Page 245 of 356 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247255295345 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,900 of 7119
    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    I would prefer not to default a champs match if we can help it, so as long as the other champs guys aren't going to be too messed up, I'd prefer to extend until Weds. Same goes for the other game in H as well. Everyone else should be organising their second week's games!
    Thanks Groovy, we really did try our best to get the match in - but are both in precarious circumstances. My orcs were at an all-you-can-eat retreat in Athel Loren and have not yet returned from the elf-munch fest. Nie's team refuses to train till they have a new mascot and the team ghouls are diligently digging up graves to find one.

After much re-shuffling of schedules we managed to sit down to play and got the royal Cyanide finger. It would suck to open the Champs with a default - so appreciate the extension (ie come here crunchy dead people).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Speaking as a Champs guy, I am cool with an extension. I can't do Thursday or Friday but I have hells of time over the weekend and the rest of next week, so I ought to be able to get my game done in a squeezed next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    (I lost though - 400 TV deficit against the feckin' chaos dwarves. At least no-one died!)
    Not only that, no one even close to died. Two unused apothecaries mocking my chaos dwarves pillow hands
    Last edited by chadsexington; 22-10-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks for the extension guys.

In a bloody match which resulted in the death of Dog Pants' looney, a pogoer who couldn't and a surfed Witch Elf, the Mercian All-Stars offended nuffle the least and won 1-2.

Sheet updated.

Dog Pants - thanks for the game!

Thanks for the extension, Grinn and I are done - champs can be rolled on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Thanks for the extension, Grinn and I are done - champs can be rolled on.
    The modesty! Tell us how you beat Grinn :D

I need to pick myself up off the floor first, not to mention finish burying the (re-)dead.

I need to pick myself up off the floor first, not to mention finish burying the (re-)dead.
    All I need to know is if there were any injuries? The bloodier the better....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    So you beat Grinn eh? Very interesting. Very interesting indeed...

I have no idea what this actually means for the division, I am just trying to sound calculating and vaguely sinister

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    So you beat Grinn eh? Very interesting. Very interesting indeed...

I have no idea what this actually means for the division, I am just trying to sound calculating and vaguely sinister
    It means that whomever wins out of you and NieA7 in week 2 is in a very good position to take the Championship...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Anyone know a good way to contact BigC?

Can we have a validation for our late Div H game please?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Done and rolled on.

PM'd chap sorry for the delay (50+ hour week this week)

So!

Champs: Read in Tooth and Claw (me, Necro) vs. Rok Ard Nobz (Grinn, Orc)

The Nobz were giving away a mighty 450TV: my go-to choice in all situations is a wizard, but after that then what? Nekbrekerekh is a great star but ST4/AV8 didn't feel like it would stand up to the onslaught. A few more zombies to fill the roster are always welcome but the Nobz play long, grinding drives so having a deep bench is only so useful. Bribes are handy but you need lots of assists to hurt an Orc. No, what we need is maneuverability, strength and hitting power. What we need is a big ****-off mummy: Ramtut III, your ST6 and AV9 might just be enough to stay alive, and break tackle at strength 6 is brown trouser time for even full cages.

The Nobz won the toss and chose to kick, doubtless planning on murdering dead people. Claw set up heavily to the left but the kick was greeted by a riot that completely flattened the right side of the Nobz defense. Claw piled diagonally across the field, but a failed GFI ate the re-roll, then a wolf dropped the ball on a hand off leaving it next to the bemused troll. The orcs swept in and grabbed it, but with half of them still recovering from the riot there weren't enough left to form a cage. While a golem and wolf sprinted down the left the other wolf blitzed in and downed the carrier, allowing the Ag4 wight to grab the ball and pass it to the escaping wolf.

Except the ball didn't get that far because a black orc next to a zombie and the other wight made the interception.

The orcs quickly caged up on their side of the scrimmage. Having done this, the Nobz... pretty much stayed there for the rest of the half. Time and again the dead men would hurl themselves at the orcs, every time getting thrown back in return. However just as Claw couldn't get to the ball so the Nobz couldn't get past the wall of undead, despite first jinking to the right then switching to the left. In the melee one of the Nobz blitzers picked up a smashed hand and the stat freak Ingvi (7/4/4/9!) was knocked out, while for Claw long-serving wight Ivan the Hunter met his second end at the hands of a lineorc. The orcs had an outside chance at the end of the half to pull ahead, with the Ag4 thrower double marked but within reach of the end zone, but the opening block came up double skulls so that was that - 0-0 at half time.

Ingvi remained asleep, making it 11 dead v 10 orcs for the second half with the Nobz receiving. The ball landed very short on the right leaving half the orcs out of position. The thrower safely recovered it, but the back right corner of the cage was left open - a wolf could just reach it for a one dice hit on the carrier, although it'd leave him dangerously out of position and surrounded by angry greenskins...
    But sometimes you've gotta go for it anyway!

Running in like a hero (albeit a slightly gimped AV7 hero) Chesko successfully downed the thrower, though the ball ended up covered by three Nobz stymieing any chance of a sneaky grab. Sure enough one of the killer blitzers pounced on Chesko, but despite re-rolling the two dice block the best he could get was a both down. The nearby black orc tried his luck, but the pushback allowed the sidestepping wolf to almost get within reach of the ball making any further hits on him too dangerous. The thrower scrambled to his feet and recovered the ball, but with three orcs stuck next to Chesko this time the cage had a tiny opening on the left. It was risky though: the unskilled golem would need make a two dice block to push the corner out the way, and even then it'd only be a one dice hit that'd leave the other wolf surrounded by angry greenskins...

Frank successfully downed the cage corner he was next to, letting Fido get his hit on the thrower. The first push was rerolled but came up push again, making the frenzied follow up two against. Undaunted, this time the dice came up pow and stumble, downing the thrower once again. The ball bounced madly between various orcs and zombies before coming to a rest at the edge of the scrum towards the left side of the field. With no re-rolls left for the turn Claw threw caution to the wind: a ghoul ran in, picked up the ball under the black orc's nose and dodged away, while Chesko escaped from his tackling markers and ran over to screen him. The Nobz response was as predictable as it was furious, with a zombie killed and Fido badly hurt in their rage. Smelling a touchdown while simultaneously sensing their imminent demise Claw did the only thing they could: run as far away as possible. Chesko and the ghoul rushed down the flank, while the rest of the team shambled forward and marked as many orcs as they could reach. It was nearly enough, but not quite: three orcs ran back and marked Chesko as a downed blitzer jumped up, dodged away from his marker (eating a team re-roll), made the GFI needed to get a one dice hit on the carrier and... rolled both down. Protected by block the ghoul stayed on his feet, which was all the opportunity he needed to dodge away and score as fast as he could: 1-0 to Claw on turn 12.

Ingvi stayed sound asleep making it 11 v 10 again, but the Nobz quickly KO'd a zombie to even the numbers. The ball went deep but was successfully recovered by the thrower, who was promptly caged by most of the Nobz. A blitzer and lineorc made a deep break down the left but were quickly surrounded and downed by a necro hit-team, as the rest of Claw screened off the cage. The orcs ground forward a few more squares as the other blitzer made a break down the right, but Chesko quickly switched sides and flattened this new threat. With another zombie injured the screen was dangerously thin by now, and with the clock running down the Nobz decided it was time to act. A black orc blitzed down the zombie in front of the cage as the rest of the Nobz marked up. The downed blitzer jumped up, dodged away from his markers and ran into the end zone as the veteran thrower Bo-No made a dash forward ready to pass. Despite his MA7 it was still a long pass, but with Ag4, accurate and pass how hard could it be? Too hard as it turned out: an inaccurate throw was re-rolled to a fumble, leaving the ball at his feet with no-one nearby to help him. He was immediately blitzed down and double marked, with the ball being triple marked between Ramtut, Chesko and the ghoul. Any last hopes for a touchdown were dashed when the wily old pro Ramtut managed to bounce the ball to Fido as he was pushed on to it. After the wolf making the catch the game was effectively over, with just enough time left for the Nobz to smash the ribs of a nearby zombie: 1-0 to Claw at full time.

In a game where both coach's dice were sub-par overall what made the difference was the run of luck I had for my touchdown. Grinn defended like a pro in the first half (I never even got close to getting a hit on the carrier after he caged) but the price of that was not being able to score a defensive touchdown and crucially not being as bashy as the Nobz usually are. Taking out two of the Nobz blitzers had a dramatic effect on the rest of the game: without their speed the orcs advance slowed to a crawl in the second half, first allowing the ghoul to escape, then spoiling any chance for an equalizer. Ramtut didn't do much throughout the game but provided an excellent threat-in-being, constantly tying up one or two orcs. I was lucky to get away with only a badly hurt after diving into Grinn's wolf traps twice, but if you're not going to go for it in the champs you never will. This win makes Claw and the Nobz even over their five games, with two wins apiece and one draw, but with the casualties 5-23 in favor of the Nobz I really hope we never get a tie-breaker.
    Last edited by NieA7; 23-10-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    In a post-midnight pre-con match, a combination of Dwarf, Nuffle and simple bad luck happened to Ethelred's dark elves in Division H for a 2 to 1 that was never really in question. The elves failed dodge rolls, decent kicks, ran into a full guarded perfect defense, an eagle-eyed ref and more dodge fails.

Cheers for the match Ethelred!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So!
    but the back right corner of the cage was left open - a wolf could just reach it for a one dice hit on the carrier, although it'd leave him dangerously out of position and surrounded by angry greenskins...

Running in like a hero (albeit a slightly gimped AV7 hero) Chesko successfully downed the thrower, though the ball ended up covered by three Nobz stymieing any chance of a sneaky grab. Sure enough one of the killer blitzers pounced on Chesko, but despite re-rolling the two dice block the best he could get was a both down. The nearby black orc tried his luck, but the pushback allowed the sidestepping wolf to almost get within reach of the ball making any further hits on him too dangerous. The thrower scrambled to his feet and recovered the ball, but with three orcs stuck next to Chesko this time the cage had a tiny opening on the left. It was risky though: the unskilled golem would need make a two dice block to push the corner out the way, and even then it'd only be a one dice hit that'd leave the other wolf surrounded by angry greenskins...

With no re-rolls left for the turn Claw threw caution to the wind: a ghoul ran in, picked up the ball under the black orc's nose and dodged away, while Chesko escaped from his tackling markers and ran over to screen him.
    I honestly had to double check that I hadn't written this match report. Did you correctly declare "Elfball" before all of these attempts? I'm glad the spirit, if not the actual team, of the Altdorf Army is in the Champs.

So!

Champs: Read in Tooth and Claw (me, Necro) vs. Rok Ard Nobz (Grinn, Orc)

Great report for a great game Nie! Although I feel you underplayed Tank-Tut's involvement. His break tackling stickiness combined with golem stuckness and lack of blitzers were as influential on the result as the missing two blitzers. I moved left and right to try and get around them but the vertical wall you erected with them really made it risky for me to attempt the TD in the first half. I would have gone for a riskier attack but that would have meant you getting a TD late in the half and me not being able to equalize. And the two blitzers out meant that I couldnt both cover my defence and attack.

The second half was just a great big Nuffling for me. The traps I laid had 6 to 8 block dice at their disposal needing a single 5,6 - twice! The fumbled 3+ sure hands throw was another severe nuffling for us. And the nail in the coffin was Ingvi sleeping throughout the whole match.

Things just got dire for the Nobz chances of a seventh title...

Do you play Blood Bowl? Do you like death, death, abject failure and more death? Then you should totally apply to the Gauntlin Goblet, who've found themselves suddenly short of a team and need another sacrifice pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hutton View Post
    Did you correctly declare "Elfball" before all of these attempts?
    I didn't feel punching anything was very elfy so the wolves just ran in screaming, but the ghoul took the time to yell "CHARGE!" before attempting the almost-certain-failure 3+ dodge before the touchdown at least.

Quote Originally Posted by grinn View Post
    Although I feel you underplayed Tank-Tut's involvement. His break tackling stickiness combined with golem stuckness and lack of blitzers were as influential on the result as the missing two blitzers.
    Interesting you should say that. I hired him to be an active threat, using break tackle to bust into cages and such. As the game played out he filled a very passive role instead, with the wolves doing most the blitzing - it felt like he wasn't doing my for me, but then I couldn't really see all the stuff he was stopping you from doing. Didn't seem right taking him instead of a wizard, but I think it was a good choice as it turned out.
    Last edited by NieA7; 24-10-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Activated Node
    Just finished my game against Dog Pants. It ended 1-1, but a series of blocks on my ball carrier [a couble 3 against and a 2 against] put me in the position of not scoring although I had numerical superiority. Good game by Dog Pants!

And now we wait for Div H's validations *wink wink*