Page 228 of 361 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 7204
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    The Chaos minotaur is not necessary on a team with 4 strongdudes and a bunch of beasts who are competing for the single blitz.
    The Chaos Dwarf minotaur is objectively worse (mutation access on a double) but subjectively better in that it's more different to the rest of the players on the team than the Chaos one is, therefore it brings more to the side than the Chaos one does.

On the other hand, it's still bloat and it's still a turnover generator. A well handled wall of guard dwarfs might be better off without him rather than giving the opposition a wizard.
    On the other other hand (extra arms) if you don't field the Chorf mino you're forced to field another fragile hobbler, and you want to keep their numbers down to 'the one who handles the ball' and 'the cheap one who does the fouls' if you can.

I still mourn my ridiculous 3 doubles in a row, dead the next game mino from my RPS Open Chorf team. He was too beautiful to live.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphatty View Post
    I'd be lost without my AG4 runner - that's for sure - it might not be especially desirable on a Norse lino - but having options when shit falls apart is always desirable.
    Which is does, reliably...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just think as late game chaos you are giving away all the inducements that anyone could ever possibly want anyway. I regularly play 2300TV+ chaos teams which don't have minotaurs. At that stage I would take the 90TV hit of taking a mino over a beastman any day of the week.

Even if you just plonk him marking someone big (flesh golem, nurgle warrior etc) he's no worse at it than the beastman would have been and you might even kill the fucker.

Chaos dwarf teams however are monstrously TV efficient and the mino kind of spoils that a bit.

I had a wrestle ghoul who rolled Ag4 on my Necro team - initially I was annoyed but he actually made an awesomely effective safety player. There's lots of handy skills you can take for that role in the general tree (tackle, strip ball, sure hands, wrestle, dauntless, pass block), I'd be tempted to look after him carefully rather than throwing him about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But necro are not so TV-inefficient nor reliant on having bribes and babes available. Stat boosts on necro are fine - not so on norse.

I've always felt Necro are pretty bloaty, though others have told me they're not (grass is always greener I guess). Either way for my money Ag4 is hard to pass up on a non-elf team, it just makes everything so much easier.

Necro and Undead are both quite TV efficient teams mainly due to the cheap but effective fodder they are provided with. The point it all tends to fall apart for those teams is when your zombies have more SPP than your positionals due to deaths......

Zombies are great, but they're only 10k cheaper than most linemen and are categorically worse if they roll a double or stat. A guard human lino is a useful and flexible asset, a guard zombie's too good to get rid of but still a bit slow and rubbish. Forces you to focus on the positionals even more than most other teams, making the inevitable casualties all the more painful to deal with.

Undead have it a little easier in that regard, a full set of positionals comes in at 80k cheaper than Necro while arguably being no weaker in the long run. Altogether my Necro seem to be at their peak around 1650-1750TV, anything more than that and it tends to be diminishing returns compared to inducements.

Obscure Node
    Hey guys! I was just checking in to get some information. I figure this is the best place to do it since I can't start a new topic yet.

I was on BBTactics looking up leagues and one of the members pointed me over to DoD and it sounded like an interesting concept. I'm just looking for a league that's not serious where I can play matches and have fun. I'm not a very competitive coach in the sense that fun trumps winning. Doesn't mean I don't try and win, but I've noticed a lot of other leagues are very regimented and it's a little bit intimidating.

How is the environment here? Would an unskilled, fun loving coach like me fit in here? I really like the idea of short seasons and am curious to give it a shot. My only concern is that I'm US based and the community here seems to be mainly EU based.

Hey boss people - I took care of rolling on Div I - since I have a filler team in it ... and I wanted to press the buttons of power!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hi Breidr

I hope you would have fun here - the league is much less onerous than some of the larger online leagues in terms of schedule, and with the added bonus that if you ask nicely you can SOMETIMES get an extension. The standard of games varies from medium to high level, so while you won't come up against an absolute newbie, you would hopefully get a mix of roll-the-bones nonsense plus the odd tense tactical duel.

In terms of being welcoming I would hope you would find us a relatively friendly bunch in a kind of reserved, British way. Except Weasel when he's cross with people for not playing their games on time. Or Helio. Watch out for that guy.

We are very euro-centric, and so I guess the issue for scheduling is how often you can do mutually-agreeable times such as the middle of the day on your weekends. Otherwise it can be harder here to schedule your games. Conversely in the bigger more structured leagues where there are no extensions and people who don't play their games on time get thrown out, then people are more willing to make sacrifices to find convenient times where timezones clash.

We have about 10 days left in our current season. Do please feel free to add your name for next season if you fancy some games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The bad news is that my Grimstone Greybeards just suffered their very first defeat by smaug's scary Nurgle. The good news is that at least one of the top scoring Pestigors bit the nurgle-infested dust.

0-1 in a game marked by red skulls and failed passes and dodges to the Irrelevant Illness.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    I'll give it a go, what's the worst that could happen. I recently found the old spreadsheets for my first Blood Bowl team. I may bring them back for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    I used to think the chaos minotaur was great. Then I got better at the game and realised it was terrible. Now I think it's fine and would always take it.

Not sure whether this means that I have achieved an even better zen-like understanding of the game, or whether I have regressed to my earlier uurrggh-smash phase.
    I have Mino's on both my Cdorfs and Chaos I know they aren't very good value for the TV. I know they are unreliable and will either turn over or just stand around scratching their ass. I know they are ridiculously fragile for a Str 5 player (I've had 3 die this season so far in the open). But I just can't turn down a player that violent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Breidr View Post
    I'll give it a go, what's the worst that could happen. I recently found the old spreadsheets for my first Blood Bowl team. I may bring them back for this.
    I'm pretty sure you just mean recreating them, but to clarify just in case, you can only join the DoD with a newly created, no games played team.

Welcome aboard!

Network Hub
    Near Chicago, IL in the United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    Hi Limdood and welcome. That is the correct link, so if you can't see the tabs at the bottom (they go FAQ, Season Info, Table, Fixtures & Results...) sounds like your browser isn't opening the google document properly. Do you know what browser you are using? I tend to have lots of Javascript blocked on Firefox so use Opera to open the spreadsheet.
    ah, ok. I was unfamiliar with google documents. Apparently the document i thought was a FAQ was merely the FAQ tab of a larger document, and instead of looking at the bottom of the screen, i SCROLLED down to find the new tabs.

I have now overcome that mighty obstacle, and will probably toss in a team
    Last edited by Limdood; 24-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breidr View Post
    Welcome Briedr! Just thought I should chip in and say I'm also EST and generally have no problem hooking up with this bunch time wise. Although I work nights so that makes it a bit easier for me - but either way its definitely less of a headache than OCC scheduling is sometimes.

Welcome aboard, always nice to lose to new people ;)
    Steam: Darkmalice (the evil smiley one)
    Planetside 2 (TR): IronShroud
    Check my YouTube Channel here

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    I'm pretty sure you just mean recreating them, but to clarify just in case, you can only join the DoD with a newly created, no games played team.

Welcome aboard!
    Yes, of course! I's a fresh TV1000 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmalice View Post
    Welcome aboard, always nice to lose to new people ;)
    Always nice to see some positivism :P.