Page 275 of 367 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285325 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 7338
    Nope, they've been fully inactive. When I popped on to check the TV I realised I hadn't even dealt with levels my players got after my last DoD match, in fact.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone with the current season.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well that'll be fine then. See you next season old boy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Sp Frenzorz and me kicked off Div G yesternight with a TV difference of 630 inducements going to the Undead, who purchased a lot of useless things like Count Luthor, a reroll and a bribe.

My dwarves failed to use their skill advantage big time and sought to pummel the opponent whenever possible. Some ball trading back and forth on both drives, but in the end there was a fairly uneventful and unspectacular (apart from a Dwarf to Dwarf long bomb that the receiving dwarf blocker surprisingly failed to catch) match ending 1-1 without any major injuries.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Spot the n00b. I had a look in that spreadsheet but didn't see my name in any league, so assumed I'd missed a boat. Just logged in to the game though and what do you know? I've applied to join the Div G group, but how would you chaps rather communicate? Through there or steam?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sphericalboy View Post
    I've applied to join the Div G group, but how would you chaps rather communicate? Through there or steam?
    You can find most players on Steam - there's a SteamID on the spreadsheet. Just add them.

Officially, matchmaking is supposed to happen in the Groups Of Death http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php which you need to sign up for and head to your group's thread. In case you arrange a match and your opponent doesn't show and the admin are looking for someone to blame, they check the group to see who made more effort arranging a match.

Additionally, private messages via the forum work like a charm.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One other thing, sphericalboy, is that unlike in public leagues, private league matches need to be "validated" by an admin before you get your winnings and SPP. This will happen in its own time (!), but if you are impatient then contact one of the admins via steam and grovel like a good'un. I'm normally happy to do this if you drop me a PM.

Ta. I've signed up for that Group of Death and found one of the players on steam. Will wait to hear from folks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo View Post
    Oh shards I forgot Helio killed my MB/Claw beastman...that bastard
    Maybe consider block or wrestle in the future. :)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You don't want block or wrestle on a killer beastman.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    You don't want block or wrestle on a killed beastman.
    FTFY10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    You don't want block or wrestle on a killer beastman.
    I'm interested to hear why, actually. I would have imagined Block is pretty essential.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    At high TV most of the players you will be hitting will already have block, so it doesn't help you kill things - it's mainly for defence.

Skill progression should be something like:

MB > claw > piling on > tackle > frenzy > juggernaught

You would probably also take jump up on a double. Some people take block a bit later, after tackle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I'm interested to hear why, actually. I would have imagined Block is pretty essential.
    No, no: killer beastmen are dangerous, so you want to make sure to give your opponent a 75% chance of knocking them down on a 2D block for fairness. Not to mention the 4x higher risk of turnovers!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    MB > claw >
    Hi there FTFY.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    No, no: killer beastmen are dangerous, so you want to make sure to give your opponent a 75% chance of knocking them down on a 2D block for fairness. Not to mention the 4x higher risk of turnovers!
    But you shouldn't give away a blitz on your killer chaos beast. You should protect him. Chaos are strong and resilient enough to do that. Positioning!

As for turnovers - well that's what rerolls are for! What the hell else are you going to use your rerolls on? You aren't passing, you shouldn't be dodging, you shouldn't be GFI-ing. 1/81 chance of a quad skulls is acceptable odds imo.

But you shouldn't give away a blitz on your killer chaos beast. You should protect him. Chaos are strong and resilient enough to do that. Positioning!

As for turnovers - well that's what rerolls are for! What the hell else are you going to use your rerolls on? You aren't passing, you shouldn't be dodging, you shouldn't be GFI-ing. 1/81 chance of a quad skulls is acceptable odds imo.
    You re describing ideal situations... which one can engineer for parts of matches but surely not whole matches. Not having block on someone that blocks and is blocked constantly is just silly. Turnovers on both downs, defending your little man and the simple fact there are still several players on most teams from champs all the way down that dont have block which are prime targets to maximize removal of players for such killers.

E- You fail your bloodbowl exam mr Blue

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The "no block beastman" is not a thing that I invented. It is a standard build for chaos and nurgle teams.

And your killer does not block. He virtually never blocks. He blitzes. Entirely different tactically - you get one blitz per turn and you need it to hit like an absolute truck.

The RPS DoD is different to most leagues in that it's incredibly bashy. Lots of the old elf teams have rerolled, leaving Janek, Grinn and Weasel to dominate the league, beating up the rerollers. It is by far the most lopsided league that I am involved in (I play in 5 leagues) with old, developed bash teams beating the crap out of relatively new hybrid and elf teams. In the DoD I can see you might want block, because as you say there will always be noobs to kill.

My old tier 1 OCC high elf team had 13 or 14 players, all of whom had block or wrestle. Top elf teams over there have 8 to 10 blodgers (I had 9 at one stage). EDIT - I don't mean that as a criticism, simply that it takes at least 50 games to hit the top tier assuming first time promotions, so all the teams at the top are well developed.
    Last edited by Everblue; 10-01-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    What you're saying makes total sense.

But I'd still take block.

Network Hub
    Near Chicago, IL in the United States of America
    I'm agreeing with EB here, on the occasion that I DO play chaos, beastmen get MB/Claw/PO, THEN either tackle/frenzy/juggernaut/block....I'll only take block if I've got more than one MB/Claw/PO beast, and the one with block is the one that stands directly between 2 Guard CWs (preferably one with DT) and next to an opposing player....just so that I get both the "hit like a truck" blitz AND I might get a MB/Claw/PO block unless the opponent is smart and risks the DT dodge (ground doesn't have MB or claw....or PO for that matter).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    The RPS DoD is different to most leagues in that it's incredibly bashy. Lots of the old elf teams have rerolled, leaving Janek, Grinn and Weasel to dominate the league, beating up the rerollers. It is by far the most lopsided league that I am involved in (I play in 5 leagues) with old, developed bash teams beating the crap out of relatively new hybrid and elf teams. In the DoD I can see you might want block, because as you say there will always be noobs to kill.
    I see where Everblue is coming from, but I feel the above is a key point. Every league is its own environment and what worked for EB elsewhere might not be the best choice given the DoD's trend.

I think going without Block in our metagame is only going to hamper a killer piece. At the very least, I'd pick up Juggernaut way earlier in that skill list.