Page 28 of 322 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    True, however your level 6/5 etc guys will give you the advantage, plus you know having double the movement helps haha

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    You're playing dwarfs....
    I did warn him. He knew best.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    As with other skills, you can choose whether to make it optional or not in the game settings. A word of warning to all who've not yet realised - chaos edition resets all your optional skills! I watched a nasty game earlier this week where poor BigC was forced to use multiple block on his mummy when blocking a minotaur. Not fun!
    Mmmm yes. Luckily I caught onto this pretty quickly, won't make the same mistake twice though! /changes settings back to normal!

Division J

The New Wave (Elf, Everblue) 1 vs 2 Heroes of Holmgard (Norse, Frenz0rz)

Everblue played well - I can't stress that enough. For a fresh Elf team comprised of eight linemen, two blitzers and a thrower, he put up a damn good fight against my equally fresh Norse lads.

The Elves win the toss, and recieve. A riot ensues and the ref moves the clock forward. They are initially cautious; the thrower recieves in the back field and they hold their ground after the initial LoS push, as if daring my Norse to commit to the melee. The Norse hesitantly move their formation forward after a short blitz, and await the Elf response. A few more punches, a reroll is used. An Elf lineman goes to dodge away from an Berserker and - disaster! - trips over. The Norse seize the initiative and charge the backfield, knocking the ball carrier to the floor.

However, I had overcommitted. The ball is scooped up a turn later from the backfield by the very elf who'd dropped it, passed to another in the centre and, a few prods and pushes later, he is away through a small gap in my lines. A scrabble ensues for a couple more turns, but Elves hold fast and the TD is made.

1-0 The New Wave

The Norse set up to recieve. A blitz! A few blocks on the LoS and an elf lineman tries to sprint up to the ball which is deep in the Norse half, but again trips over. The Norse move up the right flank in hopes of setting up a loose screen, but in the final action of the turn, the thrower fails to pick the ball up. The elf lineman gets up again, moves into the thrower's tackle zone and picks up the ball. He dodges out successfully, sprints toward the endzone - and trips over AGAIN! The Norse thrower then succeeds in picking the ball up, hurls it up the pitch to a runner, who then fumbles it. The Elf team tries to capitalise but are forcibly removed from the vicinity of the ball by an angry berserker. It is then picked up by a runner, sprinted up the pitch on a double GFI and handed off into the safe clutches of an ulfwerener, who runs it in to score on another double GFI. On turn 8. Phew.

1-1 Half time

Most notably, despite a huge number of successful blocks for the Norse team - and a not inconsiderable number from the Elves - there have been only stuns so far. This will change in the second half.

The Norse recieve, and after a hand off and a throw manage to drive a runner up the far right of the pitch with a screen of two ulfwereners and two lineman. The runner is within scoring distance for next turn. At this point, all but three Elves are now either on the floor or committed to melee. Everblue makes a valiant effort, but a few (more) unlucky rolls give no joy, and the first casualty is made from an ulfwerener's block to an Elf lineman who is badly hurt. Another turn, and the runner scores relatively unchallenged.

2-1 Heroes of Holmgard

The Elves have a difficult path ahead of them. The thrower recieves the ball and again sits in the backfield, while the rest of the team make probing efforts to find a way through the Norse defence. For a while it looks like they may have the upper hand, with multiple Norsemen beaten to the ground, but the Norse soon come back and the Elf thrower is pressured by an ulfwerener rapidly charging him down. The ulfwerener is then tied up with a blitzer and the Elves take one last shot at forcing their way down their left flank.

A lineman makes a break for the end zone, the thrower lobs it - but the pass is off. Both teams scrabble for the ball, and the game eventually descends into a sordid melee in which one Elf lineman is KOed, two more are badly hurt, and another trips over and dies whilst trying to escape the carnage. The rest of the team wisely decide to remain prone as a Norse runner tries a final sprint with the ball to the end zone, and fails on the second GFI. A couple of Elves get up, punch a berserker in the face, and the game ends.

Well played though, Everblue. You played to your team's strengths, and it would've gone a lot smoother if you had a bit of dodge on your players. I admit had a fair degree of luck when it came to block rolls, and even better luck when it came to injuries. However, for a game comprised almost entirely of AV7 players, the result could have been a lot worse than one death and no permanent injuries.

Edit: I almost forgot, Everblue's MVP went to the dead lineman :(
    Last edited by frenz0rz; 31-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Well my Norse got thrashed by Nuffle and Heliocentric's damn elves. A critical early casualty, player ineptitude and Nuffle ensured that it was not a good match for me. The highlights include Heliocentric using his apothecary on turn 14 to re-roll a KO even though I am allegedly a bashy team and my Berserker splattering his ball carrier on the line and failing to pick up the ball only to see it bounce into the waiting arms of a random elf standing behind my touchline resulting in an elf TD on my own turn (and the very last turn of the game).

Not a very fun game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    my Berserker splattering his ball carrier on the line and failing to pick up the ball only to see it bounce into the waiting arms of a random elf standing behind my touchline resulting in an elf TD on my own turn (and the very last turn of the game).
    You got 2 turn 16's and I didn't get one :'( I also killed a Norseman ^_^ I'm too tired to do a proper write up.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 31-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I played cyberpunks gobbos (DIV J) tonight, and there are but a few highlights.

first - the nuffling ended up being strong, despite the obvious matchup problems (dwarf v gobbo)
    second - A Troll ATE a goblin in a throw attempt. First time for me, it was brilliant. Would eat again.
    third - My second dwarf leveled. My first one was rolled back along with the match last season as it was late to submission. This one was killed by the crowd. Damnit.

At any rate, Cyber took another beating. Here's hoping he rolls into a race that doesn't invite a thrashing so quickly ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    Some words
    Cheers for the match. I enjoyed it, and could even have got a draw if it wasn't for your ball-playing werewolf's heroics in the first half.

The MVP going to Alison Moyet (RIP) was a bit annoying, true, but Neil Tennant levelled up with a TD and three completions, so now I have at least one player with dodge! Roll on the chaos dwarves - I might even have enough inducements for Morg!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    ... my Berserker splattering his ball carrier on the line and failing to pick up the ball only to see it bounce into the waiting arms of a random elf standing behind my touchline resulting in an elf TD on my own turn (and the very last turn of the game).
    Glorious elfery!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You got 2 turn 16's and I didn't get one :'( I also killed a Norseman ^_^ I'm too tired to do a proper write up.
    Also nice to find another aspect of the Cyanide game which fails to keep with the CRP. :P

(What should have happened was Helio's turn tracker should have advanced 1 after the TD (so in this case, simply ending the match) before kicking off again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Cheers for the match. I enjoyed it, and could even have got a draw if it wasn't for your ball-playing werewolf's heroics in the first half.

The MVP going to Alison Moyet (RIP) was a bit annoying, true, but Neil Tennant levelled up with a TD and three completions, so now I have at least one player with dodge! Roll on the chaos dwarves - I might even have enough inducements for Morg!
    I spectated that match, was VERY entertaining to watch, though noone deserves for the MVP to go to a dead player, thats just annoying.

Still, having said that it was a very good game to watch and at the end of the first half it couldve went either way. good fun :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Arrgh! I didn't know anyone was watching otherwise I'd have fouled a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Arrgh! I didn't know anyone was watching otherwise I'd have fouled a bit.
    You don't know how tempting it was to foul the hell out of your team. That sweet, sweet crunch of elf 'neath studded boot. I held myself back though, as even one or two sent off players could have tipped the balance considerably in your favour. An open pitch is not what you want against an elf team.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Are we underway yet? Yes? Might as well get round to organising my match, then. >.>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    We've been underway for about a week! There was a post and everything...

Can an admin roll on Division A in time for the weekend, please? The extra days would be useful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Are the matches done?

Look, I know I can be flaky sometimes, but you can check the spreadsheet if you want to make sure :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    GOTS ta GET MA KHEMRI PUNCH ON BRO

ahem

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Can an admin roll on Division A in time for the weekend, please? The extra days would be useful.
    Sorted boss.

Thank you Z!