edited by President Weasel; 08-07-2013 at 04:18 PM.

I would blame the very sunny weather. :P
    Steam: Darkmalice (the evil smiley one)
    Planetside 2 (TR): IronShroud
    Life is Fedual server: Life is Pain [Dedicated]

holy moly that video was awesome! does anyone have rotekians actual steamid for purposes of adding him to play my div e dod match