Page 288 of 367 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,760 of 7328
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hello there

Network Hub
    Near Chicago, IL in the United States of America
    and my team isn't developed enough yet for me to care if they live or die. Heck, if the team dies in game 1, i get to run with all loners and i can drop my rerolls and apo as well, then i'll REALLY have some fun inducements!
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/limdoods...-wisdom-t3292/ - My collection of articles on various tactical and strategic concepts in Blood Bowl. Enjoy!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Speaking of this round, I played the ridiculous stat freak skinks of Wink in the last game in the Champs...
    Watched the game. Brutal. People really should foul you more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    A bit of that, and a bit of 'it turns out I am not very good at elves'.
    Being good at elves is a bit like being good at being a banker.

If you don't get ruined, people assume you are good. Truth is, the dice play the elves more than you do, you cant afford backup plans, but you scarcely need them, so you either pass the 2+ 2+ chain and score, of you fail it and don't and get caged blitzed and fouled. If you fail a few times in a row you cant afford players any-more and all your team is hampered by a shallow bench and a complete lack of ability to reliably dodge with those players (AG4 with reroll is 1/36 failure, AG4 with loner is a fraction worse than 1/12 failure), suddenly some of your players are 3 times more likely to trip over from a dodge if you are fool enough to even spend a reroll on them, 6 times worse if you are not.

Then your lineup of 11 including journeymen gets reduced to maybe 8 or however many players as your journeymen are systematically eliminated because a 1D6 dodge at 2+(1/6) is more risky than a 2D blockless block (1/9) so you are reduced to trying to shove people away, or leaving the loner dodges until the end of the turn.

Eventually your whole team is leaning on a few surviving players who are niggled and mng almost half of your games. The horde of loners mark you as a failure, and people tut "maybe you shouldn't play elves" but the joke is, has you gotten your bank balance secure, rolled a few more 2+ dice and had a streak of armour not breaking you'd be in the champs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    True for the majority of folks, any idiot can roll a bunch of 2+ dice and score. A lot of coaches get lazy, but I've come across some really exceptional elf players in my time (notably the likes of Dolls, Shusaku and Somertown on Fumbbl). It's all about time and field management.

I may look at resurrecting the Raging Naturists if I ever reach my goal of winning the champs - been ages since I've played woodsy elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Janek View Post
    True for the majority of folks, any idiot can roll a bunch of 2+ dice and score.
    And then get known as a great player, don't forget that nuance.

I do mean to open up an AV8 Elf team one day soon, its not that woodies are out of the question its just that they sail even close to the knife edge of poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo View Post
    Hey guys,
    Don't know when this season ends but shards and I were suppose to play this weekend if we caught one another on steam but he hasn't been on in 2 days? don't know if anyone knows him irl, but ill bechecking or him today, if we cant do it today we will have to admin a draw because due to timezones and work we cant make it happen
    2-1 to JJJJS sees him take Div F whilst I get relegated!

Fair to say that I'm not one of those star elf coaches...

Network Hub
    Near Chicago, IL in the United States of America
    eh, its not as simple as stated above. Its easy to SCORE with elves. winning is often another matter entirely. Keeping pressure on a bashier team without getting your entire team destroyed, setting up for a backup plan (yes, they DO exist, and you'd better darn well have them) in case a given dodge or pass/catch fails, and minimizing the effects of failing rolls while maximizing the effects of successful ones are all important to winning the game.....to score, all you have to do is run some recievers down and blitz free and pass to the one lightest marked....but it won't win you games.

In fact, it could be just as easily reversed. It doesn't take much at all to pick a team with good armor or levelling options, and pick guard, MB, PO, tackle, Frenzy, and/or claw....in whichever order and make 2d blocks all day long until there is no more team left on the other side. The only difference, is that for the most part, people don't look at a bashing team coach that bashes really well as necessarily a great bash coach....they usually have to do something more to get that label.
    Last edited by Limdood; 03-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    http://bbtactics.com/forums/limdoods...-wisdom-t3292/ - My collection of articles on various tactical and strategic concepts in Blood Bowl. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Shards View Post
    2-1 to JJJJS sees him take Div F whilst I get relegated!
    Actually.... Div F has 3 of us on 3 points... I beat INinja, Helio beat me, INinja beat Helio... erm... tie break?

[edit: and we all lost 2-1 to JoeyJoJo... grindy...]

Time for a small slice of hubris....

Firstly the obligatory team photo:

Most of them don't know who each other are so damned if I know! This point is well proven by the stats history of the team:

Under half the team have played more than ten games - five of them new this season! My throwers and linerats have taken the worst of the punishment as is right and proper sharing a measly three skills between them. But the real stars of the team:

The team captain who leads the team in matches played (50), TDs scored (26), MVPs (8), Passes (9), Interceptions (2), Passing Yards (78!) and Rushing Yards (772). The real heartbeat of the team and the key to the teams success. No loose ball is safe with Jumbce Creep around.

Next up is the teams enforcer:

Trikch has definitely seen better days but he continues to pull his weight despite the numerous war wounds. Unsurprisingly he tops the team casualty table with 26 injuries caused in his 47 games. Rumours that now he has finally won the championship has led to him rethinking his retirement plan are wide of the mark and the soldiers soldier will continue to tear a swathe of destruction through the league.

Finally the obligatory one turner - I couldnt put a picture up due to forum restrictions but the skill set is +MA, block, dodge, sidestep and an unallocated level up.

Just an inexperienced upstart compared to the two wily campaigners above but still a valuable tool in the Global Warping armory. While still only second in the teams TD charts with 16 TDs Slintch is closing rapidly on Jumbce Creeps current total and is scoring at a much faster rate having only played 24 games so far. Having leveled in the final game of the season Slintch is undecided what area he should work on to take him to the next level.
    Global Warping (Skaven) - RPS Divisions of Death Champions Seasons 34-36

Quote Originally Posted by Shards View Post
    Actually.... Div F has 3 of us on 3 points... I beat INinja, Helio beat me, INinja beat Helio... erm... tie break?

[edit: and we all lost 2-1 to JoeyJoJo... grindy...]
    Absolute failure, we didn't only lose the season, we failed to do anything different, we failed to even reliably fail. We should all be demoted...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Great stuff 20phoenix! I remember the guy with 3 stat injuries, amazed he's still going :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Tier 1 is going to be terrible next season! So far we have:

Me (underworld)
    Grinn (orc)
    Wink (lizards on steroids)
    mrpier (chaos)
    Chadsexington (chaos dwarf)
    Groovychainsaw (norse)

Favourites for promotion are

Chainsawhands (chaos dwarf)
    Screwie (dark elf)

A bastard of a tier in prospect!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just a reminder that the season ends on WEDNESDAY.

It would be great to be able to do the draw on say Thursday or Friday, and for us to start next week. Please try to get your games in on time - there are a large number still outstanding. I currently have zero requests for extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Tier 1 is going to be terrible next season! So far we have:

Me (underworld)
    Grinn (orc)
    Wink (lizards on steroids)
    mrpier (chaos)
    Chadsexington (chaos dwarf)
    Groovychainsaw (norse)

Favourites for promotion are

Chainsawhands (chaos dwarf)
    Screwie (dark elf)

A bastard of a tier in prospect!
    Makes me glad I got demoted!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Argh, double the Chaos Dwarf, and more Chaos to boot?? :/

(...and Grinn!!)
    Last edited by Screwie; 03-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    More people should play elves so stuff is less bashy up here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    You sir are a scientist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Fewer people should play AV9 bash so stuff is more interesting up here!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Much belated congrats 20p! Well done mate.

Also I'm back from Belgium, if my game hasn't been adminned yet.